Dinged up my M4 Tigress

Ban,
I feel that a 17-20 deg drop in the handle is helpful to maintain proper wrist alignment and decrease the extension needed to complete the cut. When I hold one of my blades out with my arm and elbow fully extended, the blade flows straight out. I do not need to flex my wrist to straighten the blade.

that makes a lot of sense... i'm sure it makes a big difference chopping too.:)
i was taking a look at your site and i notice the majority of your work has that 17-20 deg. drop in the handle.. even the neckers..which i really like..:D
you make some great looking knives Jose.. they all look like solid workers..:thumbup:

Ban,
I feel that a 17-20 deg drop in the handle is helpful to maintain proper wrist alignment and decrease the extension needed to complete the cut. When I hold one of my blades out with my arm and elbow fully extended, the blade flows straight out. I do not need to flex my wrist to straighten the blade.

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense. The canted handle will allow your wrist to stay in a straighter and stronger locked out position. :thumbup:

I will have to try that on the next chopper.

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense. The canted handle will allow your wrist to stay in a straighter and stronger locked out position. :thumbup:

Dooooo it :thumbup:

It's a trick that Ed Schempp taught me. That man really understands the mechanics of cutting. I am fortunate to hame him as a mentor.

It's a trick that Ed Schempp taught me. That man really understands the mechanics of cutting. I am fortunate to hame him as a mentor.

Ed is a awesome guy. I believe I also met him at the Eugene show a few years back.

BTW, how do you guys find CPM-3V compares to CPM-M4 in competition choppers? Are there competitors that use A2 or D2 choppers?

Ed is a awesome guy. I believe I also met him at the Eugene show a few years back.

BTW, how do you guys find CPM-3V compares to CPM-M4 in competition choppers? Are there competitors that use A2 or D2 choppers?

Dan should peak to the 3V question. D2 and CPM D2 have been tried unsuccessfully by Warren Osborne. I watched the CPM D2 knife fail during testing. It's a good steel, just not capable of withstanding impacts at 15-17 thousandths without rippling the edge.

I know that Brian Wagner is using A2. But his edges seem thick to me. I have not tried it yet myself.

Dan should peak to the 3V question. D2 and CPM D2 have been tried unsuccessfully by Warren Osborne. I watched the CPM D2 knife fail during testing. It's a good steel, just not capable of withstanding impacts at 15-17 thousandths without rippling the edge.

I know that Brian Wagner is using A2. But his edges seem thick to me. I have not tried it yet myself.

Thanks for the info. Wow you guys really take your edges to the limit on those choppers. Will have to try the thinner geometry on 3V .

I use 3V for my sword and knives. I haven't competed with it yet. I do currently have a some 3V choppers that are almost ready for testing. I am going to take them to the same edge geometry as my M4 blades and see how they compare. I will let you know how it goes.

Dan

Back