Building a bow with a Khukuri!

And...done!

HBBOFOE.jpg

I stained it last night, and when it was dry enough, one coat of Tru-Oil this morning. I had some old leather that worked out perfectly for the handle. And that's it folks, jobs done, and I had the pleasure of taking it into the field today. I'll take it again tomorrow; I'd love to add a successful hunt to this thread!

Picture a derelict on the ground beside his chair bowed before you. No easy task in and of itself.

As a devoted bow hunter in an earlier life (I cheated and used store bought compounds with energy cams and all the cheating stuff) and I'm certainly no expert on this stuff but in my eyes you done a superb job. You patience sets the bar very high and is something for the rest of us to attempt to achieve.

Well done son.

Awesome TC!!! It came out great. I love the look after you stained it. What is the pull weight @ 30inches roughly?

Great job Travis! That looks awesome. Im trying to patch pieces of wood together now. All my wood is either new growth stuff thats too young or way to old and checked like all getout. I have some bamboo flooring pieces that might work but they are only 36" long so id have to laminate to make up for the joint? I split them down the middle but they still seem too flimsy so i m going to double them up. This might be getting too complicated for my skill level? Oh well. Anyway one way or the other its going to happen. Ill either hit the side of the barn or ill break it:D Thanks for the update. Awesome arrows as well! Im going with agave flowering stalks for that I think.

Awesome TC!!! It came out great. I love the look after you stained it. What is the pull weight @ 30inches roughly?

I've only drawn it to 28" myself, and it's got to be around 45# to 48#. At 30", I'd guess it to be around 50#. I've misplaced my bow scale somehow, but I'll verify once I have the means to measure it accurately. So far, I've only been able to compare it to other bows I have with known draw weight. It's a long bow, and should easily accommodate the longer draw weight.

Great job Travis! That looks awesome. Im trying to patch pieces of wood together now. All my wood is either new growth stuff thats too young or way to old and checked like all getout. I have some bamboo flooring pieces that might work but they are only 36" long so id have to laminate to make up for the joint? I split them down the middle but they still seem too flimsy so i m going to double them up. This might be getting too complicated for my skill level? Oh well. Anyway one way or the other its going to happen. Ill either hit the side of the barn or ill break it:D Thanks for the update. Awesome arrows as well! Im going with agave flowering stalks for that I think.

Man, joining billets and laminations is a complicated deal all by itself! Just a thought, but checking in and off itself does not necessarily ruin a bow stave. You can also back it with a wide variety of materials, from rawhide, to strips of cloth soaked in wood glue. I've even seen it done with duct tape (the bow was not museum quality, but functional!). Might not hurt to see if you can get some of that stuff to bend, and if nothing else, it's good practice.

Well the beautiful bow has found a new home:D. I will take care of it and cherish it for a very long time. Stay tuned for a review of this masterpiece by a true craftsman.

Well the beautiful bow has found a new home:D. I will take care of it and cherish it for a very long time. Stay tuned for a review of this masterpiece by a true craftsman.

Hats off to T.C., I'm envious of those skills. Thanks for putting together this thread. A nice ending to the story (or this chapter of the story).

Awesome pix and post thank you for sharing

Back