Recommendation? Looking for my first tomahawk. What to look at?

I believe the time has come for me to buy my very first tomahawk (damn, I'm still learning how to spell that word!). What should I pay attention to when choosing my first one? I will use it to chop wood and as "tactical". I don't even know where to start. Budget? Something entry-level.

Pretty budget friendly .
IMG_20230415_193002842.jpg

The Estwing that the previous poster recommended is a good one.

These two Cold Steels are great also. Very tough and durable, replacement handles are cheap and easy to find. Cold Steel did a great job designing these. The only thing I did is add some shrink wrap to the handles for better grip and also apply some blue loctite to the bolts. They have been known to loosen up under hard use but loctite takes care of this issue.

Cold Steel War Hawk:

WAR HAWK

Cold Steel Trench Hawk:

TRENCH HAWK - OD GREEN

Last edited:
I have lots of hawks. Even though I have a very nice RMJ Tactical hawk, a lot of times I just grab on of my Cold Steel versions. It just depends what you are looking to do with it. The Frontier is a nice bit-only type that is good for cutting, lightweight, throws well (if you're into that), and packs fine. The Trailhawk is one of my favorites for...well, trails. I have had a few of them, and I cut them down to something like right at 12". They ride well on the belt and give you a nice combination of cutting bit and hammer. The Norse hawk is...well, not really Norse, but it throws well. My first CS hawk was a Rifleman Hawk. It's a beast. Certainly more clumsy in hand but it is a hard hitter. I've had a pipe hawk and a couple other ones that I can't remember.

If you want a cheap entry level tradition hawk, the CS line is hard to beat for what they cost. The mentioned polymer handled ones are great as well. I would even say that I have had had pretty good luck with the stainless headed SOG hawks.

What style tickles your fancy? Traditional look, utilitarian, tactical, vietnam hawks, spike hawks, hammer polls?

And whats your budget?

For $189 you cant beat an American Tomahawk Model 1. They are a modernized Lagana Vietnam hawk. I love it so much its my profile pic

What style tickles your fancy? Traditional look, utilitarian, tactical, vietnam hawks, spike hawks, hammer polls?

And whats your budget?

For $189 you cant beat an American Tomahawk Model 1. They are a modernized Lagana Vietnam hawk. I love it so much its my profile pic
Another vote for the American Tomahawk Model 1. And it comes in both hickory and polypropylene (which is virtually indestructible). One day Iā€™m going to add the Model 2

Polypropylene or Wood, which handle is better? I believe in Polypropylene.
Believe in it? Hell man, Iā€™ve SEEN it!

But I prefer wood, because I can carve it. Hawk handles are easier than hatchet/axe handles, and I usually rive them to about 90% before smoothing with the spokeshave, leaving some of the rived surface for grip texture.

I can also have 3 or 4 handles for the same head, varying in 2-3ā€ increments.

Most of mine are straight, because Iā€™ve got a thing for spike and hammer hawks - they need to be comfortable forwards and back. But I have carved curved and twisted ones as well.

Overall, I think wood is more versatile and unique.

Parker

I reckon I should mention my current favorite: the Longhunter by 2Hawks. It's a cast head that is extremely durable and cuts better than it has any right to, given its size and light weight. It's a superb hawk that I recommend to anyone who asks.

I also aspire to a hawk by WalkbyFaith777 (type that into Google and you'll find it). Lots of options for customization.

I can highly recommend the H&B Forge Boys Hawk.

For $70 you get a handmade hawk with a forge welded bit and a press fit head.

Only downside is that you have to wait a bit as theyā€™re made by one guy one-by-one.

Hereā€™s a size comparison with a Cold Steel Frontier Hawk.
E9A80529-AB5C-42B6-9B91-5322D16C6137.jpeg

ETA: I personally think a ā€œwood chopping/tacticalā€ hawk should be on the small side, and I originally ordered the ā€œSmall Camp Hawkā€. FYI: It has a fairly thin handle which was too small for me (but which fit my wife, who also happened to like it quite a lot, so now itā€™s hersā€¦
E3609464-6492-422D-83FD-FBC107B7C8FA.jpeg885D8502-32C4-4304-89D6-01F62EFDFF6C.jpeg

Last edited:
I reckon I should mention my current favorite: the Longhunter by 2Hawks. It's a cast head that is extremely durable and cuts better than it has any right to, given its size and light weight. It's a superb hawk that I recommend to anyone who asks.

I also aspire to a hawk by WalkbyFaith777 (type that into Google and you'll find it). Lots of options for customization.
Your post cost me a lot of money šŸ˜. Just placed an order from WalkbyFaith777. Expensive but holy hell are those beautiful hawks. As a hawk addict, I didnā€™t even fight the compulsion šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

I can highly recommend the H&B Forge Boys Hawk.

For $70 you get a handmade hawk with a forge welded bit and a press fit head.

Only downside is that you have to wait a bit as theyā€™re made by one guy one-by-one.

Hereā€™s a size comparison with a Cold Steel Frontier Hawk.
View attachment 2516703

ETA: I personally think a ā€œwood chopping/tacticalā€ hawk should be on the small side, and I originally ordered the ā€œSmall Camp Hawkā€. FYI: It has a fairly thin handle which was too small for me (but which fit my wife, who also happened to like it quite a lot, so now itā€™s hersā€¦
View attachment 2516880View attachment 2516881
How does that boyā€™s hawk do chopping wood? I have a couple of their camp hawks and love them but they are on the heavier side. Have an unsupported bike camping tour coming up and looking for something light that can hold its own in camp chopping and even splitting small kindling. I bought a small hatchet for the trip but even that is heavy and I like the idea of a longer handle.

Last edited:
Hey R rlewpolar ,

Itā€™s pretty good at chopping/splitting kindling for its weight (1.25 pounds). It develops good head speed and hits hard due to the long handle.

The edge came fairly thick for my taste so I thinned it out some and now it bites deep.

I also drilled a very small hole in the handle and added some nylon micro-cord for extra grip, but due to the straight/un-contoured nature of the handle itā€™s still less comfortable for longer chopping sessions than my axes and large knives.
460CBA7F-EF94-456C-A973-F35C4412B086.jpeg44E8D79A-A745-4C67-9C64-6929FAD76215.jpeg
3CF726F6-11FA-4150-AB4B-54D0BB9A57F6.jpeg
(Last pic shows the remains of a trail-obstructing branch that I took out the previous year with the same hawk).

Hey R rlewpolar ,

Itā€™s pretty good at chopping/splitting kindling for its weight (1.25 pounds). It develops good head speed and hits hard due to the long handle.

The edge came fairly thick for my taste so I thinned it out some and now it bites deep.

I also drilled a very small hole in the handle and added some nylon micro-cord for extra grip, but due to the straight/un-contoured nature of the handle itā€™s still less comfortable for longer chopping sessions than my axes and large knives.
View attachment 2519527View attachment 2519528
View attachment 2519559
Thanks! Great pics. Think Iā€™ll pick one up

Back