new chopper

was looking at getting a new larger knife for heavy work
I have a bk9 already
and a HI 12 inch CAK
both are awesome
I;d like something patterned after a trad style work knife
like a machete golok or larger Khuk
any suggestions?

I sure would like one of the Valiant survival goloks myself. The price isn't too bad and they seem really heavy duty.

lol...... how bout this bud?:p

IMG_0058-1.jpg

Nice one Rick!

What is a "work knife" in this context.

This Culberson Bolok has a 12" blade of 5160, and is 13/64" thick. Holds a great edge! Much longer and you got a short sword!
100_0957.jpg

Do you have a budget on this? The Condor Golok is nice, as are the other Condors.

If there is no budget, why not ask around for a custom of some sort?

If your budget is around $15, you can get that ugly orange bolo in the back of the picture. It's a Marbles 14"er.

A little edge and handle work, and you've got yourself a pretty powerful chopper.

Mixedstuff029.jpg

The sharpened back edge scared me so I filed it blunt.

i just ordered the cold steel khukri and now i'm eyeing the new condor parang.

Have you seen the JK Hudson bay? I have a 9" camp, but its not too much of a chopper. Condor golok is great, but so is a 14 inch tram.

There are somebeautiful knives there guys... Rick now that is sweet.
I also keep drooling over your parang.
(hard to say that without sounding gay though)

was looking at getting a new larger knife for heavy work
I have a bk9 already
and a HI
12 inch CAK
both are awesome
I;d like something patterned after a trad style work knife
like a machete golok or larger Khuk
any suggestions?

When you have one of those who needs a knife?:cool::thumbup:

RR-- The Condor Golok is an awesome all-around woods knife. I love mine and take it everywhere on my Maxpedition Kodiak. It does a great job of chopping, a decent job of slashing thin vegetation from the trail (with the right edge and wrist action), and an all around good job of stripping, notching, batoning, etc. It's got the right length but it is not heavy. And it's very inexpensive, of course. You can pick one up with the good leather sheath for around $50.

I've seen on other threads where the TOPS Power Eagle is quite a chopper. And I've always been a fan of that Chris Caine survival parang.

The custom knives on here look awesome! Good job!

RR-- The Condor Golok is an awesome all-around woods knife. I love mine and take it everywhere on my Maxpedition Kodiak. It does a great job of chopping, a decent job of slashing thin vegetation from the trail (with the right edge and wrist action), and an all around good job of stripping, notching, batoning, etc. It's got the right length but it is not heavy. And it's very inexpensive, of course. You can pick one up with the good leather sheath for around $50.

Less than. ;)

I really like the new full tang ones too; not just for the extra tang strength (it was plenty strong already) but also the better fit/finish and aesthetics. The factory edges are more uniform from the factory now, too.

I swear, one of these days I'll own something of Rick's. No one does it quite the same! :cool::thumbup:

Back