At The Ready (ATR) Anyone

I think the ATR is an awesome knife. Looks good for a self defense blade too. I love how it's a compression framelock too although the ATR2 is not.

I would be for a new ATR model but only if they would bring back the Titanium handled version. Also I would absolutely insist on them offering it up in Spyderedge just like they did on the original run ( 2003).

They were talking about an ATR Sprint Run in the past few months>> I believe it was around last fall when they were talking about it.

I've got one of the originals in stainless laying around somewhere. Never cared much for it. I don't expect to like the new one any better.

Wait was the original ATR a Ti handle or a Stainless steel handle. Seems like Yablanowitz is saying steel, JD Spydo is saying Ti.

Could be wrong - think the ATR was offered in SS & Ti @ different times.

Correct. I had a serrated edge in stainless for a while and to this day it's the only knife I regret selling. I wanted a plain edge and feared I would be unable to keep the serrated edge sharp... now I have grown to love the serrated edge... either way I will have an ATR2 as soon as they are available. I'm pretty sure it's the same lock as the PM2.

If I remember right, the titanium version had S30V steel and was made in Golden, while the stainless steel version was VG-10 and was made in Seki. Both were made in PE and SE, and the stainless one was done in black as well. All shared tip up only carry, a Cobra Hood that could wave the knife open, often unexpectedly, and possibly the stoutest clip ever put on a production knife.

One of those patterns I tried to like but just couldn't warm up to, unlike the Caly or the Dragonfly, both instant love. Hey you know what they say, can't please all the people all the time and Sal and company have a pretty good record so far. :thumbsup:

If I remember right, the titanium version had S30V steel and was made in Golden, while the stainless steel version was VG-10 and was made in Seki. Both were made in PE and SE, and the stainless one was done in black as well. All shared tip up only carry, a Cobra Hood that could wave the knife open, often unexpectedly, and possibly the stoutest clip ever put on a production knife.

Yeah some dude at my local knife store was carrying one and I wanted to try and wave it. It can be done but it is a sort of awkward sideways wave akin to when you wave with thumbstuds.

The Titanium version was first introduced in 2003>> the 2003 dealer's catalog will bear me out on that one for sure. And the stainless handled ATR wasn't introduced until late 2004 or early 2005 and I forget exactly which time period it was but the Titanium version was introduced far ahead of the stainless version. Like I said the Spyderco dealer's catalogs will attest to that. JD

The Titanium version was first introduced in 2003>> the 2003 dealer's catalog will bear me out on that one for sure. And the stainless handled ATR wasn't introduced until late 2004 or early 2005 and I forget exactly which time period it was but the Titanium version was introduced far ahead of the stainless version. Like I said the Spyderco dealer's catalogs will attest to that. JD

Yeah some dude at my local knife store was carrying one and I wanted to try and wave it. It can be done but it is a sort of awkward sideways wave akin to when you wave with thumbstuds.

Here's a tip: don't try carrying it clipped inside your waistband. That Cobra Hood works real well from there, at least to get the blade open far enough to assassinate your shirt. If you're lucky like me, you get to keep both of your kidneys.

I was interested in the ATR @ one point and remember reading through a couple info packed threads about the ATR. Couldn't find those threads.

Thanks for the info JD Spydo

Here's a tip: don't try carrying it clipped inside your waistband. That Cobra Hood works real well from there, at least to get the blade open far enough to assassinate your shirt. If you're lucky like me, you get to keep both of your kidneys.

So all I have to do to start harvesting kidneys is lend them an ATR and tell them it works best clipped inside the waistband?

Hello $$$$$$!!! :D

I was interested in the ATR @ one point and remember reading through a couple info packed threads about the ATR. Couldn't find those threads.

Thanks for the info JD Spydo

I can't remember the exact website but there is one out there that has those older catalogs. I even loaned the guy my 1990 Spyderco catalog for him to have it on that particular website about 4 years ago. But it has all of those older Spyderco Dealer's catalogs and you can see it for yourself.

The stainless handled version of the ATR wasn't even offered until at least a year after the Titanium version was released. The Titanium version had 4 holes or divots on the handle whereas the stainless version had 6 holes/divots on it's handle. They are indeed different folders when you look at them up close.

Wonder if they moved to Steel from Ti handles to increase the life of the knife - Steel on Steel interface.

Wonder if they moved to Steel from Ti handles to increase the life of the knife - Steel on Steel interface.

No I don't think that was a factor at all. Actually I heard from two reliable sources that they had manufacturing problems with the Titanium ATR. Even when the Ti ATR was in production they were extremely hard to get your hands on. It took me almost a year before I was able to get a PE & SE set of the Titanium ATR model. Whereas the stainless version was easily available for a long time even after the Titanium version was discontinued.

It's still very hard to even find a used Titanium ATR. I believe they are one of the Top 5 most difficult Spyders to find. Actually I haven't even seen a stainless model for sale in at least two years or so.

I had a ss pe that I got on the bay for $100 in good + condition. I got when I was just getting

into Spydies in 09'. I traded it for another Spydie iirc.

I had a ss pe that I got on the bay for $100 in good + condition. I got when I was just getting

into Spydies in 09'. I traded it for another Spydie iirc.

The stainless ATR models were relatively easy to get probably all the way up to around 2011. But the Titanium models were never easy to acquire. Even when the Titanium ATR models were in the prime of their production period they were not easy to find. I had never experienced one of Spyderco's blades in the prime time of their actual production period so hard to obtain as was the Titanium
ATR.

Even the Spyderedged Ti ATR brought big bucks whenever you could find one for up for sale or auction which wasn't all that often. The Ti ATR was truly the most elusive model I can ever remember. With the exception of maybe a couple of the Sprint Runs I never found one of their models so hard to obtain.

Which is one of the reasons I would like to see it back in production because there are a lot of serious Spyderco fans who would love the chance to get a real coveted classic Spyder.

Back