Recommendation? Looking for my first tomahawk. What to look at?

I am far from an expert, but I bought a Mark McCoun hawk from eBay a few years ago. Seems like they are going for quite a bit more than what I paid. But the quality is there for sure!
That is a gorgeous hawk!

I believe the time has come for me to buy my very first tomahawk (damn, I'm still learning how to spell that word!). What should I pay attention to when choosing my first one? I will use it to chop wood and as "tactical". I don't even know where to start. Budget? Something entry-level.
It's hard to go wrong with a couple Cold Steel 'Hawks to start and gives you an idea on the basics. I'm perfectly happy with modding the four I have for now...

Based on what you are asking for, this is the one to get. I think you will be very pleased with it. If you shop around, you can find it right at around $100. Excellent sheath also

View attachment 2519122
1055 steel tough as it get for hammers, axes, and hawks I have a few of these as well and the shock and awesome. Not my first choice to build a log cabin but for a combat/trail hawk this is an excellent choice. One is always on my pack because it just works and will not break.

I'm thinking about Cold Steel's Demko Hawk / Recon Hawk ... Any cons?
Those are interesting, I may have to pick one up. I like Demko's designs.
So far I've stuck with the wood-haft style, with good results. I like being able to remove the blade if needed.

Tactical, spike hawks.

<$100. I just want to get my very first hawk, so nothing too fancy, I need something entry-level to look at and see how it goes

Profile says you're in Canada, what's easily available up there in that budget? I imagine shipping from the US will ger you on some of the recommendations, likes 2hawks and H&B, (both great).

Profile says you're in Canada, what's easily available up there in that budget? I imagine shipping from the US will ger you on some of the recommendations, likes 2hawks and H&B, (both great).

Oh, Canada! I don't know why all blades are x1.5 times more expensive here than in the US (just wondering, is it in Canada only, or in other countries as well? maybe it's not that blades are expensive in Canada, maybe they are simply cheap in the US? 🤔 ). Anyways, there are a few Cold Steel hawks available in that budget, some Estwing, some SOG...

Oh, Canada! I don't know why all blades are x1.5 times more expensive here than in the US (just wondering, is it in Canada only, or in other countries as well? maybe it's not that blades are expensive in Canada, maybe they are simply cheap in the US? 🤔 ). Anyways, there are a few Cold Steel hawks available in that budget, some Estwing, some SOG...

I'm generally not a fan of SOG bit the estwing have a decent reputation for being quite hard to break, but heavy, and the cold steel are decent and inexpensive, not great and not bad.

I'm in no way into hawks for tactical uses so not much help beyond general opinions. All if my small axes and hawks are for woods bummin' or around the home and campsite. I have a CS war hawk but that's as a part of my vehicle's oh-shit-kit so the spike is more for breaking windows and doors, prying, pick axe, etc., not tactical uses.

Back