Best Slingshot?

Here is one I made yesterday. 1/4" steel rod and a cheap wood dowel handle. Marksman brand tubes, and automotive vaccuum caps for the tine caps. Paracord wrist strap.

2012-03-05145011.jpg

2012-03-05151055.jpg

Haven't shot it much yet, but so far with these cheap bands it works well. Once the vaccuum caps prove they will not let go (and black my eye), I will switch over to red tapered trumark bands.

-Xander

Nice work Riot. What method do you use to bend the steel? With your skill at steel bending have you tried making a Dankung style and running a Chinese loop?
Bill

Nice work Riot. What method do you use to bend the steel? With your skill at steel bending have you tried making a Dankung style and running a Chinese loop?
Bill

Thank you! The steel is hot bent and stress relieved, all done free hand.

I'm afraid I am going to have to google what you are talking about, but if someone has detailed pics of the important parts, I am sure I can whip one up real quick.

-Xander

Ok, I can do that. Give me a few days and I'll try one out. What rubber should I order for something like this? I have pouches already, but premade band sets aren't out of the question.

-Xander

Just got mine in from Big Mike today...pics will follow up as soon as I get a chance ! Awsome Mike...I love it ! Mine is the wood Dragoon ...feels great in the hand, now I need to practice ALOT ! Check BikerMike out if you guys are gonna get a slingshot !

Last edited:
China bands are what there normaly called. you'll want to make your own band sets up, the ones you order are made for some folks with realy short arms. there are a few different sizes of tubes. 17 45 are very popular.
Heres a link to some information on the China tube sizes.
http://slingshotforum.com/index.php...attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=15452
I have ordered tubes from trulytexas and have had good service.
http://www.trulytexas.com/d-1745-bulk.html

Ok, I can do that. Give me a few days and I'll try one out. What rubber should I order for something like this? I have pouches already, but premade band sets aren't out of the question.

-Xander

I'm looking for hunting first and target second. Is there a particular size tube that is better at that? Or is it a moot point?

-Xander

Wrist braces just add bulk and serve no purpose at slingshot draw weights and the tube bands bought at wally world and the like are pure garbage, very heavy pull and slooooowwww, I would much rather have and hunt with a forked stick I cut myself and some quality flat bands than anything you can buy in a box store.

My current favorite is a dankung American Fox tubed up with chained 20/40 tubes, it is a pleasure to shoot and will make nice holes in steel cans. If yall want to see what modern well made slingshots will do this is a good place to start.
http://www.pocketpredator.com/

Lots of good stuff out there, but most of the commercial stuff and dang near anything with a wrist brace is trash. Here is a couple of pics of my favorite, today anyway, and one of the bands I am running right now. Chris

IMG_1492.jpg
Chris, I like the looks of that looped set up. Two of my china band loop set ups have become causalities due to a fork hits(on two separate occasions.) The damage on each was close to the right pouch. I removed the cut tube section, and evened up both sides. Both sets are back in service but kinda short. I may have to run with your set-up.
Bill

I believe I now have the fork hit situation under control.

Last edited:
Yeah those work well but are a bit complicated. The reason I experimented with them is my psuedo tapers were breaking prematurely. I have since padded my hemostats and started using a 17/45 cuff under my ties, now I am getting great life out of my tapers with zero slipping. Chris

i have a barnett cobra and with 3/8 steel shot and the stock band i can take a dove off the top of a fence from about 50 feet away any closer and the bird is dead

1zzsxld.jpg

This setup works great, plus it enabled me to salvage my short bands. I have a roll of 1745 coming inbound from the Lone Star State.

I've hade this one kicking around the shop for a while. Finaly thought I'd put some bands on it and shoot it. The slingshot is aluminum core with some heavy saddle leather over it. Held in place with bamboo pegs. the tubes are slavaged from dankung type looped tubes that were to short.
2012.jpg

Here's one my son and I made. We "borrowed" the universal band setup. I cut it , my son sanded it
oizrt0.jpg

Made from a sheet of bullet proof wall lining-It was extra material from someone using it to line a safe-room. Cut it with a jig saw with metal cutting blade. It destroys wood blades. I'm guessing it's a fiberglass kevlar composition.
Just picked up some new blades so I'm going to try a couple more. Got some 1745 tubing inbound also.
Bill

Saw this awhile ago. Thought I would share.

[video=youtube_share;9ieWrWLjii0]http://youtu.be/9ieWrWLjii0[/video]

Also, my first time embedding video, hopefully it works.
It did, and IMO this is a must see video. I was just going to post it myself when I saw you already have. :)
-Bruce

Here's one my son and I made. We "borrowed" the universal band setup. I cut it , my son sanded it
oizrt0.jpg

Made from a sheet of bullet proof wall lining-It was extra material from someone using it to line a safe-room. Cut it with a jig saw with metal cutting blade. It destroys wood blades. I'm guessing it's a fiberglass kevlar composition.
Just picked up some new blades so I'm going to try a couple more. Got some 1745 tubing inbound also.
Bill

Nice. How thick is the stock your cutting it from?

Back