Favorite hunting knife?

These birds are called black grouse. Taste them again. About one day need to marinate, better in dry wine. After that it will be more or less acceptable taste. However, in the Internet there is a lot of recipes for these birds, another question is that they are difficult to obtain :))))

In Scotland there is an on-steroids mega version of these called Capercaillie. The Canadian version is called Spruce Grouse or 'fool hen' by those that have dealt with them before. I tried to live off these one fall in n. Ontario 10 years ago but to be honest they taste much like the trees they were sitting under (black spruce). Ruffed Grouse on the other hand are quite tasty but were not common up there. I don't suppose you guys stand on the upside down dead bird's wings right at the 'armpit' and pull up hard on both legs to clean them? Pretty simple and effective method that leaves you holding two legs and the breast without muss or fuss.

I cleaned over 20 animals last year between what I shot, wife, friends, and helping with a hunt, and more the year before.

Phil Wilson in K294 is by far my favorite, and was used on almost all of them. Great design, great edge retention, and easy to sharpen.

If it is within the budget, I would highly recommend Phil Wilson as first choice.

The Dozier is excellent, and outstanding value. Really love the feel of this in hand. It is very comfortable. It takes a razor sharp edge, and holds it quite well.

Ingrams are beautiful, and work very well also.

Sold the Spey last year, wish I would not have, but replaced it with a Phil Wilson.

Last edited:
Interesting information, thank you!
In Scotland there is an on-steroids mega version of these called Capercaillie. The Canadian version is called Spruce Grouse or 'fool hen' by those that have dealt with them before. I tried to live off these one fall in n. Ontario 10 years ago but to be honest they taste much like the trees they were sitting under (black spruce). Ruffed Grouse on the other hand are quite tasty but were not common up there. I don't suppose you guys stand on the upside down dead bird's wings right at the 'armpit' and pull up hard on both legs to clean them? Pretty simple and effective method that leaves you holding two legs and the breast without muss or fuss.

Yes, to be sure, Wilson - mega knife. I would like to a have, but, unfortunately, I live very far away and think buy it to be a problem :(
I cleaned over 20 animals last year between what I shot, wife, friends, and helping with a hunt, and more the year before.

Phil Wilson in K294 is by far my favorite, and was used on almost all of them. Great design, great edge retention, and easy to sharpen.

If it is within the budget, I would highly recommend Phil Wilson as first choice.

The Dozier is excellent, and outstanding value. Really love the feel of this in hand. It is very comfortable. It takes a razor sharp edge, and holds it quite well.

Ingrams are beautiful, and work very well also.

Sold the Spey last year, wish I would not have, but replaced it with a Phil Wilson.

But, nevertheless, my knife from Vancron 40 continues to please me, hardness 63 Rockwell, sharpen not very difficult, and is just a shaver that cuts through the ribs near the spine, where theoretically need an axe.

http://www.inetkuznec.ru/product/nozh-vancron-40-1/
Here are the technical characteristics of a knife. There and bought. I liked the fact that after 3 days knife was made, and on the 4th day it was sent to me by mail. I sharpened at apex Pro, finish doing diamond 7/14 microns, shared sharpening angle made 35 degrees, at felling of small bones, cartilage and skinning no damage knife is not received. Here is me and surprised. Will users test it, will soon be hunting for elk , just want to cut them inch Manila ropes. But, IMHO, Vancron 40 wear walking around Vanadis 10, and probably better.

There is a minus - knife from this became necessary after the operation to wipe dry ,Vancron not the most corrosion resistant steel.

Here are some reviews about the same knife:
Fin Vancron-40
Valery (06.07.2013 19:13:12)
The quality of execution is the business card of a company. Polishing "in the mirror" without straining. Very well-sharpened knife.
But, what I was particularly pleased - version arm. In my opinion this aspect of design, the knives of the company fell behind on other models (I have 4). The Pro handles are comfortable for any grip. Of the minuses is necessary to take chamfer on the terminator from the handle.
Success to collective and Andrei Biryukov. Waiting for knives with Vanax 35 and Vanax 75.
Yours faithfully, Valery, Astrakhan.

Fin
Konstantin (01.07.2013 23:44:31)
Received today, this knife as always bomb execution of the well and the steel is fantastic che for рез.Всем very доволен.С respect to all of the forge.

I have to agree, the Sharpfinger is on of the best hunting knife designs there is. Regardless of $$, If I didn't feel a need for bigger and better, it would honestly take care of 99% of all requirements for dressing easily.

I got to handle a Spyderco Southfork some time back, my goodness is that a good feeling knife in hand.

My Busse Active Duty has dressed more deer than I can remember, but I used an Izula2 this year just to see how it would do. Did fine, but I prefer a bit more blade. I will probably try my Moran Drop Point next. Mora 780 Craftsman handles butchering duty quite well and has for several years.

As an UPDATE, the Active Duty is my favorite and is my go-to knife, and will always be the first I reach for. It is the perfect size and comfort, and with the edge thinned, is a great slicer. However, due to generosity, and the "3-knife experiment" thread, I will be trying out the Bark River STS-4 this year. It is a bit bigger than I prefer for dressing, but it is very comfy in hand also.

BusseAD010_zpsb06dca6c.jpg

BRKTSTS4020Large_zpsdde9b423.jpg

Nice knives Simple man.

I've been enjoying the Buck Paradigm, any other proud owners out there?

31UaSgOhKVL._SY300_.jpg

[Removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
As an UPDATE, the Active Duty is my favorite and is my go-to knife, and will always be the first I reach for. It is the perfect size and comfort, and with the edge thinned, is a great slicer.

Thinning the edge works wonders, and the steel can take it. One other mod that I did is in this pic. I'm one of the few who like choils, I like to choke up a lot. I modified the choil so that I could get closer. It's ugly, but much more functional for me.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/sodak_photos/P1000566.jpg

I traded an old compound bow for it. Custom made to my exact specifications and it works well for everything from squirrel to deer:

IMG_0635_zps37540c06.jpg

IMG_0346_zps7a3b5ef5.jpg

IMG_0344_zpsd429238e.jpg

I keep it sharp enough to make curls out of my wife's hairs...
KatysHair_zpsf23ea1cf.jpg

GD - both of those knives look like they'd be very comfortable in hand. Nice looking bow you have there - who made it? And are those aluminum footed shafts?

As an avid rabbit hunter I use a BHK Brookie.. I have used many different knives and this one has been my user for the past 2 seasons.. John

Back