Favorite hunting knife?

What's the full model name/number for this knife? Thanks.

CAM00272.jpg

This is a CASE 6265 SAB with 9 dots

Last edited:
The Benchmade 190 Hunter (top) has served me faithfully and flawlessly for 10+ years. It has gutted whitetail, mule deer, antelope, and elk in about 5 different states. It almost felt like I was betraying an old friend when I bought a Bark River Huntsman (2nd from top) this past season. This was the first year in a long time that Benchmade didn't see any wild game. I may still throw it in from time to time.

It's an LT Wright "Clipper". Similar to a sharpfinger, but wider from spine to edge.

Glad to see LT is continuing to make a version of the Sharpfinger.

9o0p.jpg

These would be my other two favorite hunting patterns - a Loveless style drop point, and a bullnose:

zj4en.jpg

Last edited:
I just purchased my first Schrade Old timer Sharpfinger American made knife. Hunting knife to me translates into rabbits and catfish. I had another Schrade fixed blade knife that was my favorite .Hoping this Sharpfinger proves just as good. The edge needs some work. Im capable of getting it there thanks to bladeforums.

I know this question is a million years old but for anyone else looking - here is a decent review site of the top 10 hunting knives with a pretty lengthy buyers guide. It is written with pretty crap english but the data is solid.

My newest will be here soon. I love a drop point and curved handles. This one should become a favorite very quickly.
10552645_702835906418861_4709122276240556891_n.jpg

10491252_702835709752214_8041370557787552343_n.jpg

I've always used the el-cheapos but a Buck 110, mora, and and ol fillet knife has been what I've used for the better part of a decade. This year I found the benchmade hunt series (I only recently got into high end knives before they announced the line) and really like the look of the s30v and the dymonwood handles since they still retain that more traditional look to them. I ended up picking up the Grizzly Creek for EDC, liked it so much that I picked up the saddle mountain hunter.

I have a love-hate relationship with Gut Hooks. They're not necessary but are fine to have. I've never liked any of the knives with a gut hook at the tip of the blade, but since this one has it separate its worth a try. Only thing that I have cut with it is cordage and some miscellaneous meat. It should do just fine. However, the omega spring did break after 6 months (a lot of playing around with it). I felt the change, but it was a while before I actually got around to looking at what happened. I have no doubt that the lock wouldn't fail in the woods.

Saddle Mountain Hunter is something that has a thin enough tip that it will probably replace my fillet knife for rim jobs but strong enough that it should take care of most of the hunting tasks. The tip is on the delicate side, (there is a blade hq video with some dude named crocket where he was doing some bush-crafting with the saddle mountain skinner and broke the tip. Obviously outside the knife's intended use) but I tried it as a kitchen knife for a good while and it should do just fine too.

They're both first production runs, suddenly got a little gunshy after seeing how some popular limited runs can be worth quite a bit. so its a little hard to work up the courage to really wail on them even though they didn't cost me any extra. So I might be picking up copies depending on how much I like them this season.

So far been enjoying a Dogwood Custom Knives skinner S35VN and a Pro scalpel 3V.

EBleEdUl.jpg

CrwZDq4l.jpg

Back