Natrix vs matrix the 0777 quagmire

It also occurs to me that perhaps someone should shoot the famously litigious Disney legal department an email and point out that Microtech has used Star Wars, Jedi, Incredible Hulk, etc. to promote their knives. Maybe they have a contract to use those registered trademarks, or maybe it would fall under fair use, but I bet Disney would be really interested in that.

It also occurs to me that perhaps someone should shoot the famously litigious Disney legal department an email and point out that Microtech has used Star Wars, Jedi, Incredible Hulk, etc. to promote their knives. Maybe they have a contract to use those registered trademarks, or maybe it would fall under fair use, but I bet Disney would be really interested in that.
To my knowledge they use slightly altered logos to avoid copyright infringement, while also using names that while descriptive in context are not copyrighted. For instance "Bounty Hunter" and "Storm Trooper" while those are both specific in context to the brand and the design of the knife they are not copyrighted terms like "Bobba Fett"

Very shady in my opinion.

Knife news covered more in depth of the story http://knifenews.com/microtech-and-marfione-also-suing-kai-and-social-media-manager/

Yesterday, KnifeNews obtained Pennsylvania court documents that show Anthony Marfione and Microtech are suing KAI U.S.A., Ltd. and Kale Beyer, KAI’s Social Media Manager. The suit includes allegations that KAI and Beyer defamed Marfione and Microtech by sharing Everyday Commentary’s blog post “The Story Behind the Greatest Knife of All Time.” Earlier this week, we learned that Marfione and Microtech filed a similar lawsuit against blogger Anthony Sculimbrene of Everyday Commentary for publishing the post in the first place.

The complaint against KAI and Beyer points out that on January 23rd KAI shared “The Story Behind the Greatest Knife of All Time” on Zero Tolerance and the Kershaw social media channels, an act which it cites as examples of republishing defamatory material against Marfione and Microtech. On January 23rd, Beyer also posted Sculimbrene’s article on his personal Instagram account.

According to the complaint, “Beyer intended to benefit KAI and himself economically by the republication” and “intended and expected to harm Marfione and Microtech by the republication.” It continues, claiming that “Beyer expressly and wrongfully stated that the Sculimbrene article contained ‘the whole backstory’ ” and that he “uttered, published, and distributed defamatory statements as to Marfione.”

Microtech states that it “has and will experience financial loss as a result of Beyer’s false statements.” The claim also asserts that Beyer’s posts were “done with the apparent authority and approval of KAI,” and thus “KAI is vicariously liable for the conduct of Beyer.”

On April the 4th, KAI filed a Motion to Dismiss the lawsuit, arguing that sharing a post via social media does not qualify as “republishing,” and that there is no presence of malice on behalf of KAI. Beyer filed a similar motion but added Lack of Personal Jurisdiction as rationale for dismissing the case.

The Pennsylvania case is moving to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) phase. ADR is a mandatory process that requires parties to try to settle civil disputes. KAI and Marfione are scheduled to meet on May 9th with an independent mediator. If the parties aren’t able to reach an agreement within 60 days the case may proceed to trial.

KnifeNews also obtained more documents concerning the lawsuit against blogger Anthony Sculimbrene. Marfione and Sculimbrene will meet today as part of their court ordered ADR mediation conference.

To my knowledge they use slightly altered logos to avoid copyright infringement, while also using names that while descriptive in context are not copyrighted. For instance "Bounty Hunter" and "Storm Trooper" while those are both specific in context to the brand and the design of the knife they are not copyrighted terms like "Bobba Fett"

They've used a number of terms even more explicitly. Here's their 'Jedi Knight Ultratech with light saber inspired handle'
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Ultratech-Jedi-Knight-OTF--35745

And here's an Incredible Hulk Tachyon III.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MT...lade-and-aluminum-handles-with-purple-accents

Reactions: Mo2

Disney owns all of that now and they've demonstrated more than once that they have more money than sense. Disney was even talking about suing cosplayers at comicons who dress up as Disney/Marvel/Star Wars characters without buying officially licensed costumes. Disney and Marfione deserve each other.

So are the Microtechies trying to out-Strider Strider with their very public meltdown?

Absolutely ridiculous behavior on Marfione's part. I was ready to buy my first OTF, and now it looks like it'll be a Benchmade Infidel. I won't support behavior like this with my patronage, I wouldn't want money I paid for a knife to be put toward a frivolous lawsuit against a reviewer I respect. Scratch Microtech off my list for good now. Ironically, the Matrix issue was a mark against them, but it wasn't until they reacted like this that I stopped considering their products.

IIRC, "republishing" defamatory material can be considered "publishing. Kai had to raise that defense, but it may be a weak one.

What is even sadder is that Marfione and his wife are trolling the knifenews article links on Facebook in groups they have access to.

Reactions: Mo2
that's what they do. as you see in the first post. his response to the natrix is and I quote, "blow me". they take what they want and do what they want. that's the life style they show us. conceded

This is all very intriguing to watch, not being a fan of any of the involved parties. I'm interested to see how far down this rabbit hole Microtech is willing to go. There's a fellow on that KnifeNews Facebook thread calling himself Darrick Nok Allen. Does that gentleman actually work at Microtech like he claims? For the life of me I can't imagine a public persona that would hurt a business more than him. He's going on social media to threaten to beat up anybody that says anything bad about his employer. How does anybody think that that's going to turn out well for the company? I have to agree with SpySmasher. I'm both appalled and thoroughly impressed.

Back