Fiddleback on Tap Saturdays

Finally got my beer fridge restocked this week. A buddy from work and I split 7 cases of craft brew, hopefully that will last me 4 months, strong ipa and stronger stout are what you will find. Still not sure what i'll have when i get home from work late tonight.

Maybe a little internet browsing, a little Bourbon and a bit of ancient gouda... and a good excuse to use my first Sneaky Pete! What better on a dreary, rainy day?

My first submission … a beautiful Cocobolo Bushfinger paired with a Third Shift Amber Lager … both are smooth and well balanced …

BushnBrew01.jpg

~ Edge

well i'm home and i opted for the stone sublimely self-righteous ale. Was pleased to see them in 12 oz bottles, love stone but slugging back a 22 oz is sometimes more then i want.

What i do want is one of those sneaky petes the more i see them. Between that a bushfinger for my next purchase.

disduster: love that beer fridge! nice selections.

Very smooth Edge.

Good to see that SP getting dirty willic.

dcycleman: blues and a stout sound like a good combo.

I had one Easy Street Wheet, but then had to follow with a Coors Light. No pics for me tonight.

Maybe a little internet browsing, a little Bourbon and a bit of ancient gouda... and a good excuse to use my first Sneaky Pete! What better on a dreary, rainy day?

Hey Will, the more I look at this, the more I like it … improving with age … ? ;)

A golden ale for a golden Woodsman:

IMG_2759_zps07b205f4.png~original

Thurin, Nice combination … what are the specs on the Woodsman, size-wise? … thanks.

~ Edge

Last edited:
Thurin, Nice combination … what are the specs on the Woodsman, size-wise? … thanks.

~ Edge

Hey Edge - Thanks.

Woodsman is a 5 1/2" blade with 5" Handle. This one is 3/16" thick. I haven't had a chance to use it much other than just play around - been really cold here and i've been hunkered down. So far I really like it. Great size for me.

Here it is compared to a Kephart which is a 4" blade and 4.5" handle and a EDKarda with a 2.875" blade and 3.875" handle:

P1080429_zpsd32ca3bd.png~original

" … Hey Edge - Thanks.

Woodsman is a 5 1/2" blade with 5" Handle. This one is 3/16" thick. I haven't had a chance to use it much other than just play around - been really cold here and i've been hunkered down. So far I really like it. Great size for me.

Here it is compared to a Kephart which is a 4" blade and 4.5" handle and a EDKarda with a 2.875" blade and 3.875" handle … "

Thanks, man! Pretty good sized blade, nice … on another note, that EDK looks like it might make a mighty fine little carver … (my way of justifying another FB, of course)

~ Edge

Thanks, man! Pretty good sized blade, nice … on another note, that EDK looks like it might make a mighty fine little carver … (my way of justifying another FB, of course)

~ Edge

The Woodsman is a good sized blade, since I use it as much in the kitchen as I do, mine sees more use than any other knife I own I guess. I know you have a Bushfinger, so here is a comparison pic with one and a few others.

I do use mine in the kitchen a lot...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1095262-Soup-s-On-)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1098517-Simple-Southern-Chicken-amp-Dressing

Having recently acquired one, I can say that the EDK is a fun little carver, very controllable in detailed work, and a handy little edc knife. Mine is in SFT tang 3/32, and I can forget I have it on my belt at times.

Last edited:
Thanks, mistwalker!

That Woodsman would make a great kitchen knife … now why'd ya have to go give me that idea … ?

And the Kephart is startin to speak to me … liked the new Bushraptor a lot too ...

Damn, I'm in trouble …

Hey Edge - Thanks.

Here it is compared to a Kephart which is a 4" blade and 4.5" handle and a EDKarda with a 2.875" blade and 3.875" handle:

P1080429_zpsd32ca3bd.png~original

Thurin, that Woodsman is gorgeous!

Thanks, mistwalker!

That Woodsman would make a great kitchen knife … now why'd ya have to go give me that idea … ?

And the Kephart is startin to speak to me … liked the new Bushraptor a lot too ...

Damn, I'm in trouble …

So far the Woodsman is my all time favorite food prep knife, and the Kephart is my absolute favorite bushcraft knife to date.

Edge, here some more comparisons to help you with your addiction. The Hunter is a good kitchen knife for me as well.

I don't have the camera or the lightning to do it anywhere near justice, but here's my poor attempt at a MAW comparo shot. The fact that I just oiled everything doesn't help with the glare.

P1080455_zps2f12200c.png~original

KnifeBladeHandle
Woodsman5 1/2"5"
Hunter4 1/2"5"
Bushfinger4"4 1/2"
Kephart4"4 1/2"
Arete4"4 1/2"
Hiking Buddy3 1/8"4 3/8"
EDKarda2 5/8"3 7/8"
Runt2 1/4"3 1/4"

Nice score Thurin. I'm really liking that Woodsman. I'll get one, one of these days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one this Friday. I'd love a tuxedo or maroon micarta would be awesome.

Quite a collection you've got there Thurin

I agree, very nice, Thurin!

And thanks for the comparison shot … I really appreciate it. I have read through and used MAW's post quite a bit, and it's really a great resource. This one is a little less overwhelming and gives a quick "snapshot" … very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to do that.

I might have to add a Hunter to the list … (list is getting longer … )

Wait … I think I get it … you never actually finish the list … do you ?

~ Edge

Last edited:
I agree, very nice, Thurin!

And thanks for the comparison shot … I really appreciate it. I have read through and used MAW's post quite a bit, and it's really a great resource. This one is a little less overwhelming and gives a quick "snapshot" … very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to do that.

I might have to add a Hunter to the list … (list is getting longer … )

Wait … I think I get it … you never actually finish the list … do you ?

~ Edge

You're welcome.

And to your question in bold above, the answer is No.

My list is longer than budget/time/wife will ever allow.

Back