A New Folder from CRK

I am impressed with the new design...
Although i feel the Lrg Regular was just the perfect design.. I am satisfied with what i see.
I dont like the overall shape of the blade... mainly the tip.. But i love the handle...
BUT WHY! did they have to incorporate a glass breaker into the knife.... That alone almost ruins it for me... For the high price tag that im sure will be slapped on it... But it could always be ground off.....
However... If the standard trademark "R" was removed from the knife.. I wouldn't even think it was a sebbie.. It does look more like knives i see from other custom makers.. None that pop into my head... But has many features that just have not been common to CRK.. Although that could be more good than bad.....
Regardless.. It will be added to my collection in the future... But not till i hear something about it.. and find out the price...
Maybe i should have kept my regular i traded off last week...?

Last edited:
The more I look at it, the less I care for it. I love Ti framelocks, so I gave it a chance, but given that it is a CRK, I just can't help feeling like it is all wrong. The perforated washers is an awesome idea, but the knife looks a bit cheesy, and I like my large regular way too much to buy that.

Bring on a wharny. This isn't my thing.

It does seem kinda puzzling to me. We have been offering suggestions for what we, the bread-n-butter customers who buy several sebs a year, would like to see for years, and then we get, well honestly, nothing of what we wanted.

:thumbup:

I was hoping it would fill a different niche. Honestly, a wharny was all I wanted, and what I got was a more complicated, uglier version of the large regular. I see no reason to spend an outrageous amount of money on something I already have. I also have a sinking feeling that it has no pivot bushing based on the size of that pivot, and that is a no go for me.

Now...do you really think Chris Reeves would price the tool (to take it apart )at $400.00 and the knife at $800.00 :confused:

Chris D.:D

I hope not. I'm not going to jump to a conclusion but if the information from BLADE is correct the numbers are a little extreme for CRK. We still need an official announcement....I'm really surprised that CRK has not posted on the forum before the show. Maybe in the coming week.

Hmm I see that the point is almost in line of the center of the pivot pin
we're getting closer gang! :) we are gettin' closer...

borrowed the image to see this comparison a bit closer; nice Sebbie by the way.

You can see the tip is a tad lower and the straight area of the knife is extended
a bit more than the Sebenza, of course the knife is just a bit longer as well.

lowered.jpg

G2

Last edited:
I saw new folder today and got to handle one for a bit. I LOVED the texture of the new scales. They provide an excellent grip without being too aggressive. Great ergos. :thumbup: Like others who have written in these pages, I too will add the U-word to my collection. But put me on the list of those who are not happy with the glass breaker. :thumbdn:

One more thing...Mrs. Reeve sez the Umnumzaan will not be available until Christmas '08. :( This is because CRK's small factory will be relocating to a new building.

I just got back from Blade, before I went I had seen the pictures and thought I wasn't going to like it but I was Wrong... BIG TIME.

First washers or O-rings on the thumbstuds. It looked like the washers just barely touched the handle during opening and then were squished out of the way to give a secure metal on metal lockup. (Typical Sebbie lock-up, tight, no-play vaultlike, just quieter) the thumbstuds were rounded top and to me a least, easier on the thumb during opening (I was ready to trade in my large sebbie). Also another improvement is that they are relocated out of the cutting path. (sometimes my thumbstud on my large gets caught cutting through cardboard and such, rare but ocasionally it happens)

Second ergos. I really liked the way it felt in my hand. Of course I didn't have any opportunity to do serious cutting, but it felt like a perfect fit for my large hands. YMMV

Next blade shape. Like I said I didn't get to do any real cutting but it just looked cool. Yeah I know Chris reeves knives are all about form following function, but I find the regular sebbie a little bland, this was not bland. Being a Chris reeve knife, I can't imagine it not being an effective cutter.

Finally the glass breaker...I'm not a fan but I had to go back and look at it a second time because I really didn't notice it the first time I handled it. In a word, Unobtrusive.

From the Little that I gleaned from Anne Reeve:

Price: right around the price of a large sebenza

Options: none, no special inlays or patterns planned.

Size: no smaller size in the works or planned

can't wait for the e-mail telling me that mine is ready!!!

Later GDWTVB

I pretty much left my current opinion in the other thread. It no doubt will appeal to some, that's fine with me.

It does seem kinda puzzling to me. We have been offering suggestions for what we, the bread-n-butter customers who buy several sebs a year, would like to see for years, and then we get, well honestly, nothing of what we wanted.
I think this gentleman's statement hit it right on. This is my first post, but I'm not new to Sebs I have owned 14, over the years. This forum appears to represent CRK core customer base. I't could be that CRK is reaching out to a broader group.

Mike

The CRK folder is interesting, but I'm not sure I get what type of work it is designed to do.

Is it more of a "fighting folder" aimed at the same market as many of the Emersons? Or, is it a general purpose hard use knife. Or, both?

I'm not sure what this new knife buys you in terms of utility compared to a Classic Sebenza.

Is the larger pivot (at least on the outside) to make the knife stronger for prying? Or, is it more for a cool, tactical look?

Is nut designed to discourage people from taking the knife apart? Maybe because the new washers are easier to damage if they're not handled carefully?

I would be nice if the forward edge of the choil was angled more so that it would be less likely to catch on things like cloth.

If this knife is for fighting I would think the handle would have a little more of an extended guard. Or, maybe this is just for general hard use and not so much for thrusting?
But then why the major checkering? It would seem to be there should your hand be wet with something slippery.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
I have to admit I get a certain pleasure seeing CRK come out with a more tactical looking folder
after reading all the posts on BF by people almost afraid of having a folder that looks too mean.

I like the new folder and I like the glass breaker too. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on one. I have a feeling this may take the place of my current EDC the large Micarta.:eek:

Remember too that "tactical" can mean combat zone more than combat and that the classic Marine fixed blade is a combat/utility derived from the Marbles Ideal. Soldiers in the field are the ultimate survivalists and need a knife for living off the land more than engaging an enemy directly.

Using the knife under a variety of outdoor conditions will make a good grip worthwhile. You know, "in the blood and the mud and the beer". :) Doing it without inserts is even better.

People have commented on the dip on the blade just forward of the thumb grooves. I thought that was funny because I routinely place my thumb right there on the back of any blade, for control. I'm going to hit that Umnumzaan dip like an old friend.

All I can say after viewing pictures is that it doesn't really strike me one way or another. Don't love it, don't hate it.

I'm not into Sebbies and am not coming from the same perspective as the folks who, from much of what I've read so far, were pinning a lot of hopes on the new model. CRK has made a knife that, outwardly, seems to stay right in their wheelhouse and that hardly strikes me as a bad thing. The real proof will be, as it always is, in the performance and durability. As long as that holds up on the new model like it has for their other knives then I don't think there's really anything lost in the whole equation.

I just found a better scan of the information flyer and it appears that there is not a pivot bushing and it will be in the $400 range. So that may mean the same as he old regular price but I doubt it. Back to the pivot. I'm assuming that the screw is machined so that when one tightens the sex bolt down the female end meets the backside of the head of the male end so there is no adjusting the pivot and the end result with blade movement like the Sebbie. Time will tell if this is true with reviews.

I like the blade shape, double not-pointy lugs, ceramic balls, the fact that you can still take it apart even if it's with a tool, glass/things/people breaker, the thought that went into it and the general CR quality.

I'm not sure about the size: for EDC, I don't like sheaths so this'll have to fit nicely in my front pocket..? On the other hand, I have a small Sebenza and I could see myself buying this to have a larger knife and not have two "identical looking" Sebenzas (which is why I haven't bought a large one).

I don't like the handle checkering and that big ugly pivot. My first reaction when I saw the pics was "I don't like it" and that's all because of the handle. I hope production knives will look a bit different. The more I look at it, the more I'm starting to like it, but still...

I was able to handle the knife (proto 1/20) early morning Friday.

First, it's always a pleasure conversing with Anne. The cool thing. . . .the Reeve's had just arrived, to set their booth up, and she took the time to stop what she was doing, provide us a knife to finger-club, explain all of the design characteristics, and pop out a parts/disassembly tool box, and explain the pieces. :eek:

Second, the knife is SWEET ! Deploying and closing the blade. . . .exceptionally smooth ! I like all of the new design pieces (i.e., large pivot, ergonomics of the scales, new thumb studs, etc.). Very, very impressive. . . .to say the least !

Third, the glass breaker isn't as obtrusive as people are claiming. In fact, it looks as if it's part of the knife design. I can see how the aesthetics of the device could possibly be a turn off. My suggestion. . . . .if you're able. . . .handle the knife first, the aesthetics issue of the device will go away ! ;)

Fourth, I'm undecided about the milling on the scales. Simply, it's such an inconsequential issue.

Fifth, I believe Anne mentioned the take-down tool kit cost, but I honest can't remember the price. I saw her mouth moving, but my eyes and earballs were too glazed over from handling the knife and having her explain the cool stuff on the new knife. :D I know it's not or anywhere near $400 !

Finally, I'm so impressed with this new knife. . . .I've already made plans to obtaining a production model. :thumbup:

The main thing from my point of view is that we're losing a customizable piece. Just look at the picture thread, hundreds of variations of the same knife. The reason I bought a Sebbie was to have a "personalized production" knife. When I take out the knife, nobody comments on the blade, the size, or whatnot, everyone comments on the graphic. That's what stands out for me.

We still have the LE's and the Mnandi, so that's not too bad, but there's nowhere to put any graphics anymore. I wonder what Lisa's going to do now?

Guy

The main thing from my point of view is that we're losing a customizable piece. Just look at the picture thread, hundreds of variations of the same knife. The reason I bought a Sebbie was to have a "personalized production" knife. When I take out the knife, nobody comments on the blade, the size, or whatnot, everyone comments on the graphic. That's what stands out for me.

We still have the LE's and the Mnandi, so that's not too bad, but there's nowhere to put any graphics anymore. I wonder what Lisa's going to do now?

Guy

Doesn`t the 21 have the inlay option? I mean essentially it`s just a Classic, so I thought the inlay options were still available........ .

I handled the knife yesterday. Handle ego's and blade our very nice. I could do without the checkering on the handles.
The only downside is the tools to take it apart or sold separately. Price according to Mrs Reeve around $400.00. Knives should ship around September and Left Hand knives sometime after that. Larry

Sorry , around $400.00 was the price for the knife. I didn't price the tool.

Larry

Back