A New Folder from CRK

I really like the handle shape, it must be very comfortable in hand but I'm not fond of that blade design. I would prefer a kind of regular swedge blade, something more utility-ish.
I hope hope that blade shape will change or a regular one will be available too...

Doesn`t the 21 have the inlay option? I mean essentially it`s just a Classic, so I thought the inlay options were still available........ .

Correct, I forgot about that. That's what happens when I type before my morning coffee :)

Guy

Does it employ a pivot bushing like the Sebenza? That's kind of a big deal.

I spent a lot of time at the show talking to them about their knife. Technically it is better than the Sebenza in the pivot bushing and the thumb stud is very easy to use.

I do wish that the spine of the blade was flat and they would lose the S30V.

Correct, I forgot about that. That's what happens when I type before my morning coffee :)

Guy

Well, actually I am not sure that the inlays are still available............I can`t recall if there was anything posted on that or not. It would seem logical though..... . ;)

I too was able to handle it on Friday. Dave was kind enough to explain the improvements - and all I can say is WOW! The opening and closing is so smooth! As I understood it, the washer has holes to help hold the lubricant, so that smooth feeling will last eons longer. The knife really feels fine in the hand. Blade is just that much better by being a bit stouter. The knife just looks and feels like a user - no safe queens here! And then remembering this is going to be CRK quality?!! Ha! No hesitation here, I'm going to get one soon as they are available!
I would like to express my appreciation that I did not know the prototypes were for sale. (Direct correlation between my knife buying habits and staying happily married...):p:D

I spent a lot of time at the show talking to them about their knife. Technically it is better than the Sebenza in the pivot bushing and the thumb stud is very easy to use.

Why the large pivot "nut"? Do they expect people will be using the new folder as a prybar?

Thanks,
Rich

Why the large pivot "nut"? Do they expect people will be using the new folder as a prybar?

Thanks,
Rich

Nice to know you could if you had too.
I noticed the lock bar moved a little to far over for me,fine to some.
Chris said that the washers on the productions would be a little bigger to take up a touch more slack on the lock.

There's a certain amount of "prying" in cutting through tough materials, maybe working the knife into the cut. This doesn't mean designing a knife to pry open windows.

I would think having a broader tang within the handle is important in strengthening a knife for prying. The large pivot should eliminate blade play.

I`m a huge CRK fan and have all previous models starting with the Umfan, Mnandi, small reg and classic and the big reg.
What I don`T understand looking at the new design is:
by replacing the stop-pin of the seb design and putting it in the blade the tension of the blade of the new folder has obviously to be adjusted by the pivot screw alone and is not set fixed as with the seb. This imho is one feature that always set the seb apart from all the rest out there.
Why drop such a unique feature???

BTW, I suggest we call it the Useb, which is much easier to type and remember. ;)

by replacing the stop-pin of the seb design and putting it in the blade the tension of the blade of the new folder has obviously to be adjusted by the pivot screw alone and is not set fixed as with the seb.
I don't see why the tension of the blade is not fixed simply because the thumblugs serve as stop pins. From what I've read, the pivot of the Umnumzaan needs less adjustment than on the Sebenza because it is self-lubricating on a longer-term basis.

Hopefully CRK can provide some additional insight into how the new pivot compares with the Sebbie style when they recover from Blade. Whether or not anyone likes the styling, the real question for a CRK folder is the pivot design. I cannot imagine Chris would go backwards so I can only imagine the new pivot screw has mating shoulders or something similar to the Sebbie and Mnandi bushing.

Has anyone else googled unmunzaan only to find that it is supposed to be spelled umnumzana?

From what I understood the pivot worked the same as on a Sebenza.

I haven't seen many people objecting to the blade design. Sebenzas are conservative looking knives....this is a break from the usual.
I think I will get a closer look at one before I leap.
I was holding out for this new knife.
Sorry to hear the regular is "out".

If this knife is for fighting I would think the handle would have a little more of an extended guard. Or, maybe this is just for general hard use and not so much for thrusting?
But then why the major checkering? It would seem to be there should your hand be wet with something slippery.

I completely agree about the guard. I like the general size, shape and checkering, but it could definitely use a more pronounced guard like an Emerson or XM-18.

i too held it for quite a while and agree with you on the flat spine. other than that it is a very nice folder. :thumbup:

Back