Caly 3.5.....HUGE disappointment!!!!!!!

I have been a huge fan of Spyderdco. However the last few knives I have ordered have really had QC issues. This Caly 3.5 is by far the worst knife I have ever received...from Sypderco or any other maker.
Knife arrived today. Upon opening it and trying to deploy the blade it was so gritty I could barely open it. I have heard that this is a stiff knife at first but I knew something wasn't right. The first thing I did was remove the pivot screw and balde and looked inside the knife. It was so corroded with shaving and dirt I could believe it was new. After a thorough cleaning and oiling it is now much smoother. Still stiff and a little gritty but very acceptable. I know it will break in over time.

The second issue I have with this knife is it is the dullest knife I have ever received.....from Spyderco or any other maker. This really suprised me. Every Spyderco I have ever purchased has come razor sharp. The bevel on this is very thick. I cant even touch up the edge on the 40 degree slots on my sharpmaker. Is going to need to be re profiled. As it sits this knife wont slice regular paper.

The third issue I have with this knife is the amount of vertical blade play. I have an FRN stretch, a carbon fiber stretch, a police, a tasman salt, a lil matriarch and an endura....all lockbacks. This knife was just taken out of the box and has considerable more blade play then any of those knives that have been used, some of them for years.

I really like the design of this knife. You can tell some thought when in to it...just wish as much thought would have been put into the production and finish.

Is it wrong to expect a $120.00 knife to be sharp, have solid lock up, and not need to be taken apart to be cleaned coming from the factory. My Para 2 had similar issues which required the knife to be taken apart and modified to achieve solid lock up. The last solid knife I have received from Spyderco was my Sage 1. I have heard a lot of grumbling over this knife being produced in Taiwan. I have to say it was perfect in every way.

It is sad but I am at the point where I dont want to purchase any more Spydercos unless I can personally handle the knife prior.....which makes it tough because not to many places stock them in my area. Still better than Benchmade but whats up?

As you properly note, your experience was not the norm. Far from it in fact. This might have been a good knife to return rather than dealing with it yourself, especially if you are not pleased with the final outcome. It was gritty, with vertical blade play and dull edge? That doesn't even sound like a Spyderco. Good luck!

I am sorry for your experience with Caly3.5. It is great knife, but in knifemaking a lot of human factor involved. You are not satisfied, so just returned.

That sucks OP. See if you can return it to your dealer or Spyderco.

I don't have any shops near me either, so I have to rely on online dealers for most of my knives.
I wish I could handle all knives before purchase, but... I can't. Choosing a reputable dealer is very important to me.

Anyway, I hope you are able to solve your problems.
It seems like Spyderco has made you happy many times in the past. Don't let 1 bad example ruin your entire Spyderco experience.

Interesting, I had the EXACT same experience with the Caly 3.5. The knife was so gritty and of poor quality I had thought maybe it was a fake, but no. I was so disappointed I have since put off buying any Japanese Spydercos.

Sorry to hear about your problem.
Not the norm though, and you can have a problem with any factory knife. Full custom by a quality maker is the only way you can get a perfect knife every time.
Nothing we can do, but advice you to swap it, or send it in to Spyderco. They will fix you up.

My Caly 3 ZDP was gritty also. After about 10 days it turned into one of the smoothest knives I own. The blade play issue is what I would send it in for.

I want to know where you bought it from. A reputable dealer, or some random seller on eBay?

I used to be a spydie fan/collector/user......until my USA made M4 military came to me. Same issues you've mentioned with the clay 3.5......lots of vertical blade play, gritty opening.....just poorly/quickly put together.

I was so mad, I sold almost all my spydercos (was around 50) and have never bought another. The Japanese made Spydercos were always the best made IMO....but that was years ago...and apparently even the Japanese are slacking now? That's surprising.

Question....does the blade being marked Japan mean it was completely assembled there, or just the blade was made there?

I used to be a spydie fan/collector/user......until my USA made M4 military came to me. Same issues you've mentioned with the clay 3.5......lots of vertical blade play, gritty opening.....just poorly/quickly put together.

I was so mad, I sold almost all my spydercos (was around 50) and have never bought another. The Japanese made Spydercos were always the best made IMO....but that was years ago...and apparently even the Japanese are slacking now? That's surprising.

Question....does the blade being marked Japan mean it was completely assembled there, or just the blade was made there?

Means everything was made there. I only own 1 Caly 3.5 and it was the Super Blue sprint. That one looked alright, wasn't gritty or sloppy. There are lemons out there, every company produces them once in a while.

I want to know where you bought it from. A reputable dealer, or some random seller on eBay?

I normally buy most of my knives from 1 of 3 vendors. However this one was a gift from my brother. He lives in a another state. I am assuming he ordered it online form somewhere. Shipping label says: WBL..... out of Madison Heights MI. I dont know what WBL stands for, or the company.

Why didn't you simply return the knife?

Most of the time if a little tinkering will resolve the issue I would just rather fix it myself. Cleaning it and sharpening it are things I can easily do.....but the blade play is the killer for me. I am going to inquire about returning it. My brother ordered it for me as a gift.

Most of the time if a little tinkering will resolve the issue I would just rather fix it myself. Cleaning it and sharpening it are things I can easily do.....but the blade play is the killer for me. I am going to inquire about returning it. My brother ordered it for me as a gift.

Contact Spyderco Customer Service. They will take care of you. Sounds like a few lemons have slipped theough the QC folks.

embassy mine :D

I'm not sure if they will accept it now. Doesn't disassembling the knife void the Spyderco warranty?

I wouldn't modify any knife to make it right, I would expect the manufacturer do to that. Especially if it could adversely affect the warranty.

I'm not sure if they will accept it now. Doesn't disassembling the knife void the Spyderco warranty?

I wouldn't modify any knife to make it right, I would expect the manufacturer do to that. Especially if it could adversely affect the warranty.

I cant see how removing the pivot screw, cleaning around it and oiling my knife is going to adversely affect the warranty. The knife shows no signs of being tampered with. There would be no way to tell I even touched it....But lets just say that Sal and the people over at Spyderco had overwhelming evidence that I did remove the pivot screw to clean the knife. Lets pretend that my house was bugged with spy cameras and they had me on video taking out the pivot screw, cleaning the debris out of it, putting a few drops of oil on it and then reassembling it. If they chose not to honor the warranty based on that it would probably be within their legal right. Ridiculous, but within their legal right. I would live with it. I would definitely make different choices on my future knife purchases. However...I don't think Sal and Spyderco are out to rip any body off. I don't think they are looking for a loop hole to not honor a warranty on a knife. I am certainly not looking to take advantage of a company for dishonest gain...So I am not that worried about it. I see it as a complete non issue.

It has been asked before: if a person has a problem to contact the maker or dealer first. If you are not happy by the result then by all means post on the forums, but give the maker a chance to correct it first.

Sucks though that it happened and send it in. Sure they will take care of you.

I don't know you Slimman. I typically try to give folks the benefit of the doubt. When I see things like this though:
Knife arrived today. Upon opening it and trying to deploy the blade it was so gritty I could barely open it.

It says to me Exaggeration.

Then, you go on:

I have heard that this is a stiff knife at first but I knew something wasn't right. The first thing I did was remove the pivot screw and balde and looked inside the knife. It was so corroded with shaving and dirt I could believe it was new.

This takes a bit of translation on my part but it seems you are saying it was corroded, and had shavings and dirt in it. Ok, the dirt and whatever I can believe, but corroded? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion

That's pushing it.

The next thing is :
The second issue I have with this knife is it is the dullest knife I have ever received.

Well, sharp and dull can be pretty subjective. It's beginning to look like you exaggerate a bit though, so I can't tell anything and need to take your word on it.

Then...
The third issue I have with this knife is the amount of vertical blade play.
Is this before or after you took it apart? The reason I ask is why in the heck you would take it apart if it is as bad as you claim? It should have been returned immediately for either of the above complaints if they are as bad as you stated they are. You did nothing but jeopardize your chances of a swift resolution.

Lastly, did you really get so disturbed that you had to add as much drama as you could by doing things like adding seven asterisks? That's not to mention the already noted it was the "dullest" knife you ever received, and was so corroded and dirty you could not believe it was new.
"Caly 3.5.....HUGE disappointment!!!!!!!"

You do know you could easily resolve this without ramping up the drama to 11 ( Spinal tap reference :) ). If you broke the knife when you took it apart all the drama in the world won't fix the knife, but some money will make it good as new. :D

Good luck, and yes, I'd love to see pictures of actual corrosion on the blade in the area in question. Real corrosion, not crud. I've never seen that even back in the days before I owned a stainless folder. In fact, I routinely look for NOS knives from the 70's and 80's in carbon and carbon alloy steels and have yet to see real corrosion in that area.

So, calm down and get your knife fixed. They are sweet knives.

Joe

Joe, it looks like he might have been venting a little bit because of his disapointment.

Are we only allowed to post exaggerated praise?

Back