Hinderers hard at work (photo theme thread)

I like to give my Hinderers a good workout. They are in my pocket on the job on a daily basis and help with everything from cutting cardboard and splitting cedar shingles, to scoring aluminum flashing. Any cutting task I can come up with my Hinderers have been up to the task and have ended up looking no worse for the wear. A little touch up on the wicked edge every now and then and they are good as new. Have pics of your favorite hinderer hard at work? Lets see em!

Untitled by Jensen13304, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'll try and get a pic up later, but curious, which steel is your favorite in an XM?

I can't say I have a strong preference. The s35v, cts xhp, and 20 cv all hold a great edge, sharpen up nicely, and resist wear. No complaints about any of them. They are all excellent choices for hard use knives.

I've used 20 cv and s35v quite a bit and love both in a Hinderer. They must do an awesome heat treatment!

I like to give my Hinderers a good workout. They are in my pocket on the job on a daily basis and help with everything from cutting cardboard and splitting cedar shingles, to scoring aluminum flashing. Any cutting task I can come up with my Hinderers have been up to the task and have ended up looking no worse for the wear. A little touch up on the wicked edge every now and then and they are good as new. Have pics of your favorite hinderer hard at work? Lets see em!

Yikes, scoring flashing and cutting concrete bags, those are good ways to make it dull in a hurry. Not nearly as bad as shingles though...

Haha. I don't use it exclusively to do those chores. I use an old kobalt utility knife most of the time. I have used my hinderers for all of the above on occasion though including cutting asphalt shingles (rough side down of course).

Last edited:
Yikes, scoring flashing and cutting concrete bags, those are good ways to make it dull in a hurry. Not nearly as bad as shingles though...

Or cutting drywall! Ran into some the other day and all I had with me was my neck knife. What a mistake. Took the edge off pretty quickly :D

Or cutting drywall! Ran into some the other day and all I had with me was my neck knife. What a mistake. Took the edge off pretty quickly :D

Drywall is bad, but I still give the "edge" to shingles.

heres my trusty EDC w me at work today in my stores 2nd location...its nice and eeeaaasy up here. plenty of time for snapping awesome pics w my dying cell phone! ;):D

cut some tape...that count? lol:D

Untitled by cooldaddyfunk286, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cooldaddyfunk, nice ti wharnie! And what the heck is that machine in your last picture? I can't figure it out.

Nice Cooldaddy! Love the pics!! Looks like you work for a home garden shop...? Some sort of wheel of light for the plants...? Full sprectrum metal halide/mecury vapor lamp

Great thread bump buddy. I love when you post pics. They are always top notch. They make me really miss my wharnie though. :(

Kwazy...u got it my friend, that bulb is the 1k high pressure sodium. Thanks for all the kind words fellas. This cell phone camera must have taken a lifetime of pictures already haha. I knew the rotating hydro garden would make for a good setting. Everyone else has been posting awesome pics too. Let's keep em goin! :)

20140220_164636_zpsx0zselxb.jpg

I can't get away with takin' a whole lot of scenery as it ain't legal, but this was taken inside a state psychiatric facility...

^^^ Now back back you crazies!! This is mine :D

Once you get the wharnie in your hand it's hard to get it to leave your and and sight for that matter...

CDF very cool knife and pretty sophisticated garden supply outfit you have there. That Vortex Brewer is over the top!

Lot's of wharnies in this thread! CDF, would you say that the wharnie is the best grind for gardening work? It sure seems like it would be. That being said, as much as I love my 3.5" slicer, I may have to pick up a 3" wharnie when they become available.

Jensen, your new knife looks at home in that environment. I had a non flipper gen 3, I let it go now seeing your picture I'm kicking myself in the rump, loved how the thumb stubs made it snap out into lock position.

All of my hinderers are amazingly smooth but this one in particular is like butter. Especially after i put a little nano oil on it and tweaked the pivot to my liking. Freeking loving this knife!

Back