1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

HYBRID! Meet the FFG BK17!

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by K9-Handler, Jul 13, 2012.

1. K9-Handler

K9-Handler

Jan 27, 2012
    Lots of folks like the BK16 because it's FFG (Full Face Grind). I'm not a fan of drop points, so while FFG is nice, I never had a warm spot for the BK16.

Now a BK17 -- that's a whole different bucket of worms! Love the pointy clip point, as do other Beckerheads (if I could dedicate this mod it would be to Thrillbilly). But a BK17 has a clumsy, but strong, sabre grind.

What if we could pick and choose between the best of both??

'Tis happened my lads and ladies! ;)

Meet "HYBRID", the BK16 that had an "operation" and became a FFG BK17. The following is the lineage:

[​IMG]

Don't let the polished surface fool you, the shape of a -17 was traced onto a -16 exactly, then everything that wasn't a -17 was ground away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was at it I ran HYBRID through my semi-dedicated jimping machine and added two new jimp grooves, one in front and one behind the stock ones, and cleaned the stock ones up:
    [​IMG]

I know it's subjective, but in my mind we have a new King of the Tweeners! :D

2. SaturatedShadow

SaturatedShadow

Apr 28, 2010
    Sweet. I want one.

3. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Shiny! Looks well executed. Im sure I am in the minority, but I actually prefer sabre or else high flat ground on the tweeners. One of the main reasons I went for the FPR. But that does look cool. What does a jimping machine look like?

4. Nsvens89

Nsvens89

Apr 26, 2011
    Very nicely done. That jimping looks great also.

5. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    good mod, and swedgey too.

-Daizee

6. Uncle Malice

Uncle Malice

May 13, 2012
    Don't let Thrillbilly see that! :D

Looks great!

7. Jonny1280

Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2012
    I approve.

8. Thumper99

Thumper99

Oct 16, 2011
    The only reason he hasn't posted yet is because he is on his way to Connecticut to steal it...

9. Chameleonbear

Chameleonbear

Aug 14, 2008
    Too late, I'm on my way!

10. BaldingEagle

BaldingEagle

Feb 16, 2010
    I like it!!!!!! A lot!!!!!
    Balding

11. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    I kinda just attacked my monitor....there's drool and fluids all over...not a pretty sight over here.

And that's what was in store for my 16 at some point....only way better executed.

I need my 16 left factory for sheath-making...but I was thinking about buying another one just for that. I dunno, but was thinking a FFG 17 might be a better hunting knife while the sabre 17 would be a better hard-use woodsknife.

If I hadn't got way into my knife-fund these past 2 weeks.....I would be sending a ''Buy It Now'' message instead of writing this post.
    be prepared to duplicate that mod at a later date K9. I'll be back LOL

ETA
    I just scrolled back up for another look. I still love it. dam eet man....you ARE a mad genius!

12. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    Back again. So sexy.

I like the added jimping too, had thought about that.

You even swedged it..... I freakin love that thing LOL

Now Im curious which I would like more....I really really like the looks of the sabre.....but i like that FFG clip too. Hmmmmm

13. Holmesmade

Holmesmade

May 8, 2005
    That is quite possibly the sweetest Becker mod I've seen yet and there have been some fantastic mods done here!!!

Now I'm gonna have to figure out how to get the purchase of TWO -16's worked into the budget... Need one standard and one to mod up similar to yours.
    Then I'll have to do up a twin tweener sheath. More freakin' work to do...

14. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    I'm with crimsonfalcon on this one, I prefer the saber ground version better. But, that's still some excellent work. Very nicely done.

15. Stark Knives

Stark Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2010
    [​IMG]

16. cbwoods67

cbwoods67 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Looks great, nice work.
    What did you use to get that finish?

17. wasatchdan

wasatchdan

Jan 6, 2007
    K-9, are you by chance offering this mod to customers, or is this just a personal mod? 'Cause if you are offering it, I want this done to my 16. This is the perfect Tweener, as far as I'm concerned.

Very, very awesome. :thumbup:

18. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick

Mar 31, 2011
    Droolworthy. Would compliment my sabre 16 very nicely...

19. Tylerxp

Tylerxp

Jul 10, 2012
    I am a fan of the drop point, but Wow! That looks great. You really nailed this one.

20. Doogoon

Doogoon

Feb 21, 2012
    That looks pretty cool!

I still think that the 17 would fair off better with a hollow grind.