Photos Connecticut's - Connies - CT Patterns

Miller your 100% correct! That’s what I will do! Thank you sir! I’m so excited haha

Is my dad around..? he is THE SIR in my family without question LOL!
Seriously, he was a submariner from 1967-1971, slippery shit he has described sweating out playing cat and mouse with the Soviets...in a steel tube, nuke powered, under nearly ever ocean and sea he could tell me about.:thumbsup:

I hope you find a good fit for that handle, I try to save almost every older handle I get, it doesn't always work out but...I keep trying.:thumbsup::cool:

Haha sorry it’s habit. “A person must give respect to receive respect”.

But yes I have a nice pile of old handles. I like to use them on some hammers and such. If it is applicable. With this head I would like to get a nice straight grain handle and make it super thin. i think the extra thin handles with the huge bit of a Connie just looks elegant and classic.

On another note I was comparing this Connie to some of my other axes and noticed the jersey/rockaway patterns are similar in bit and pole. Are the “jersey type” patterns (I know there are a few just don’t want to make them all) basically a Connie just taken up from the heel to the lower cheek area and then the different styles of Lower eye sections? That’s what it seemed like to me. This could be common knowledge I just realized the similarities. Since I have never owned a Connie it is new to me lol.

hey brian just post yer pics right here on the forum page--make sure they are jpeg size and you can "upload file" right here on this page---you don't need any hosting site---if that was the only way to post pics I would not be here....try it see what you cann do...
it is easy peasy man!!!!!

dang it that's right ya gotta have apaid membership to do the easy peasy---sorry man...

Last edited:
20180130_155014.jpg

20180130_155005.jpg

True Temper Kelly Works Flint Edge 4lbs - 28"

A little competition between two old CT friends

20180218_120934.jpg

Collins Legitimus 4lbs. 29" handle (L)

Kelly Works Flint Edge 4lbs. 28" (R)

20180218_120317.jpg

20180218_120754.jpg

Results...
Both are great and smooth choppers...the shorter handle on the Kelly is the only difference.

Both within my sweet spot length, each at the extreme of the range but both comfortable and balanced and efficient.

20180218_120905.jpg

No clear winner when both are tuned and chopping this smooth.
Vintage American Made Axes!

It was a fun test with two good friends:)

Might do a Legitimus V Rogers next time out

Last edited:
20180726_115022.jpg

20180726_115008.jpg

What an absolute heart throbbing joy the Kelly Registered is to use. Total 4lbs but effortless, smooth and sharp as hell.
It's right there with my 3 1/2lb Legitimus and 4lb Roger's Very Best...maybe pulling out in the lead for favorites though and easily.

Tomorrow I hope to give it and the Roger's superior a better run and compare them to my Very Best 78 and the Legitimus 3 1/2lb

They are all so great, smooth and close...its a mood thing at this level lol!

Actually, I think the one with the handle is a Collins also

Yes.
2 Legitimus
1 Kelly's flint edge hand forged
1 unmarked but a beauty with heavy pitting and a bruised and battered top O' the eye.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very handsome fellas there from Connecticut :cool:
I might as well show mine. kind of bored.

Left to right
4lb Knot Klipper, 3.5lb Rixford, 3lb Flint Edge

I might as well show mine. kind of bored.

Left to right
4lb Knot Klipper, 3.5lb Rixford, 3lb Flint Edge
Those are super nice Flint! I agree the haft on that TT is really something... love those curves! Haha. What are the letters on that haft? I'm curious as to the maker. Is it stock?

It's worth noting again that fire hardening a handle was done to improve its sales appeal not its performance.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/toasted-hickory.1554613/#post-17852358
https://arstechnica.com/science/201...ardened-spears-arent-as-badass-as-we-thought/

If you check out the Sesquatchee handle catalog from 1965 you will see that the fire treated or flame hardened handles are their bottom of the line products.
https://archive.org/details/SequatchieHandles/page/n1

"Code FT
FLAME TEMPERED-A Grade Hickory
Fire Finished Hickory
Fire Finished-waterproof sealer. Handles are furnished with Reddy Fit Eyes and wedges (where required). An excellent quality with tremendous sales appeal as well superior service and long life."

"Code IF
INDIAN FIRE HICKORY
Fire Finished – waterproof sealer. Handles are furnished with Reddy Fit eyes and wedges (where required). An excellent handle at competitive prices. Unusual sales appeal together with the ability to withstand hard service."

Back