It followed me home (Part 2)

Since I'm already off topic today.

An ignition wrench (to what I have no idea) and a sash pulley drill.
It's for cutting a mortise pocket in the top of a window frame. A pulley was set in this pocket. It was strung with a counterweight to make it easy to raise ans lower a single hung window (top pane is fixed, lower pane raises and lowers).

There should be gears attached to each of the drill points. The center drill is direct drive. The other two bits will be reverse cutting. As the center bit cuts in the forward direction the gears turn the other two in the opposite direction.

If you have some AeroKroil and some patience I'd like to see the inside of that thing.

Nice ones too.
That's about what I do, if I find something I think I need or catches my eye it comes home.
Is the Wheeler Madden second from the left?

I cleaned up that rust bucket rip saw. I can't see a model number but it's an early etch, Disston & Son, three piece rocker style with the bottom reading "patent ground". The nuts are more modern so handle might not be original, don't know about the medallion.
Yes, that one is the Wheeler Madden. The pic with the patent date is also the Wheeler Madden.

klBKZXS.jpg

Just coming back from the Hillsville swap meet once again, seems like it gets smaller every year but that doesnt mean there's not still a few things to find, like a few NOS items, like this screwdriver and a certain knob-end ax handle ill be posting in a different thread shortly. The big score though was the Pulaski. I've never found one in good condition around here, it's even got a partial FSS stamp. when the guy said 10 i couldnt pass it up.

lastly, those pliers, theyre stamped Eifel Flash Plierench, they work as parallel jaw pliers and an adjustable wrench. when you pull down on the mobile handle, it allows the moving jaw to slide freely, and you can engage it with different gear teeth, letting you very easily change the width of the jaws. I paid a lot more than i would have liked to, but some of these things you cant hardly pass up

I've only ever seen 1 plumb saddle cruiser, 10 years ago at a flea market and I thought the $30 the guy wanted was too much.
Today I'd have no problem giving that guy even $50 for it in a heartbeat.
Thought I should follow up on my previous post with some pics. Here's my PLUMB SC pictured with a recently acquired PLUMB DB:
20230904_000212.jpg
20230904_000242.jpg
20230904_000309.jpg
20230904_000337.jpg
20230904_000413.jpg
I find it peculiar that my SC came to me as you see it on a 31 1/4 inch haft! Kind of awkward to carry on horseback. T-A

Thought I should follow up on my previous post with some pics. Here's my PLUMB SC pictured with a recently acquired PLUMB DB:
View attachment 2309774
View attachment 2309775
View attachment 2309776
View attachment 2309777
View attachment 2309778
I find it peculiar that my SC came to me as you see it on a 31 1/4 inch haft! Kind of awkward to carry on horseback. T-A
a cruiser and a full sized right?
Are you going to look for a saddle cruiser " hatchet " to round out the trio ?

BTW that reminds me I still don't have a cruiser axe, let alone a little Saddle cruiser ( not a vintage one anyways )

I do not recall ever seeing Plumb saddle cruiser, so, most likely, Plumb has never offered one.
10 years ago I passed on a plumb saddle cruiser because I thought $30 was too much.
Maybe it was actually cruiser on a short handle, but I remember the handle having a proper and there was a sheath sitting next to it. from what I remember it didn't look like a worn down cruiser head or anything, but the surface of the steel was a bright so it could very well have been a worn down cruiser head somebody " cleaned up " and put on a short handle of some kind.

I asked how much, reacted a bit shocked when I heard $30, and the guy said " that little axe is older than you " as if age alone effects value.
That response from the guy really stuck out in my mind which is why I remember the axe.

a cruiser and a full sized right?
Are you going to look for a saddle cruiser " hatchet " to round out the trio ?

BTW that reminds me I still don't have a cruiser axe, let alone a little Saddle cruiser ( not a vintage one anyways )
That's correct, a full-size DB next to the cruiser for comparison. What's a saddle cruiser hatchet? I'm imagining a tiny db head on a 16-18" haft. T-A

It's for cutting a mortise pocket in the top of a window frame. A pulley was set in this pocket. It was strung with a counterweight to make it easy to raise ans lower a single hung window (top pane is fixed, lower pane raises and lowers).

There should be gears attached to each of the drill points. The center drill is direct drive. The other two bits will be reverse cutting. As the center bit cuts in the forward direction the gears turn the other two in the opposite direction.

If you have some AeroKroil and some patience I'd like to see the inside of that thing.
Yes, it matches the holes in my window frame, long not in use. I have seen pictures of them with more drill bits attached also. I will take a picture and post it when I start to clean it up.

I can't help but think what a handy gadget it would be in a bigger size with changeable bits, I am going to help a friend on a split rail fence and this tool came to mind.

I can't help but think what a handy gadget it would be in a bigger size with changeable bits, I am going to help a friend on a split rail fence and this tool came to mind.
If you can't find a larger one the new tri-cut augers are pretty slick.

Yesterday's pawnshop treasures:
20230908_220918.jpg
20230908_220925.jpg
20230908_220925-1.jpg
20230908_220940.jpg
20230908_220957.jpg
20230908_221011.jpg
20230908_221034.jpg
20230908_221101.jpg
VAUGHAN carpenter's hewing hatchet painted a beautiful shade of "can't get lost in the timber" orange and with a cord wrapped neck for overstrike protection. I'm not sure how these mods are beneficial for a carpenter using this tool for its intended purpose!? Also, note that it comes with an entire hardware store jammed in the top of the haft! The BUCK 110 is dated 2017 and has a few tiny nicks in the blade. The KERSHAW is spring-assisted and has taken up residence (for now) clipped to my right front pocket. Total spent: $50, tax included. Thanks for watching. T-A

I love the Buck's but I'm even more passionate for vintage Uncle Henry bear paws (LB7).
I also am fond of the LB7, although the 110 is my first love. Here are three clearly branded Schrades and another that appears to be incognito:20230911_231539.jpg
20230911_231613.jpg
20230911_231629.jpg
20230911_231738.jpg
The sterile example appears to have never been marked rather than having had the mark ground off. I believe the proof of its birthright is in the serial number, a feature found on the early LB7s, as they originally were guaranteed against any thing, including loss. If anyone has more information regarding the unmarked specimen, please share it with me. Thanks for watching! T-A

I hit a yard sale on my way home from work.

Another V&B 24oz, a pair of wardmaster slipjoints, and an early 50' pair of Channellock no.410 nutbusters.
There were multiple bins of pliers and screwdrivers so I may have to go back tomorrow.
I've bought stuff from the lady before, her late father or husband was a flea market vendor and she's stuck with the stuff that she occasionally has a yardsale for.

Back