Cleaning a gummed up stone

Thanks for the reply Dave. I took your advice. I had my coffee, and I feel much better now. Still waiting. While I'm at it, I tried some lacquer thinner in my coffee. Really cleans the teeth... (just kidding). Looking forward to hearing from ya when ya get the chance to try it on a stone or two. Keep me posted and thanks again.

When I use my Norton stone, I use thread cutting oil as a lubricant. When I'm done, I wipe off the stone with a rag. The stone has never gotten gunky, so I've never had to try to clean it.

Dear Rat,
That picture next to "Rat Finkernsein" is something else. Makes me want to sit up straight when I type.

Gary

When I use my Norton stone, I use thread cutting oil as a lubricant. When I'm done, I wipe off the stone with a rag. The stone has never gotten gunky, so I've never had to try to clean it.
Knarfeng,
Noticed your pic of the SR71 Blackbird. Was talking to a Vietmam vet about those things. He spoke of one time on the base (I forget where, but I don't thik it was the USA) when they did a fly by. The plane was 300 feet up and traveling at 1300 mph. He said it shook the cars in the parking lot and rattled every window in the area. He spent the longest time trying (in vain) to describe the experience of seeing something traveling sooooo fast and so close. Thought you might enjoy that.
Gary

HA,The SR71 was so well guarded that it was decomissioned before the Russians even knew we had such a Great,Great airplane.(even better).Every time I see it there I take a nice deep, comfortable breath.DM

Ok,Gary...I was able to try lacquer thinner. First remember as I posted, mine is an "unknown" extreme example.Using it just as you suggested and rubbing it in w/ finger.The Stuff works!It did better the first 4 times. The last 6 times I used a wire brush.It didn't take it all off but came close.(40min.work time)Theres just some faint streaks left on each side.Perhaps 2% on each side.(I'm at 96% now)I wish I had tried that at first, it would have saved me a lot of time and elbow grease.In all fairness for normal swarf build up the Boni or BarKeepers works fine.So, rule of thumb is:clean your stone after each use.2) If you encounter a abused stone you know a sure fire cleaner.Thanks DM

You want what's called a "Design Eraser".

It's used by graphic designers and illustrators and sold in art/craft supply stores.

It's a cross between an eraser and silly putty. It erases but it doesn't leave "crumbles" down on the surface. You erase with it and then kneed it to create fresh surfaces.

It'll suck up the junk, then you kneed it and go for it again.

Trust me. It costs about $1.00.

I've been reading this w/ interest.As I have a old but in good shape 2X6" Norton AFB fine
stone.Which I got 20yrs ago from a electric power plant where a relative worked.It had dark streaks worked into it that I could not get out.? So, I tried much of what several said here.Bar keepers friend,soap and hot water,brake cleaner,alcohol, hand cleaner, unleaded gasoline all while using a metal brush.And w/ mild success.Maybe I got it 65%
clean.Then I tried boiling it in water and that gave me about 25-30% more success and
now I'll rest.The black streakes are gone from one side and almost from the other.
Still, don't know what that crud was but I'm sure mine was an extreme example.Now I can move on.Thanks to all contributors.DM

Probably years of oily metal filings. My pocket stone gets those- sharpening edge-in helps shave them out.

Hey Dave!!!! Congratulations!!! Thank you for "trusting me" on this one. Here's another thought: when I'm cleaning out my paint gun and it's internals, I leave them over night in a small coffee can filled with a quart of lacquer thinner (about 4 dollars worth, at 16 bucks a gallon). Lacquer thinner keeps just about forever in the can. After an overnight soak, everything comes off. I wonder how this concept would work on your stone?

I'll say this for ya...you love you some lacquer thinner.

Like brake cleaner and gasoline, lacquer thinner is definitely an 'outdoor' chemical.

If you're doing it indoors, try Simple Green and a stiff brush.

Elkins45
Thank you for the heads up on the volatility of lacquer thinner. Safety is always in order. It is extremely flammable

If you have a refrigerator or any electric motor, or a heater furnace in your garage, you can get ignition. Laquer thinner is an outdoor sport.

For what it's worth, I used to have fits trying to get the metal filings out of my 320 grit norton bench stone. I tried everything. I had to grow satisfied with so-so results until one day I tried lacquer thinnner, the stuff they use for thinning automotive spray paint. Wow!!! What a difference. It seems to magically lift everything right out of the stone.

Peroxide + a small brass wire brush, then peroxide and an old toothbrush.

Back