Be Glad You Live here in the USA and Not in the UK

What’s not banned in the UK?
To answer this seriously, non-locking knives under 3" should be okay to carry just to carry, but the law is sometimes different in practice... there are scores of people who have been released to walk, with a DOUBLE-ILLEGAL Opinel (because of the length over 3", and the locking collar), but others have been arrested for totally UK legal SAKs and dragged through the legal system, to no real end, to be let go eventually, pretty much by the "scary black furniture vs classic grandpa's wooden furniture" rule.

Yes, fixed blades of all sorts are legal, except for "Zombie Knives", being defined as "Zombie knives are ornate blades which are regularly printed with images or words which glamorise violence. The ban prohibits the sale, manufacture, rental or importation of the blades". So, a normal, legal knife can be made illegal, I guess, if you M-Techify it a little, add some green paint and call it the "head-slasher". However, it really sets a bad precedent to all sorts of bad things because... these terms don't mean anything or change the actual knife, like I said, any fixed blade is legal in your house so long as it ain't got some violent zombie stuff on it. Next, they could make "military" knives illegal for all it seems.

I'm UK based and now can't import anything off of the Terava site, tried to order a Skrama. They have a notice on their site stating no imports into the UK.

Also my Lionsteel T6 was stopped at UK customs so it seems very few/no imports are getting in. I spoke to Lionsteel and Heinnie Haynes who informed me their main couriers aren't currently bringing knives into the country!

Lol I wish I lived in the UK... you haven't seen knife laws here in Italy; basically ANY knife, even pinky-length ones, which don't even lock, can get you into trouble if you are walking in the city and if you don't have a "valid reason", meaning you aren't in full trekking/camping attire and are far off any town center. And let's not get into auto knives, balisongs, assisted knives, switchblades and double edged daggers/knives which can't even be owned in your own home, they are in fact considered "proper weapons", which require a lengthy permit which, in case you don't have, you can get fined or even arrested for possessing these knives. In fact these knives are straight up illegal; it's ironic how you are more likely to be able to carry an Italian stiletto in Texas than in Italy. On the other hand knives that open with one hand and have a blade that locks are basically on the borderline to be considered weapons. You can own them but you really need to be careful about carrying them, only being allowed to have them with you when camping, even the most basic liner lock folder, with these knives being forbidden anywhere and at any time unless you again have this "valid reason" which can totally be subjective and depending on whether the officer is having a good or a bad day can pretty much screw you up, not there being an objective and precise law about knives, which at least they have in the UK. I've heard in fact that in the UK you can carry a knife I believe under 3'' with a non locking blade without needing a "valid reason", which is something I'd personally be grateful for if it was allowed here.
Didn’t know Italy was that bad! I thought you could at least own auto knives and stilettos but couldn’t carry them. How are they being made and sold there if they’re THAT illegal? I also thought balisongs were legal to own but not carry as well. You need a special permit to own them? Are the stilettos made for export and sale to tourists only?

Didn’t know Italy was that bad! I thought you could at least own auto knives and stilettos but couldn’t carry them. How are they being made and sold there if they’re THAT illegal? I also thought balisongs were legal to own but not carry as well. You need a special permit to own them? Are the stilettos made for export and sale to tourists only?
Because the police don't frisk down businesses and factories, and the laws are not... they don't CARE to actually enforce them. They want to bust a person walking down the street with a knife, for the IDEA that that person might have something they could use to defend themself.

They don't actually care to go after business, even if it's illegal, because the law is a farce. In the USA, when we say it's illegal to manufacture machine guns... we don't just bust you for having an auto switch on your Glock when a cop sees it, and then let the businesses alone. Colt can't just start making autos and send them to a country that isn't so strict about autos, the way Italy freely makes automatics and Lionsteel isn't worried. Nobody is coming to enforce a knife law over at a knife factory. Boker may do it in a strictly-speaking legal way, I don't know, just to look on the up-and-up, "Our company complies with laws, we are not lawbreakers!", some people are very offended at the idea of breaking a law, no matter how stupid or ridiculous or not "real".

Technically, they can't say "A stiletto may NEVER exist in Italy, because, what about museums, what about a potential SF unit," not that those guys usually always need autos, but in theory... So, by the permit thing, it's not like you can go and get a permit for an auto as a civilian. It's to make it illegal. It's so that, in theory, if you had a historical stiletto belonging to, idk, Vito Corleone's grandfather, you could keep it for display in your museum, or if you are a tactical operator for the French SWAT team, you could have one.

What I'm saying is, I don't think the laws are truly that strict about businesses and manufacturers, as Balisongs and autos are a felony here in CA and you can get one in any crappy pawn shop, swap meet, mall shop, stand, whatever... they don't check the knives before they come into the peanut stand, I guess. So, you could probably get one like that in Italy, too, but the law is moreso there so that they can bust you if they find it on you and they don't like it. It's not a "serious, enforced" law, it's just there to fk over the average dude.

I'm UK based and now can't import anything off of the Terava site, tried to order a Skrama. They have a notice on their site stating no imports into the UK.

Also my Lionsteel T6 was stopped at UK customs so it seems very few/no imports are getting in. I spoke to Lionsteel and Heinnie Haynes who informed me their main couriers aren't currently bringing knives into the country!
UK Customs is very strict about knives. Hey, as a UK knives enthusiast, I would love to show you this guy, and get your opinion/reaction to what you think of this kind of person. Have you ever met a guy like this? Has he had his bobby or billy or jimmy or whatever cut off? "I mean, look at it, it's EVIL!!!"

Because the police don't frisk down businesses and factories, and the laws are not... they don't CARE to actually enforce them. They want to bust a person walking down the street with a knife, for the IDEA that that person might have something they could use to defend themself.

They don't actually care to go after business, even if it's illegal, because the law is a farce. In the USA, when we say it's illegal to manufacture machine guns... we don't just bust you for having an auto switch on your Glock when a cop sees it, and then let the businesses alone. Colt can't just start making autos and send them to a country that isn't so strict about autos, the way Italy freely makes automatics and Lionsteel isn't worried. Nobody is coming to enforce a knife law over at a knife factory. Boker may do it in a strictly-speaking legal way, I don't know, just to look on the up-and-up, "Our company complies with laws, we are not lawbreakers!", some people are very offended at the idea of breaking a law, no matter how stupid or ridiculous or not "real".

Technically, they can't say "A stiletto may NEVER exist in Italy, because, what about museums, what about a potential SF unit," not that those guys usually always need autos, but in theory... So, by the permit thing, it's not like you can go and get a permit for an auto as a civilian. It's to make it illegal. It's so that, in theory, if you had a historical stiletto belonging to, idk, Vito Corleone's grandfather, you could keep it for display in your museum, or if you are a tactical operator for the French SWAT team, you could have one.

What I'm saying is, I don't think the laws are truly that strict about businesses and manufacturers, as Balisongs and autos are a felony here in CA and you can get one in any crappy pawn shop, swap meet, mall shop, stand, whatever... they don't check the knives before they come into the peanut stand, I guess. So, you could probably get one like that in Italy, too, but the law is moreso there so that they can bust you if they find it on you and they don't like it. It's not a "serious, enforced" law, it's just there to fk over the average dude.
So it’s one of those things where what the written law suggests and how enforcement of the law is handled are entirely different? Got it. That said, a lot of people probably mistakenly think they’re totally legal in Italy since they’re so widely available and are always being manufactured there. I’m sure many have carried them totally unaware they could get in trouble.

Last edited:
So it’s one of those things where what the written law suggests and how enforcement of the law is handled are entirely different? Got it. That said, a lot of people probably mistakenly think they’re totally legal in Italy since they’re so widely available and are always being manufactured there. I’m sure many have carried them totally unaware they could get in trouble.
Yeah, basically if you look "normal" enough... it's fine. A guy here talked about a woman in a McDonalds, normal woman with her kids, pulling out a totally illegal Italian-style stiletto OTF, firing it open, cutting open her kid's sandwich, and putting it back like nothing, nobody bats an eyebrow at that. If she pisses off the wrong cop, though, that'd be bad. It's very subjective, cops here where I live in LA (and a lot of other places) often do a "hand test", and if the blade extends past the palm, they say something like "Oh, you shouldn't be carrying this one..." and most people are so ignorant and scared of breaking a law, they'll hand over their 4" Kershaw saying "Oh, I'm sorry, I had no idea, I never would have!". If you question it, and claim its legality, especially respectfully you are much more likely to walk away with it. If not, you could argue for it at the station because they must charge you to confiscate against your will (but not if you willingly give it up cause you say "Oh, oops, here, sorry!") and it's a clear cut case - the knife is legal and will be returned. Most won't go through the trouble, so it goes to a cop's kid, or sometimes, but not as often, the knife will "disappear". You call about it and, I'm sorry, I've never heard of it, I'll keep an eye out and ask around though... Sorry for rambling about the USA, but yeah, it's crazy.

If a 3" (over the limit) OTF is discovered at the bottom of a busy woman's purse, they'll give her a pass if they're decent people. They see me with my 100% legal Espada XL, they'd hassle me almost surely. They just.... don't want a 20-something male walking around with that for fear of what I could do. I get it a little, but on the other hand, I may carry what is legal! They would love to jack my Espada, unfortunately. Hell, a 3" PM2 is big to some.

UK Customs is very strict about knives. Hey, as a UK knives enthusiast, I would love to show you this guy, and get your opinion/reaction to what you think of this kind of person. Have you ever met a guy like this? Has he had his bobby or billy or jimmy or whatever cut off? "I mean, look at it, it's EVIL!!!"
That’s a child, LARPing in a man costume.

That’s a child, LARPing in a man costume.
Indeed, I couldn't finish watching that imbecile. Objects as evil... 🙄

Hitler was evil, Stalin was evil, rapists and child molesters are evil. Dropping a legal knife in your pocket so you don't have to muddle through life tearing things with your teeth and keys most certainly isn't.

Yeah, basically if you look "normal" enough... it's fine. A guy here talked about a woman in a McDonalds, normal woman with her kids, pulling out a totally illegal Italian-style stiletto OTF, firing it open, cutting open her kid's sandwich, and putting it back like nothing, nobody bats an eyebrow at that. If she pisses off the wrong cop, though, that'd be bad. It's very subjective, cops here where I live in LA (and a lot of other places) often do a "hand test", and if the blade extends past the palm, they say something like "Oh, you shouldn't be carrying this one..." and most people are so ignorant and scared of breaking a law, they'll hand over their 4" Kershaw saying "Oh, I'm sorry, I had no idea, I never would have!". If you question it, and claim its legality, especially respectfully you are much more likely to walk away with it. If not, you could argue for it at the station because they must charge you to confiscate against your will (but not if you willingly give it up cause you say "Oh, oops, here, sorry!") and it's a clear cut case - the knife is legal and will be returned. Most won't go through the trouble, so it goes to a cop's kid, or sometimes, but not as often, the knife will "disappear". You call about it and, I'm sorry, I've never heard of it, I'll keep an eye out and ask around though... Sorry for rambling about the USA, but yeah, it's crazy.

If a 3" (over the limit) OTF is discovered at the bottom of a busy woman's purse, they'll give her a pass if they're decent people. They see me with my 100% legal Espada XL, they'd hassle me almost surely. They just.... don't want a 20-something male walking around with that for fear of what I could do. I get it a little, but on the other hand, I may carry what is legal! They would love to jack my Espada, unfortunately. Hell, a 3" PM2 is big to some.
this ambiguity when it comes to knife laws is the worst thing imo. You just never feel safe carrying a knife, it always feels like you're in the wrong and breaking the law no matter what, also the fact that your fate will depend on some random cop and whether or not they think you're breaking the law or not, is crazy. There should be clear regulations on what you can and can't bring, no urban
I couldn’t tell if he was being sarcastic or not. You can never be sure with Brits and their humor.

Gees ! I would be a class A felon if those laws applied my side🤣

So my Spyderco civilian serated I use for cutting through pvc , cable and dry walling is a zombie knife🤔

In the early 1960s, New York City 7th and 8th grade boys brought their rifles to school for marksmanship class!

Just a minute....in defence of the UK, I've got got firearms, silencers, crossbows and a load of knives (including 9 Randalls) and all sorts of swords and machetes which are legal. The restrictions in the UK are only annoying because most open knife carry is not acceptable, even as a tool. That said, as a Scout Leader I open carried +3" fixed blades with no response, even in London. Ownership is quite relaxed and even self-defence in the home is acceptable, provided you hadn't planned for it, is ok. " I hit the burglar with that CS Warhammer because it was a wall decoration in my bedroom and the first thing that came to hand, officer"
UK is irritating but quite good actually.

Except for their affinity for fart jokes I've never understood English humor. Not when I've been to the UK and not with the hundreds of them I've met and worked with around the world. So I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or needs to check the shower to see if he dropped his bollocks in there. I think I'll go clean my FN FAL and be thankful for what I have.

Except for their affinity for fart jokes I've never understood English humor. Not when I've been to the UK and not with the hundreds of them I've met and worked with around the world. So I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or needs to check the shower to see if he dropped his bollocks in there. I think I'll go clean my FN FAL and be thankful for what I have.
I spoke with the man in the comment section, attempting to be very cordial and understanding so as to get to the root of his thinking. He is 100% serious and concerned here.

Also agree with your assessment of most British humor, too, Monty Python is a bore to me. I like Scottish comedy though, as cheesy as it can be.

Nice choice, by the way! :)

I've been to England five times fox hunting with the terriermen. Sadly, that's pretty much over. Never been to London, mostly in the Southwest and neighboring areas. Salisbury plain, through a bit of Wales and a couple of the western ports. Nobody anywhere ever including the local cops said a single word about the Buck 110 on my belt.

Back