"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Beauties Primble!! That stag is killer on the pruner and that threaded bolster is sweet... and one great looking farrier knife...

Thank you and some great examples from you. :thumbup::)

Thought I could slip this pair in while the thread is refreshed:
Primble Good that you did slip them in and thanks for that ... they are both most handsome.

Thank you Adee ! :)

Thought I could slip this pair in while the thread is refreshed:
71lh0o.jpg

Beautiful knives Primble your pruner is similar to the one second from the top in this early 1900s catalogue page.

144-1_zpstrodu7gf.jpg

Steve answered your question in the Thomas Turner catalog page. The top knife listed shows the peach pruner designed blade,sleeker and less radical hawkbill.(Holley ,slim ).These blades seem to be how the earlier farmers jacks were bladed.

You're welcome Primble

A little MOP scaled knife made by R (Richard) Groves & Sons Limited. Limited dates it to circa 1902-1911. In nice condition showing little use.

DSC_1914%203_zpsl3tzncu4.jpg

DSC_1915%202_zpsims8wkdg.jpg

DSC_1919%203_zpsyj8nefrm.jpg

Hello All! Spectacular knives everyone.

I was lucky enough to pick up this fruit knife at an antique store this morning.

It is 3.5 inches in length. The hallmarks indicate it .925 Sterling manufactured by Thomas Marples of Sheffield in 1900.

It has very nice mother of pearl and an engraved blade.

HzuBUWDl.jpg

Ken K.

Time to kick this wonderful thread of Sheffield eye-candy back to the top.....

Here's an old VcrownR ivory quill with coping blade... carved ivory and brass liners... Made sometime based on VcrownR offset stamp between 1837-1901 is my guess - I can not determine the maker under the VcrownR - any guesses or info appreciated.... knife is 3" closed... Unfortunately there is a crack on mark side on pivot end and a small chip missing on pile side... but overall in good shape with good cracking opening and closing snap - no wobble!!

Thanks for looking..
Lee

Last edited:
Here is an old whittler ca. 1890 Dickinson EM with screw head logo. I have posted it in the vintage thread and the whittler thread :) but I think it belongs here as well

BZ4Ge-BwU7_qumICuOWfmEkryZvRb9WjRBb6-TOteN8TMVuNY5M3tJxrICNZ0LFW74Kt3Y5iLGWGdwR4go0lSyD1Rs4iwu6CCTSYc6bTaY3vxXa6NMeWnvSg2QW9L5Mj_G5FxgZk00cWvmFnyfL4vxnvq-qkTuIjsTGG0eQaA9boLsHjfaN2sRfyCXh-nsFRgD1inGOvLl0IT9qN2Qgs1gSl0axKc-FV___L9n_piYRbQqYas96Mj5CiE7eTpBFTK64bIMX9Jdtndx7mtPPuj6pgr075b38Ez22_hdMXI2R3ATxWSD1if4fnCRKCaV0cJlh2l89T7bwNGnF2OdscB-9JbjyXl1zEtW-J22lGAb9p7nO7jkyNRQNanFkeAWheDQSt445LSEbJxHXQRvKBkdm8lHaTXWamvBfb986GiEzc83i9AqjfSPshnLm5EbmHpCT5VmmYoNXgaDoAOIyj51eao_DgVci-ikQmnd52ywtgqdmURAdaENPg91McxNyXKQaYd4QywbrEVg4-8a2Ek7ULtlNTKni1AsZ03j4cXoel1JgFNBN2410Ozhu6R7ObM6GBJw=w675-h899-no

Mike

Another one, but I am not sure if it belongs to the golden age, is there a way to date Taylor's Eye Witness?

S2-9I9yiObR-LqTcuvcynFh1jNTGxlrQFnupQT0zgRWTa7meub2AMVXAptz6VnpIYfzG4pardW8CwR4SUU5BzfL_u-0mGUZpWGqmco_3cUqlj_SpZrMDsjAeKSv4xQUCd1vB8B58wHESYbNWKd7a7_jVZIzkJAzCdvkbfJ0_kSgk5-St0-GWiwB5Prbz11N9LjO93VRhXbV76p5iL5SiONcPgittCTr3h3y_vdvfPefzBcj640u9owEq_axY0UimJRbTLjLR3CeAnEUzp4mu53kpj8IYIjitFaZ61SzQqpkniFTHrLwFnNz6kDPiOQ2AQyAnJnCpPLgR8oET9ae5ubWSGD8Tr_Zl0Y7Q5tXSvfDHeT48qbhBqNBBTK72XxUwZI_9PJdxCWL4O3rzm_yjy0cmkzhhbrHPg3_bmnLbD9SxaSB6mPDxj1Cup9vokPDx_MADWaeGfNH5Tq-fGoKXwG-EvQa2U3mz2uVNZ8U6TIc_AJ1YZfslvkNwLztcuAzEmL_MlSH7-ywXe7SfSMfITsikLIEOKYDGpkDOplKiBVXeL-1c8IGs2JmI17Pu1N7g9OYJ-Q=w1199-h899-no

Mike

Probably my favorite Sheffield knife in my collection, a Joseph Rodgers and Sons with Ebony covers and flawless fit and action.

Lee, that looks like an old one... earlier Victorian rather than later IMO. I can't make out the stamp. What is your best guess? If we have the start or the finish of the name we may be able to fill in the rest. Does it say Sheffield on the back of the tang? Thanks

Lee, that looks like an old one... earlier Victorian rather than later IMO. I can't make out the stamp. What is your best guess? If we have the start or the finish of the name we may be able to fill in the rest. Does it say Sheffield on the back of the tang? Thanks

Nice knives all!!

Thanks :thumbup: S-K !!! and I appreciate the help with the maker and insight as to other info… Best I thought was also earlier than later in that time period… thanks!!

I did the best with my photo above of the stamp and enlarging it doesn’t help even when shot under macro (but will try again but not expecting much better)… However with a powerful eye loop using all different lighting this is all I can see as a few letters are pretty worn (3 lines as I describe below) and there is not any Sheffield stamp on either mark or pile side of tang as you asked.. :

v-CROWN_R (offset)
R R ? (NOTE - the first R is questionable and my second guess would be it is a P but no doubt second letter is R and than maybe a forth letter but not at all evidence of it due to wear so not sure...
W E I ? (at least one more letter - maybe 2 - again no real legible evidence for any more after those 3) OR W L L OR W I L

I know this is confusing - but best way right now for me to try and convey the stamp....

Any possible info , even guesses or more questions much appreciated!!!

Lee

Last edited:
Back