"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Very nice :thumbup: Great to see you posting pics of some of your wonderful collection at last! ;) :thumbup:

Brad, thank you. "spring knife" is a more accurate and descriptive term than is "slip-joint", but i guess it would be an uphill battle to get people to revert back to "spring knife".
kj

Brad, thank you. "spring knife" is a more accurate and descriptive term than is "slip-joint", but i guess it would be an uphill battle to get people to revert back to "spring knife".
kj

Probably a big uphill battle. Lol. To me "spring" sounds like an automatic knife or a ballistic knife that throws the blade.

Blues never could get members to stop calling a "Bullhead" a "Moose" pattern. I never could get members to say "re-bevel an edge" instead of "re-profile an edge".

Ah well, I hardly notice any more, and at least we got from scales to covers/handles. :D:thumbup:

"at least we got from scales to covers/handles"
Yes ! to a trained cutler "scales" refer to the liners, not the handle (or cover) material.
Some people may think "so what" but as BF is in part a reference site for information about knives, we should be using the correct words for knives and knife parts.
kj

Yes ! to a trained cutler "scales" refer to the liners, not the handle (or cover) material.
Some people may think "so what" but as BF is in part a reference site for information about knives, we should be using the correct words for knives and knife parts.
kj

KJ, as my focus has become more and more on the older knives of Sheffield I have tried to force myself to use their terminology; covers vs. handles, nails vs. pins, spring knife vs. slip joint etc. Even with effort it is still difficult to change ones own terms let alone others. Even in some books you see authors flip around.

IMG_1934.jpg

Seems like both are right! Both originate from 1834 according to this early c 20th edn of The Shorter Oxford Dictionary. Covers may be a dialect word used by workmen, never fancied it myself as it sounds like you are concealing stuff. :D Scales me.

Without a doubt, those Sheffield artisans of the era knew how to attach the one to the other and produce a knife of great beauty.

Regards, Will

Thanks all. Shown is an A.J. Jordan Sheffield two blade jack hafted in dark horn. While A.J. Jordan was an American company, they did have their own factory in Sheffield, England, which produced high grade knives. A good history can be gained on them through Tweedale's book.

kj

Joe,I did not know this....I have been calling the handles(covers)scales sometimes.....
It was just whicever of the 3 I could think of at the moment,but Im now versed at least on one subject
I was messing up.....

((Yes ! to a trained cutler "scales" refer to the liners, not the handle (or cover) material.))

Here is my special Jordan gunstock whittler lobster AKA Orange Blossom. A triple A Jordan is hard to find.
Charles

lambjordan1.jpg

lambjordan2.jpg

Here's an old cutlery handled clip point Bowie, ricasso marked EDWARD BARNES & SON 12 inch overall, German silver hollow handle, matching thin oval crossguard, 7 inch blade etched For The Gold Searchers Protection. Original leather sheath with a gold embossed design, german silver mounts. Guess the knife was made C 1850s ? (California gold mining trade).

003-4.jpg

010-1-1.jpg

Thanks for looking...Mick

One of the most beautiful knives I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing. I want one. :thumbup:

Back