Great Outdoors Classics. Favorite pieces of kit.

My 40+ year old Silva Ranger compass. Never needs batteries and always ready to work unlike my GPS's which are fantastic but make sure you have spare batteries. That compass is ALWAYS with me whenever I am offroad in any capacity.

I need to add my K&M matchsafe- storm matches, tinder (firestraws) and a Suunto compass rolled into one; high quality piece of kit that should last a lifetime

Not sure if paracord is a classic, but man that stuff has changed my life. Making an organized cord kit with pre-cut up lengths saves you from the continuous whittling away at your rope phenomena and makes tarp set up a snap.

Somebody already mentioned the thicker type emergency blankets that make an excellent 5 x 7 tarp. I know a tone of people also love their poncho for this purpose. I like the emergency blanket, I'm always finding multiple uses for it whether it is just to collect shavings for fire prep and save them from hitting the wet ground, a dry place to sit or a rain guard for your fire.

It's probably not a "classic"... but, ever since the Izula came out, I've had one with me. I love that little knife, and it's ever-present companion of mine.

Buffalo Windshirt – Replaced an old parachute fabric Zoot Suit top.

SAK Outrider - Replaced SAK Hunter.

Silk tube scarf – Replaced both a wool Headover and a Meraklon job.

Zippo – Replaced another Zippo.

Trangia kettle – Added when I got browned off having to boil water in the same pot I ate from.

Karrimats – Replaced two other bits of cut down pressure blown Karrimat in green. I swapped to yellow because I don't carry much in the way of high visibility stuff, that's all.

Pipe – Added after I discovered how portable and easy to clean it was.

Secateurs – Replaced a better quality but way heavier pair.

Pliers – Replaced other pliers and multitools.

I've a linen hat vying for the next spot but at only five years old it's not in the same class as the above. Plus it is seasonal.

These 3 knives are some favorites that have gone w/ me a lot
nessiemk.jpg

bd2j.jpg

chike16ei9.jpg

This cook pot and little skillet
openskill.jpg

Joezilla turned me onto how cool the folding bowl and spork were on a hiking trip we took and I've never looked back
blueberrybannock.jpg

rampck6.jpg

This pack and cup and hatchet are tried and true. The pack is my winter pack
reevesy.jpg

Summer pack and the GB Mini are tried and true also.
fungi2b.jpg

The wife is an essential field item!
wifeandiuz9.jpg

Oh and this folder. Well this is my backup but I have a much more worn one of the same model I bring.
hubie4.jpg

For me it is a SAK as I have carried one since 1969. The model I carried the longest was a champion which accompanied me for 30 years. It has been replaced by a XLT, although I frequently will also carry a Farmer.

Fantastic everybody. i was hoping this thread would form a kind of personality and really start showing pieces that mean a lot to people and its happening. "Classic" means personal, and i hope that bladesmen continue to post items that are really special to you.
Thank you

A couple of classics for me:

MS Ghost Bacpack & Leki Poles
IMG_0538.jpg

Esbit Stove & MSR Titan Kettle
IMG_0531.jpg

MSR MiniWorks Filter
IMG_0518.jpg

Oh and some open space to explore
IMG_0572.jpg

Let's see....

GI canteen cup, dated 1951...been with me since I was a scout in the late '70s
No. 3 cast iron skillet, probably 100 years old...seasoned to a "T"...eggs never tasted so good
Coleman lantern--have several, all white gas, the latest made in '75

Back