Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

A3fSgX9.jpeg

Nice photo, Gary, and I see you've been using the #83 . . . looks good in patina.
Thanks for the kind words and the fantastic knife, Jeff! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
The parallel stripes in the grain on the Mexican bocote handle has real appeal for an old geometry teacher like me. 🤓
And I use almost all of my knives, so I put this one to work almost as soon as I got it (even though it's not officially in my rotation schedule yet). My knives mostly get used for food prep, so this #83 has been chopping fruits and vegetables for my morning and evening meals, sliced summer sausage a time or two, fished dill slices from the pickle jar, and spread some spicy brown mustard on sandwiches. It has been an excellent tool in that role (except the blade is a little bit too short for getting started the way I usually do in cutting up a whole apple ;)).

- GT

Last edited:
Gary, I'd like to taste that beer, too, oatmeal stouts are my favorites. Have you had Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout? If so, how does your new one compare?

Knife Content
bMVb7LE.jpg
Jeff, I thought I had replied to this already, but I must have only been thinking about what my reply would be and didn't actually type one up. o_O
Must be something I "caught" from my wife; she's always telling me she already told me this or that, and I'm very sure she didn't, but her mind is always going 80 mph, and I don't think she can tell the difference between "conversations" she's had only in her head and actual conversations she has with real people. 🤓

Anyway, more than 25 years ago, around Christmas, we visited my in-laws and stayed with a sister of my wife. She got me at least a 6-pack of Samuel Smith Taddy Porter and another of Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. I'll confess that I don't remember exactly what either tasted like, but drinking them changed my "beer life". Up until that point, I always bought American lagers, and they all tasted basically the same to me (although I think I might have been able to identify Bud and Pabst Blue Ribbon in blind taste tests), so I'd usually buy a box of 30 cans of Milwukee's Best Ice or whatever else was on sale. But the porter and stout I had on that trip changed me, and ever since then, I've rarely consumed American lagers. I try to find various porters, stouts, and bocks (and Oktoberfests, in season) for my home consumption, although I still drink Killian's Irish Red from about 1/3 to 1/2 the time because it's economical (and tastes/looks better to me than American lagers).

Knife Content: those sawcut richlite TC Barlows sure turned out nice! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I like the brown you have better than the green, but they're both very handsome.

- GT

Gary, I had a similar experience with Southern Tier IPA. I had one at a friend's house and thought, "I didn't know a beer could possibly taste this good!" Since then my tastes have changed away from hoppy beers to malty beers, but craft beers are where it's at. And my wife is exactly the same as yours, so if you ever come up with a strategy to counteract the, "Yes, I did say that," then please let me know!

Back