Any Experience with EGKH kukris?

Hi guys, first time here as a poster and long time as a reader. I know im probably on the wrong thread but a tought this was the best place to talk about kukri, So....here go the questions. Any of u guys have experience with EGKH kukris? if yes, how does it compare in quality with H.I or TKH? and another one....i was looking for this model in particular [removed] and got confused about the serrated top...in other pictures of it u can see that in the serrated part its considerably thiner then the rest of the kukri. This make any difference in the toughness of the blade? And is this REALLY usefull? Thanks for the help and input and sorry about the english, in Brazil we don´t use it so often...hehe

Last edited:
Welcome Marcelo-Cas,

As this is the showroom of Himalayan Imports, i must move your thread to the Cantina and remove your link to the Competitions website.
Please take time to read bladeforums rules, as linking to non member sales site if forbidden.

Oh ok...anyway, the pic of it is the following
10-m(8).jpg

Don´t know about functionality, but certainly looks nice...

Pretty much non functional, not to mention pretty hard on any scabbard or sheath it's put into.

Thx for the reply man. Now another question: the fact that the blade is unpolished (with a black coat on it) really make it rust free like some manufacturers claim? BTW, no toughts on the quality of the EGKH blades yet....guess no one ever had one kukri made by them :p

Thx for the reply man. Now another question: the fact that the blade is unpolished (with a black coat on it) really make it rust free like some manufacturers claim? BTW, no toughts on the quality of the EGKH blades yet....guess no one ever had one kukri made by them :p
It is Forge Finish (at least ours are) and it does not make the blade rust proof, but it does slow the process quite considerably. It will still need oiling and care the same as any other khukuri.
Generally speaking, many people have stated that the quality of KHHI and EGKH are good, but also state that their quality is about equal to what we sell here as "Blems". The quality of both has gotten better in recent years, but still will not match the quality of the full price khukuri sold here. If you use the search function in this forum, in general discussion and possibly knife reviews and testing, you may find more threads about them.

If they're affiliated with KH I have. Didn't like it. The sheathe was loose and split, and I eventually bent the blade chopping on some firewood, and yes, I said bent the blade. Himilayan Imports khukri are of a much higher quality.

As for the khukri you posted, what in god's name do you need a saw-back khukri for? Plan on escaping any downed aircraft with it?

And nothing with iron in it is "rust-free".

On another forum I talked about Ex-Gurkha Khukuri House. Here is what I said:

I have three (3) Khukuris from them. They were the first real kukris I ever bought. At that time I didn't know anything about this big knife (the Kukri) except what some other forums were saying.

Here's my take on Ex-Gurkha Khukuri House and their knives:

:thumbdn: The main drawback of this company is (like most) their Kami's skill and their quality control. I had missing wood, wood shrinkage, grind marks, uneven parts of the blade, sharp areas on the handles, a musty smell to them, for the same price can get higher end Kukri elsewhere, and the knives are just too heavy for my practical needs.

:thumbup: EGKH has fast shipping from Kathmandu (when I ordered them took 10 days), a very sharp tool, seems unbreakable, dedicated wood eaters, comfortable large handles, very good heat treat, and most notably the companies quality seems to be improving judging from the pictures. Those Khukuris even though copied are easy on the eyes. A good effort at least to "get historical".

No bashing here, just a bowl of facts with a dash of opinion. Hope this helps.

i have both

i bought egkh first because the price and deal i got, the first kuk was a jungle version and it was not great, soft ht. and crap wood handle , the next was a 25" oal for 100 shipped(i still think this might be my best one, but it is the largest and not really carry capable). it is great, and probably one of the strongest kuks i have. it has chopped through the most wood with no damage(when i say chop i mean splitting pecan and oak wood and it can compete with an axe) and it has a bevel similar to the bonecutter. the worse part about this was the handle needed to be cleaned up a bit.

then i bought a cak from here. it ended up having a crack in handle. got a replacement and the sheath had a cut in it and it cut my hand because the sheath wasnt put together properly. got a few other small kuks and ended up trading because they didnt feel right, handle too small, ect. i got an older sher 20" ak, and it seems to be put together better, and i have a 20" cak on the way(i personally like the full exposed tang better), i believe it is by kumar if i remember correctly.

in my case, quality seems about the same, but shipping is far better on hi fact they ship from nevada and is usually no more than 3 days

Marcelo, I have no personal experience with the various khukuri houses, but have heard good and bad. With hand made khuks, you will see lemons. With HI, if you get a lemon, you can be assured Auntie will make you lemonade:) Her coustomer service is famous for a reason. The model pictured above is what I would call a fantasy khukuri, as opposed to the very functional model pictured below;). The KH khuk has a neat look, but some of the design aspects are probably not very useful. A saw and a khuk both serve a similiar function, so the saw back isn't needed IMHO. Since it looks like you are interested in heavy-duty khukuri, might I suggest the HI ASTK. Mine is a relatively new aquisition and it blew me away. I HIGHLY recommend this model, especially if you get one under 30 ounces. Take care.

ASTK010.jpg

Last edited:
I actually think leaving the scale on the flats will lead to rust quicker than polishing it out. In any case, it's definitely different than GunKoting or other rust-fighting finishes.

John

Do they still sell this guy? I couldn't find it.

Marcelo, I have no personal experience with the various khukuri houses, but have heard good and bad. With hand made khuks, you will see lemons. With HI, if you get a lemon, you can be assured Auntie will make you lemonade:) Her coustomer service is famous for a reason. The model pictured above is what I would call a fantasy khukuri, as opposed to the very functional model pictured below;). The KH khuk has a neat look, but some of the design aspects are probably not very useful. A saw and a khuk both serve a similiar function, so the saw back isn't needed IMHO. Since it looks like you are interested in heavy-duty khukuri, might I suggest the HI ASTK. Mine is a relatively new aquisition and it blew me away. I HIGHLY recommend this model, especially if you get one under 30 ounces. Take care.

ASTK010.jpg

Do they still sell this guy? I couldn't find it.

Yep, the ASTK is a fairly new khuk having only been out for a couple of years. It's a graceful monster. I have a 15" version that is just about as bombproof as you can make a khuk.

ASTK010.jpg

What's the measurements on this ASTK kukri? Inches and ounces? I'm interested. If I call, what do I tell them I want?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What's the measurements on this ASTK kukri? Inches and ounces? I'm interested. If I call, what do I tell them I want?

Thanks!

Measurements depend on the size of the khukuri. And may vary even on khukuri of the same size.
I've seen 18" ASTK range from 26oz to 41oz. There have also been 17.5" and 15" ASTK's
If you type ASTK in the search box at the upper right corner of our forum you will find much information about them.
ASTK stands for Amar Singh Thapa Khukuri. Auntie prefers Emails, but you may call if you must.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1003268-Couple-of-blems-for-10-22?highlight=ASTK
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...s-for-9-7-Pix-and-Awesome-Buys?highlight=ASTK

Wacki, sorry for the long wait. I hadn't seen your question. My ASTK is 18" and 29 oz. There is a review in the main forum. I'll have to look it up later. I really like the ASTK. As with all models, there is some variance. Generally, you will now see them in either the 15" or 18" range, as Karda and Steely have said. The 18" can run from 27 oz. to 40 oz. Mine is a nice weight, but I have really started to prefer khuks no more than 26 oz. or so for general use. The size of this ASTK puts it in the heavy weight category for ME. Others will disagree, and it's all personal preference. You will also see some with long handles and some with short handles. The long handle adds versatility, but the short handle looks better to me, again it's personal preference. I'd personally love to see one with short handle, 18", and about 24 oz. A 3/8" spine at the bolster tapering to 1/4" at the shoulder would be nice. It would be an outstanding all around khuk.

For the model in general, I think it's one of the best HI has in the heavy category. It fills the same niche as the HI M43 IMHO. If you're looking for a khuk in this size and weight, I highly reccomend the ASTK. They are very popular. I would reccomend waiting for one on the DOTD, or checking with Auntie to see if she knows of more coming. It seems the kamis work in batches and if a particular model is being requested, a shipment usually seems to follow with multiples of that model. Take care.

jdk1,

Thanks for the detailed response.

Just curious, how tall / big are you? I'm 6'-5" so trying to get your weight specs in perspective. I have a 16" WWII and I'm debating between a 18" ASTK or 18 or 20" Ang Khola for a heavy chopper.

Back