Can you open your 25 with your thumb?

double gun

Basic Member
If so, what's the trick? I must have girly thumbs because mostly I can't do it. :(

Mine flicks open fairly easily with the right technique. If it is new, you may need to break it in or adjust the pivot a bit. It isn't really made to be flicked open, it's more of a circular sweeping motion like other Sebenzas. That being said, a little practice and adjustment go a long way!

Yes I do, and you'll get there (I'm assuming it's new). When mine was new it was very stiff off the detent. They take more breaking in than most. What I did was just open it off the detent over and over using two fingers until it wore in a bit. Now, I give it a flick to get it off the detent and then stroke it full open. CRK insists that it's not supposed to be flicked full open - not sure it's really any different than any other knife, but whatever. It's so smooth to open I really don't mind. I'm not sure there's a trick really. I do seem to get my thumb more up under the stud and press both the blade and stud to flick it off the dtent.
Of course the other possiblility is that I just finally got a good set of calluses on my thumb and it has stopped hurting :)

Mine was really hard to open at first, try pushing forward rather then outward.

I'm sitting here with my new 25 that just arrived today thinking the same thing. I have been forcing it so much my thumb is almost numb but I think what I was doing wrong is squeezing the lock as I was trying to force the blade out. Still really stiff but it's actually opening now!

Thanks guys, and yes it's new. I guess I will open it a few hundred times and see if that helps. Just to be clear I am not trying to flick it open, just swing it open. My regular is very nice to open, I just hope the 25 will get to the same point.
I really really like it, but like Cowboy my thumb is getting numb/raw from trying.

Mine was really hard to open at first, try pushing forward rather then outward.

Thanks for the tip, I just tried it and it works. Such a small change, made a big difference. It's still fairly hard, but at least I can open it.

It's all in the angle. My new 25 is only 6 days old and I have no issues. It is funny though to watch my friends who have never handled one stumble with it.

There is some technique to not squeezing the lockbar while opening. Also the knives come tight, and break in to perfection, rather than coming perfect, and ending up sloppy. The hard thing is to break the detent free, which becomes easier as the edge of the detent hole wears and you start to develop technique. Draw an imaginary line between the thumbstud and the pivot screw. Push perpindicular to that line and you have maximum leverage to break the detent free. This angle is neither straight out, nor too forward. Once you break the detent free, just follow through.

It took me a while, but once you figure it, its like riding a bike. It'll be easy, and you'll start loving the knife. If I'm being honest with myself, there are many better ways to deploy a knife than those pointy CRK studs. A spyderco hole requires no training, and is actually more comfortable. However, remember there are several factors that CRK considered when designing those annoying studs, that have nothing to do with your thumbs:

1: They look good (important for most CRK people)
2: They allow the knife to be slim in profile and do not take up pocket space
3: They do not catch on your pocket when clipping the knife to your jeans like some more practical 'barrel' type studs do
4: They provide CRK owners with a challenge and skill we must learn, which makes the knives more fun.

I've never found the studs to be "annoying", or a "challenge" to "learn". I've always used them to effortlessly open the knife.

Matter of fact, I don't know if I have ever seen a person struggle to open one of my Sebenzas.

Sounds like a personal issue, though I know there are several people on here that can't quite figure out how to open an Umnumzaan efficiently either.

You should call Chris rather than cycle the knife a couple hundreds times. He will fix it for you. Make sure you are not pressing on the lock bar with your index finger as you try to open it and break the detent. My 25 after 3 months is a one hand opening knife but not as smooth as my Spydercos. Btw, none of my knifes start out perfect and become sloppy. IMHO perfect knifes can be maintained to stay perfect.

Last edited:
Yes, with either thumb stud. The newer style detention is what make its stiffer. They smooth out over time.

Here is the result after a few days of opening and closing. My thumb and forearm were sore but it is so nice now!

[video=youtube;TXFGf8xXB34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXFGf8xXB34[/video]

Thanks everyone. Yes I now can do it, it was mostly the angle of attack that I was doing wrong. I tried at first to open it like my regular and that just doesn't work for me on the 25. My left hand can open it no problem, but as mentioned above I think I was apply pressure to the lock bar when trying to open it with my right hand. After listening to a few tips (from members above) its now fairly easy, and getting easier every time I open it. So thanks.

Here is the result after a few days of opening and closing. My thumb and forearm were sore but it is so nice now!

[video=youtube;TXFGf8xXB34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXFGf8xXB34[/video]

Better hide this video or they will VOID your warranty.

Better hide this video or they will VOID your warranty.

I don't see anything wrong with opening the knife this way and would bet Chris doesn't either. I see no slamming, no wrist action. Just a well designed knife that opens quickly with the right technique. We really need to stop perpetuating this myth.

I don't see anything wrong with opening the knife this way and would bet Chris doesn't either. I see no slamming, no wrist action. Just a well designed knife that opens quickly with the right technique. We really need to stop perpetuating this myth.

Flicking open your CRK Sebenza indeed voids your warranty, been through it myself.

I can't say the same for a 25 though because you can flick the Zaan

Flicking open your CRK Sebenza indeed voids your warranty, been through it myself.

I can't say the same for a 25 though because you can flick the Zaan

Thanks peeps yeah I was pretty sure it was hard wrist flicks that void the warranty, not finger flicks. Especially not with the ceramic ball interface. But no worries either way, this knife is mine and I will open it how I want. Finger flicking is fun!

Thanks peeps yeah I was pretty sure it was hard wrist flicks that void the warranty, not finger flicks. Especially not with the ceramic ball interface. But no worries either way, this knife is mine and I will open it how I want. Finger flicking is fun!

It IS wrist flicks that can potentially destroy a warranty by needlessly wearing and destroying components.

It's been stated on here many times that thumb flicks are fine.

Back