BF Acronym List

Oh, a few exchange specific ones.
OBO: Or Best Offer
SPF: Sold Pending Funds
FS: For Sale
FSOT: For Sale Or Trade

LNIB: I used it for a week, but you can't tell from my iPhone 4s photos and Spyderco has a new sprint run PM2 I gotta have so you have to pay almost full price for this knife that I'm willing to part with in order to fund it's purchase.

You can see why we need the acronym.

Preeeeetty sure CMFTW does NOT mean Charlie Mike For The Win. The Charlie Mike part, yes. But the rest... Pretty sure that means something else.

IBTMTTDAT - In Before The Move To The Dumb A** Thread
IBTL - In Before The Lock

SS: Stainless Steel
add a link to a chart of steels that is sonewhere around here stickied. That will cover ALL the steel names.

Connor

Good idea...

Kai is the name of the mother company of Kershaw, Shun, and Zero Tolerance - it is not an acronym.

tla - three letter acronym
etla - extended three letter acronym.

best

mqqn

@Sturubu: Give me the acronyms, I'll give you the category! BTW, thanks for the subtle reminder: acronym is surely a more correct word than abbreviation in this context.

I wouldn't dare take that on, just looking at page 1 of the Busse sales threads is usually enough to make my head spin!

The list is pretty impressive, and it's funny when I realize how some of these acronyms / abbreviations / terms have become such a part of my everyday reading that I don't even notice them. Great idea putting this together!

Since I'm a POS due to my last post, I'll rephrase - some of those are not even acronyms generally used on this site, do they really belong on an "official" list.

RMD - ratmandu
Remember that one - it will serve you well.

Unless this topic discusses a knife or knives directly, it has no business being in GKD. Please don't use this section as an all purpose bulletin board for stuff nonrelated. The appropriate topics are listed clearly at the top in the description. Off we go to tech support.

@RevDevil: I'm sorry about the post location. I'll be more careful next time.

@hhmoore: If there is a specific term or terms you would like removed, please enumerate them and I'll consider it.

@BenchCo Spydermade: I'm looking; will see what I can do.

US Military Knife Markings

USMC - US Marine Corps
USMC - US Medical Corps
USMC - United Shoe Manufacturing Company

USN - US Navy

MK1 / MK2 / MK3 - Mark 1 or Mark 2 or Mark 3 - refers to USN Knife designations

USMC 1219C2 / USN MK2 (guard stampings)
RCC - Robeson Cutlery Company
PAL - PAL Cutlery
RH - Remington Hunter (RH-37) on PAL blades (PAL had bought Remington Knives in 1939 and maintained the RH model # designators

USN MK1 manufacturers - many used their full names, or at least enough to be readily recognized, but some did not.
GENFOR - Geneva Forge Inc
RH - Remington Hunter (on the PAL RH-35)
H. BOKER - Henry Boker & Co.

Other Military/WW2 era knives
EGW - E.G. Waterman Comapny

USM8/USM8A1/MK1/MK2 Plastic and Canvas Sheaths
NORD - Naval Ordnance Contract
B.M. Co. - Beckwith Manufacturing Company
VP - Victory Plastics (A division of Beckwith Manufacturing)
TWB - The Working Blind (Philadelphia)
PWH - Philadelphia Wrking House for the Blind

US Bayonet Manufacturer Stamps (Many companies used a whole word from their names. easily identifying those - e.g., Camillus, Ontario,
AFH - American Fork & Hoe
UFH - Union Fork & Hoe
UC - Utica Cutlery
OL - Oneida Cutlery
RIA - Rock Island Arsenal
SA - Springfield Arsenal
WILDE - Wilde Tool & Drop Forge Co.
ACC - Aerial Cutlery Company
FZR - Fraser Manufacturing Company
GEN CUT - General Cutlery C.o.
BOC - Bauer Ordnance Corporation (Detroit)
MILPAR - Columbus (Ohio OH) MILPAR and Manufacturing Company
J&D - J&D Tool Company aka Jones & Dickinson Tool Company

British Empire Bayonet Stamps
MA - Mangrove Arsenal
OA - Orange Arsenal

Good luck keepin' this current, I mean that. In the past I've started definitions acronyms and a few others, it can be a full time job keeping up. One piece of advice if you want to keep the purpose of this as a serious post in hopes of it becoming a stickie which I believe is your intent. Keep the first half dozen successive posts reserved so you can keep the continuity and folks can come to one page for current additions an updates. Otherwise it'll become a regular rolling commentary and difficult to follow.

Again best of luck. :)

@hhmoore: If there is a specific term or terms you would like removed, please enumerate them and I'll consider it.
It doesn't matter to me how many get posted, or how many are thrown together for this thread. If I see an acronym I don't recognize, the reality is that I'll either Google it or ask. The thread is a nice idea - don't get me wrong - but in a couple of weeks, it will be several pages down & all but forgotten...unless you get it official enough to be made a sticky.

Back