Asymmetric Edge Resource Thread

Far from E Z P Z - the asymmetric edges that Jerry did were NOT chisel grind - read this post page 1 and page 2 - i just bumped it up - It is a very unique process and one that Jerry apparantly mastered and has decided that it's too labor intensive, and most people can't sharpen the edge properly. I've never used mine at all.

So you disagree with Timmy on EZPZ, even though you have not used your Assym Edge?

looks
So you disagree with Timmy on EZPZ, even though you have not used your Assym Edge?
Certainly seems to be that way doesnt it?

idk if this guy knows what hes talking about. I've sharpened my knife several times and it is just that.

EASILY sharp. THATS THE POINT OF THE GRIND. I KNOW HOW TO SHARPEN MY KNIVES PROPERLY.

in case it needs to be said... 🤨🥱

Last edited:
looks

Certainly seems to be that way doesnt it?

idk if this guy knows what hes talking about. I've sharpened my knife several times and it is just that.

EASILY sharp. THATS THE POINT OF THE GRIND. I KNOW HOW TO SHARPEN MY KNIVES PROPERLY.

in case it needs to be said... 🤨🥱
Well is that not what these threads are designed to do? They are here to have as a "bible" of information. I read this thread from the beginning. Everyone here has an opinion. I have one and you do as well - what Is wrong with that?

Last edited:
Well is that not what these threads are designed to do? They are here to have as a "bible" of information. I read this thread from the beginning. Everyone here has an opinion. I have one and you do as well - what Is wrong with that?

That wasn't the point. I trust the opinion of someone with knowledge and experience and I don't trust the opinion of someone who lacks that knowledge or experience. Tim was speaking from experience, you were not. I also would rather not pollute a thread meant as resource with arguments like this. So lets move on to resources.

here is the paper that came with the Basic 9

IckqIly.jpg

That wasn't the point. I trust the opinion of someone with knowledge and experience and I don't trust the opinion of someone who lacks that knowledge or experience. Tim was speaking from experience, you were not. I also would rather not pollute a thread meant as resource with arguments like this. So lets move on to resources.

here is the paper that came with the Basic 9

IckqIly.jpg

Anyone with an angle cube should be able to sharpen an asymmetric edge. It's not rocket science. Measure the angle and use a sharpie. You'll know in the first stroke whether or not you've matched the original angle.

Anyone with an angle cube should be able to sharpen an asymmetric edge. It's not rocket science. Measure the angle and use a sharpie. You'll know in the first stroke whether or not you've matched the original angle.

angle grinder?

T toker I certainly do NOT disagree with that assessment. However - that is not what i was attempting to highlight. The point being - Jerry has his own magic - and it is obvious that this "may or may not be" recreated in other ways. But it is obvious that there is only one way to buy a asymmetrical Busse - get a Busse. Just because someone attempts to build a replica Lamborghini tractor does not mean it is the real deal.

angle grinder?
I'm sure it could be done, but I'm a butcher with an angle grinder.

Any of the guided sharpening systems would make the job really easy.

T toker I certainly do NOT disagree with that assessment. However - that is not what i was attempting to highlight. The point being - Jerry has his own magic - and it is obvious that this "may or may not be" recreated in other ways. But it is obvious that there is only one way to buy a asymmetrical Busse - get a Busse. Just because someone attempts to build a replica Lamborghini tractor does not mean it is the real deal.
I use a Wicked Edge. I can put a better angle on any a knife than a factory can since most of them do it with a grinder.

Sharpening isn't akin to building.

🤣 A metaphor for an edge is not a lambo,it is the tires on a lambo. lol. You can say that the asym edge is like a set of michelin sport cup tires on the lambo. Are they better than the pirelli trofeo r? well that's all subjective. Tires wear out, so do edges. Once the edge is worn, you no longer have the Busse edge you talked about. So by your definition, once someone uses the knife it is no longer worth what it was. So why buy it for it's edge in the first place. Might as well get a convex edge which performs as well on soft materials and better on hard materials. And anyone can replicate it.

I'm sure it could be done, but I'm a butcher with an angle grinder.

Any of the guided sharpening systems would make the job really easy.

I use a Wicked Edge. I can put a better angle on any a knife than a factory can since most of them do it with a grinder.

Sharpening isn't akin to building.

Agreed. If you know how to do edges, you can easily recreate an asymmetrical edge.

Back