Caly 3.5.....HUGE disappointment!!!!!!!

The mastiff, change your tampon and relax. You are the only person here who is being a dramatic nancy.

I like Joe.
I like Slim.
We all like knives.
We all say stupid things.
We all get offended when we shouldn't.
:D

whatever

or we could insult each other and add nothing of benefit for future forum viewers. :grumpy:

Do your parents allow you to use, and handle knives unsupervised? They shouldn't if so. I have no problems with little girls using knives when supervised but that's the only time they should be in possession of a knife. In fact, you shouldn't be hanging out on forums with adults while unsupervised either.

Joe

Joe, I am sure you are well respected here. Whether the OP was dramatic or not, this kind of insult is not necessary. Yes, I am not a regular and I don't know anything. I am going to shut up now.

Hi D.mon.ray,

Welcome to the spyderco forum

We all get kranky now and them. I think what Joe is saying is that negative thread titles being "loud" (caps, excl. points, etc) often end up costing Spyderco sales. Most don't realize this. If you like Spyderco, why cost us sales? Share your problem so we all can learn, repair and move on.

sal

I sold my smallfly. I wished I wouldn't have ..I have bought 18. Spyderco blades in the last 2months give or take a few. Lots of used and new still zero problems also when I've made hasty expensive buys. Way less regret. I know Spyderco will fix it if it breaks oror is less than par on my end. To a point of course. Freaking love you guys. Thanks for the para 2

As a consumer reviewing a product my concern is NOT if I'm costing or helping the Co. with sales, only the product that I received.

I've reviewed quite a few Sydercos on the big A site, should I only give positive reviews? Or should I review each knife that I receive on its own merits?

I don't see a problem with the OP sharing his experience the way he did, but the thread title is a bit overboard. Of course every company has a QC issue every now and then, and Spyderco (foreign and domestically produced) are top of the line and will correct any mistakes they make, so they should be given the opportunity to respond to the situation before getting smeared all over the net.
And mastiff...relax.

Sal, thank you for the welcome. I got my first Spyderco (it was a pm2) on Sep 17 on a special occasion. As soon as I had it in my hand, I knew I was in trouble. Less than two months later, I now have 6 pm2's, sprints or otherwise, and a CF mili (yes, I contributed to the shortage of pm2's, but I am not going to apologize for it). I did not need to experience your awesome, customer-oriented attitude to know that your company was all about quality. A few threads about problems are not going change any of that. I respect anyone who had the taste to ever own any number of Spydercos, that's pretty much everyone here. Just didn't want to see friends fight. If I stuck my nose where it did not belong, I apologize. And the rest is up to us.

I like Spydercos. I don't like threads like this.

Sounds like the "problem" may be with the source of the knife, not the manufacturer.

Good luck with the resolution.

As a consumer reviewing a product my concern is NOT if I'm costing or helping the Co. with sales, only the product that I received.

I've reviewed quite a few Sydercos on the big A site, should I only give positive reviews? Or should I review each knife that I receive on its own merits?

I once read a comment from the editor of a gun magazine about that sort of thing. If they get a defective product for review, they don't review it. They return the defective product to the manufacturer and request that they send them a working sample. If the manufacturer sends them a working sample, they do a review on it; if not, they don't do a review.

I once read a comment from the editor of a gun magazine about that sort of thing. If they get a defective product for review, they don't review it. They return the defective product to the manufacturer and request that they send them a working sample. If the manufacturer sends them a working sample, they do a review on it; if not, they don't do a review.

I wouldn't give much stock to that magazines reviews if they couldn't at least be honest enough to say "The first item we recieved had to be sent back to the manufacturer because it was defective".

I wouldn't give much stock to that magazines reviews if they couldn't at least be honest enough to say "The first item we recieved had to be sent back to the manufacturer because it was defective".

If they didn't say, how would you know, and then how could you know not put stock in the review? :p

If they didn't say, how would you know, and then how could you know not put stock in the review? :p

Pretty simple really.

Because the editor already claimed that they only review items that they receive in non-defective/perfect condition and that they do receive defective merchandise.

So if you never read the above statement from them you would know they are in fact not being honest about the ones they received defective.

Hi Fitzpatric,

I would guess that most people would agree with you regarding their thoughts about the company when dealing with a problem. We like to think that we're a bit different than many companies in the way we do things. Actually some of our customers are concerned that we would be able to continue doing what we're doing.

I don't think that we're seeking only positive reviews, especially with new models. It's very difficult to improve if we don't know that problem exists.

sal

Last edited:

Hi Fitzpatric,

It really wouldn't serve the magazine or the maker to say something negative about a product. Magazines survive on advertising. Better to return the product and do an article on one that works. Magazine "Reviews" provide information. Usually more than the potential customer might already know. If someone is looking to find out more about a product or model, they should do research on more than one review anyway.

We like to think that you can get the most honest information by asking the question on our forums. We certainly know more about our product than any "reviewer".

sal

I'm a little late but I owned two Caly 3.5's in VG10.

One of them had an issue, the lockback switch didn't sit flush with the backspacer when the blade was in the open position, protruding a mm or so. It doesn't affect performance/lockup and is just an aesthetic thing (warranty would have fixed it if I wanted). I edc'd it for awhile but sold it off to fund another knife purchase. I ended up buying another one, when money allowed. The second one came gritty, but I cleaned it and is butter smooth. Both came "factory sharp" which doesn't really matter to me much anymore since dullness feeds another hobby... Both did not have blade play at all which is the only thing I really care about on a new knife. I understand the OP's expectations on $100+ knives, and you are not really expecting too much. These are production folders however and a few issues will slip through the cracks, as many have suggested, go for the warranty as Spyderco stands by their products. I'm sharing my experience because Caly3.5 is the only model I had any sort of issue out of the box, albeit minor ones. Even so, I will always have one, and own its siblings as well. The Caly's really are great knives and hope you get these resolved so you can enjoy it like it is meant to be.

Sorry for the interruption. But if I carry my Spyderco for a few months and lets say a little grit works it's way in there. I can't disassemble the knife to clean it because it would void the warranty?

Sorry for the interruption. But if I carry my Spyderco for a few months and lets say a little grit works it's way in there. I can't disassemble the knife to clean it because it would void the warranty?

Think of it this way... how often do you hear about Spyderco not honoring their warranties?
How often do you hear about people disassembling their knives?

Don't break your knife, either through disassembly or use, and Spyderco will treat you right.

Back