Cleaning a gummed up stone

For what it's worth, I used to have fits trying to get the metal filings out of my 320 grit norton bench stone. I tried everything. I had to grow satisfied with so-so results until one day I tried lacquer thinnner, the stuff they use for thinning automotive spray paint. Wow!!! What a difference. It seems to magically lift everything right out of the stone.

For what it's worth, I used to have fits trying to get the metal filings out of my 320 grit norton bench stone. I tried everything. I had to grow satisfied with so-so results until one day I tried lacquer thinnner, the stuff they use for thinning automotive spray paint. Wow!!! What a difference. It seems to magically lift everything right out of the stone.

Acetone, Berryman's ChemTool, and WD-40 will also work. Just soak the stone in it for a couple of hours. Then brush it, re-inspect, soak again if necessary.

I have an old Norton stone that gets gummed up after a while. I boil it for about 10 minutes and it comes out pretty darn good.

Wd 40 is fine for cleaning and sharpening. Just wipe the stone off when you're finished.

I use Bonami cleanser, a scotchbrite pad, and hot tap water. I also clean the stones every time I use them.

I don't use my norton stones nearly as much as I used to after getting and EdgePro a couple of years ago. However, I found that brake cleaner in the spray can works better and much faster than anything. I started out using GunScrubber which worked very well but is expensive. Brake cleaner works just as well. I wondered if it might be damaging to the stone but have not noticed any problems.

Just curious, ever try lacquer thinner? Not paint thinner, but lacquer thinner... available at most automotive stores...
Gary

I like to flatten my stones once in a while using wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface. I spray the sandpaper with WD-40 and work the stone over the sandpaper until i get an even surface. This cleans the stone at the same time. I find that I get better results with a flat stone.

Greg

I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but have you ever tried lacquer thinner? No soaking, no scrubbing. Just rub it in a little bit with a finger, and wipe. It's just amazing. Just takes a few seconds, the stuff evaporates immediately, leaving nothing behind but clean.
Gary

I've been reading this w/ interest.As I have a old but in good shape 2X6" Norton AFB fine
stone.Which I got 20yrs ago from a electric power plant where a relative worked.It had dark streaks worked into it that I could not get out.? So, I tried much of what several said here.Bar keepers friend,soap and hot water,brake cleaner,alcohol, hand cleaner, unleaded gasoline all while using a metal brush.And w/ mild success.Maybe I got it 65%
clean.Then I tried boiling it in water and that gave me about 25-30% more success and
now I'll rest.The black streakes are gone from one side and almost from the other.
Still, don't know what that crud was but I'm sure mine was an extreme example.Now I can move on.Thanks to all contributors.DM

Now this is interesting. 13 different posts and not one person has tried this. Is anybody listening? I would really be interested in hearing from someone at this website who would be willing to try it just once. LACUER THINNER...

Now this is interesting. 13 different posts and not one person has tried this. Is anybody listening? I would really be interested in hearing from someone at this website who would be willing to try it just once. LACUER THINNER...

Nope! Ain't gonna do it. It wouldn't be prudent.:D

Calm down, we all know you know.
I did try turpentine which is a paint thinner.With mild results.It was what I had on hand.It takes me some time to try all the products named here.I'll get to it just as soon...then send out certificates.DM

Dish soap and a soft brush works fine, the kind of brush like you clean spuds with, or scrub your fingernails when you wash.
It lifts the particles out of the stone, and they get rinsed away by hot water.

Chuck

Back