GEC Huckleberry Boy's Knife

From the picture you posted of it in the What You Have on Order thread, the iron rations will be well worth it! (er what are navy beans???)

A small white bean similar to "great northerns", but a bit smaller. I'll shoot you a PM with a picture if we have some in the pantry. We usually do because I like them even when we have lots of money... The Boy's knife isn't the problem; it's the two other TC Barlows I ordered that aren't here yet.

Ed J

Mine arrived in the mail today. It's going into a boy's stocking from Santa, but I'll tell you a bit about it before I set it away for a few days.

The jigged bone handles are incredible. The fit and finish is impeccable. The action is super-smooth and includes a solid half-stock. My only grievance, to make this a functional tool for a young boy, Great Eastern should have softened the action or weakened the spring. It's not the stiffest spring ever, and it's not too stiff to be uncomfortable for a Dad or Grandad, but there's no way a small boy will be able to manage without assistance.

The spring is stronger than a Queen S&M Heritage, but not as strong as a File & Wire. It's quite a bit stronger than a typical Case or Old Timer. If that makes sense.

I see flylock beat me to it! Nice shot, flylock!!

It had to be done, so here is my version:
Lights out!
IMG_0828.jpg

Lights back on again!
IMG_0829.jpg

I keep coming back to this thread for the photos! I ordered a single blade in the rust red, and the USPS has had it for a week and a half now! Not worried yet, but wish they would at least update the delivery status :)

Mine's due to arrive Monday also, went with the ebony covers but was sorely tempted by the rust red. Will be using it to open presents for the grandkids on Tuesday no doubt.

Just got my ebony two blade in the mail today. It is a work of art. It was actually pretty sharp right out of the tube. A few swipes on the strop and it was shaving hair. The pull on the main blade is a solid 5 on the 1 to 10 scale. There is no wobble what so ever with either blade, and the ebony covers fit perfectly. Now I am going to have to get some more funds together to get another one so that when my son gets a hold of this one I will have a replacement.

A small white bean similar to "great northerns", but a bit smaller. I'll shoot you a PM with a picture if we have some in the pantry. We usually do because I like them even when we have lots of money... The Boy's knife isn't the problem; it's the two other TC Barlows I ordered that aren't here yet.

Ed J
A little birdie told me in fact, they were delivered!!;)

Only one of the two. Still waiting for one to show. USPS says the 24th.

Ed J

Two bladed ebony arrived today. Very pleased, though as usual with GEC, it desperately needs a sharpening (my kitchen spatulas have a better edge). Been wanting an ebony handled knife for awhile and this fits the bill perfectly. My apologies for the cell phone pic.

8305408704_28c7b35123.jpg

I agree with you on the edges Shudaizi. But most importantly, they get the grinds just right!

My rust red showed up today, had to take a look before it magically appeared under the tree!

C19ECD02-2F59-4F23-B5FB-99A7F88079C0-1396-0000007241252A9F.jpg

76BE50E6-872B-4FB4-8609-8C54AF30DE8B-1396-00000071722D7F5B.jpg

Wow that's pretty! I'll agree the grinds right if a little dull. What I'm most impressed with is the point is really an actual point, probably due to the great swedging. Hope I can keep that point when I go to sharpen it.

Man those are good looking knives. I can't decide between it and the lil Indian girl canoe either in red bone. That ebony looks great too.

I'm holding out for a White Owl in 440C but I have to admit that these look very tempting. Might end up getting both for lack of self restraint.

Hi,

My Boy's Jack in ebony came today. I was sure it wasn't going to make it until after the 25th. So Happy Day!!!!!! All I can say is, this knife is one to carry for a lifetime or two.

From the label on the tube, to the feel and sound of the waxed paper wrap, to the faint smell of gun oil as I opened the wrapper. GEC has created a true connection to the pocket knives of old. My hat is off to all who put the effort into bringing this model to life.

Dale

They did a great job on the Tom Saywer barlows, and I can't wait to order one of these Huck Finn knives. Looking for a single and double blade, any handle scale, but those long nail pulls look great.

Mike, the grinds are great, I agree. Your first pic is a real stunner!

I agree with you on the edges Shudaizi. But most importantly, they get the grinds just right!

My rust red showed up today, had to take a look before it magically appeared under the tree!

C19ECD02-2F59-4F23-B5FB-99A7F88079C0-1396-0000007241252A9F.jpg

76BE50E6-872B-4FB4-8609-8C54AF30DE8B-1396-00000071722D7F5B.jpg

===========
Only connect.
===========

-- Kevin

Back