Great Outdoors Classics. Favorite pieces of kit.

I don't know if anyone has started a thread like this, just thought it'd be valuable and interesting to see what everyone considers the "classics" of their kit.

Maybe it doesn't weigh half an once, maybe its heavier because its solid as hell. Maybe its a creature comfort and not an essential., maybe it gets you buzzed.

A few of mine would be my old Svea 123 stove, my Surefire Minimus, and an old OD wool surplus shirt with a pouch of rolling tobacco in the front pocket.

Almost everything I carry! As a result of being very picky and demanding about my gear doing what I want, the way I want it done, I really like most of my gear, and even get pretty enthusiastic about it.

Classic classic-Primus "Ultralight" stove. Maybe it was ultralight 10 or 12 years ago, and the piezo lighter takes a few more tries to light lately, but it works, and will never be replaced until it stops working.

Modern classic-Marmot Scree softshell pants. Water-resistant, wind-resistant, breathable, and very fast-drying. Stretch, and don't tear, cool when it's hot, warm when it's cold. Most comfortable pants I've ever had on, and my heavily used ones look just like they did when new. Originally bought two pairs at half price, and one gave up some stitching at the crotch almost immediately, which put a damper on things, and gave me doubts(and I've procrastinated horribly about getting them repaired for the last year). The other pair has been an almost constant companion outdoors ever since, and held up so beautifully that I bought another pair at full retail before a recent trip just so I wouldn't have to wear anything else.
http://marmot.com/products/scree_pant

An old beat up OD green reusable space blanket. Basically a heavy green tarp with a reflective coating on the other side.

That thing comes with me EVERYWHERE. Dayhikes, overnights, 4x4ing, week long hikes, fishing trips, hunting trips, you name it. I always have it with me. It's got holes and taped up patches all over it, the grommets are all ripped out and replaced by a mess of duct tape and "shoe-goo" glue, and it stinks like the woods. It's been used as a tarp, a tent, a blanket (that reflective stuff does actually work! kinda... lol) a ground sheet, and most commonly, a heat reflector / windbreak near the fire. I love it. Best 12 bucks I've ever spent. And thats coming from a guy who carries a Mora Clipper!

Since I have not purchased new gear in 30 years, is all my kit classic???
LOL

It all works very well, tried and tested...

I guess most of my stuff is classic, as I've refined my gear to the point that mostly all I buy is consumables.

But, for things that I always kept or only tried something else for a little while, I'd say the top item is my canteen kit: Pouch, stove, cup, canteen. TYried Nalgenes for a while, didn't like them as well.

GI poncho. Never left it.

How about the blue and white porcelin cookware ? (I.E. 70's vintage)

Dutch Oven ?

A el chepo multi tool

Mine would probably have to be an old 3 blade folding buck pocket knife. Nothing special to anyone else, but I wouldn't go without it.

Doc

Canteen kit, of course. Takes a beating every year and keeps coming back for more.

Plastic nalgene water bottle - still the best and you can't cuddle with a hot-fluid containing stainless one. SAK, surprised its not mentioned yet. Combat boots, awesome this time of year. I like to wear gortex socks with them so I can accommodate wet or dry conditions. Bandanna - never used it on my head, but its handy for everything else.

Bandana is a great one. Something I may not take every time but really like having is my CS trail hawk. I just feel like a mountain man with it hanging off my belt. :D

I bought a shemagh just for fun about 2 years ago and have since picked up 3 more for various bags. I carry one nearly all the time. I use it to bundle stuff, as a drop cloth, kneepad, towel, small shade, wipe up oil around my car, I've cut little bits off and burned them as starter (not sure if they're all cotton or blended) and is of course an awesome scarf/headgear in the cold. That and a SAK hiker are the only things guaranteed to be on or near me, the rest is a constantly revolving mess :D

JW

bandana's are handy, I find a Buff handier yet

agreed on the SAK- particularly the Farmer w/ saw (or the similar German Army knife)

SS Guyot bottle- drink, boil, cook- does it all in one vessel, easy to add a bail handle too

You probably also love the smell of those green spiral pics - the mosquito repellent ever on the picnick table during an outdoor cribbage game....:D

my official boy scout silva compass.

34 yrs strong, had it since I was 6 yrs old, dad hung it off my neck with butcher's string as I liked to wander

it still lives in my tackle box for when fog rolls in on the water

My Gerber Yari I, plain edge is my classic favorite.
really love that knife. Maybe too "new" to be classic. I have 2. One for each of my sons so I can pass them down.

I also have an "worsterlorn" shirt I bought in the mid 90's that is Sears brand that is just excellent. Like a wool shirt but washes like polyester.

I have a cheap poly/wool watchcap that I've had since about '92 that pretty much goeson every adventure.

Back