Any Experience with EGKH kukris?

I'm 6'3" with a medium build. My most used HI khuk is a 16.5" WWII. It's a wonderful design for general use. For a heavy chopper, there are plenty to choose from. The real dedicated choppers are the Bonecutter and Ganga Ram, with AKs, M43s, and a whole host of others making great choppers as well. The ASTK and M43, in the proper weight, can be great choppers and serve well in general use. None of this is absolute. There are those who swear by different models, this is just my experience and what I've read repeatedly. My taste in khukuri has changed somewhat. As neat as the big, heavy khuks are, I really like lighter khuks. Part of this is simply where I live. The only pine forest anywhere near me is a state park and they'd shoot me if I was caught hacking my way though that place. I really prefer something close to 25 oz. or less as I have no real need for heavy chopping, but even light, packable khuks are capable of chopping well enough if the need arose. I've also had multiple surgeries on each arm and one shoulder. I just don't enjoy swinging a heavy blade and it took me a while to realize that fact. I am perfectly happy with my 29 oz. ASTK as my "heavy". If I do need to chop, the khuk needs to handle very hard wood like oak and mesquite. The ASTK is very well built to handle such. It fits well into the category of end-of-the-world blades:D Either of those you mentioned would work well for what you want, and there are many here who like the real big'uns as well. Just be careful. A good friend picked up a 40+ oz. Bonecutter. He loves it, but not for actual use. It chops like an axe, but is about as fun as one. He discovered his 16.5" WWII was a more efficient chopper, as he could use it and expend much less energy. He can also carry it around all day without a worry. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

My ASTK is about 18.5" long, has an almost 1/2" thick spine at the bolster and shoulder, tapers from the shoulder to the edge grind and weights 41.7 onces on my postage scale. I am 6'-4" tall and weight about 175 pounds. Do to it's weight, I don't carry this Khukri when hiking, backpacking or general woods bumming. It's one of my Car camping blades that hardly see's use. Though now that I'm in better shape, I'll probably start using more on car camping trips next year.

The ASTK is based off a Khukri that General Amar Singh Thapa carried and used back in the 1800's. IIRC General Amar Singh Thapa helped the King of the Gorkha City state Unite Nepal under one rule. If you do a search online for Amar Singh Thapa you'll find lots of neat info.

After getting my ASTK, I had the chance to use 2 others and compare all 3. IIRC one was a 15" the other was a lighter weight 18". The Lighter weight 18" Felt like it would make a great Combat blade. Heavy chopping, splitting and Limbing are what my 41.7oz model really excels at.

Hope this helps.

I have both the egkh and the HI longer 18" oal kukri. They are both great. The fit an finish on the HI is great but had the tradition handle not the full tang the egkh has. Both have cut wood just fine. I think the HI is a nicer over all knife but the egkh I would buy again.
beaae1f38c36865da1e53e681ef2be50.jpg

The fit an finish on the HI is great but had the tradition handle not the full tang the egkh has.

Any of the models in the HI lineup can be done with the full tang (Chiruwa Style). Some models come with the full tang always, such as the CAK, and M43, others come usually with the traditional handle, but can be done with a full tang, if custom ordered.

There are a number of threads that discuss why a full tang on a chopping Khuk is a BAD choice. Why would anyone want one that way? Khuks are designed the way they are because that is the way they work the best. Chiruwa style khuks have their place, but it is not on a chopping khuk IMNHO.

There are a number of threads that discuss why a full tang on a chopping Khuk is a BAD choice. Why would anyone want one that way? Khuks are designed the way they are because that is the way they work the best. Chiruwa style khuks have their place, but it is not on a chopping khuk IMNHO.

Touché! Always the voice of reason! (Well almost)! :):thumbup::):thumbup:

We should keep a tally of how many HI khuks with traditional hilts have failed. I'm guessing the number approaches zero.

We should keep a tally of how many HI khuks with traditional hilts have failed. I'm guessing the number approaches zero.

I personally prefer the traditional handle in wood, but the chiruwa handle on the M43 seems to really work for me too though :D

Oh, and please don't get me wrong. I am NOT a Chiruwa hater. I have a number of HI blades with them several knives of various styles as well as my favorite baby CAK that I EDC. But for chopping, my preference is wood (the horn is just a touch slick for me when I sweat as my hands while large for a gal are pretty small compared to a guys. but if the choice is rough up the horn or let my HIKV continue well Horn is still awesome too. ;) And traditional tang so the vibration of the strike is deadened instead of running up my arm :D LOVE that BAS Danzig. One of my favorite shaped blades and very versatile.

Yes my 1st couple ones were the super huge 1/2 thick bladed ones which are decent choppers but I find I am liking a 9"-10.5" blade the best.

danzig's post 24 is comparing a non-hi chiruwa tin chirra and a hi ang khola (which also comes in chiruwa if you ask for it). the HI is likely heavier. when comparing prices, don't forget to add in the shipping costs, you may be surprised at the results. the full length peened hidden tang of HI models is substantial and should last almost as long as a chiruwa version.

p.s. - i am not fond of lanyards for khukuri, the idea of a few pounds of razor swinging around in an uncontrolled arc that might intersect with myself is scary.

danzig's post 24 is comparing a non-hi chiruwa tin chirra and a hi ang khola (which also comes in chiruwa if you ask for it). the HI is likely heavier. when comparing prices, don't forget to add in the shipping costs, you may be surprised at the results. the full length peened hidden tang of HI models is substantial and should last almost as long as a chiruwa version.

p.s. - i am not fond of lanyards for khukuri, the idea of a few pounds of razor swinging around in an uncontrolled arc that might intersect with myself is scary.
+1 on the "no whacking great lumps of sharp stuff on a string in decreasing orbits around my head". LOL.

the only exception i might make is on a hand-to-hand encounter with people who didn't like me and shouting in a different language who also were swinging sharp pointy things on strings as well as flinging lumps of lead willy-nilly (and hopefully missing). at that stage dropping your last weapon might get uncomfortable.

p.s. - 'yankee' qualifies as a different language, durned bluebellies ;).

Back