New Drop Forged Knives

The Drop Forged Survivalist, Bowie and Boot Knife are finally available. Does anybody have any of these knives yet? If so what are your thoughts and impressions so far?

I'm guessing they are heavy and the handle likely transmits some uncomfortable vibrations.

oh, and I'm pretty sure they cut things.

I have the Survivalist on order. Should have it next week. I will post some pics, etc. when it gets here. :thumbsup:

got the survivalist and bowie on order already. should be here next couple of days. will follow up when i have them in hand and put them to some work.

But it does not look comfortable for prolonged work or more intense work like chopping

I haven't used an "integral" knife like this before, but I don't think there should be much difference in comfort compared to any other hard handled full tang knife (wood, Micarta, G10, etc. scales). The only thing that concerns me somewhat is the possibility of slipperiness. If that turns out to be the case, I'll probably stick some GT-5000 strips on the handle and see how that works. :thumbsup:

I haven't used an "integral" knife like this before, but I don't think there should be much difference in comfort compared to any other hard handled full tang knife (wood, Micarta, G10, etc. scales). The only thing that concerns me somewhat is the possibility of slipperiness. If that turns out to be the case, I'll probably stick some GT-5000 strips on the handle and see how that works. :thumbsup:

The handle doesn't look very thick and ergonomic... but it's better to try it out

ive used one piece hollow handle knives for decades now. didnt find any of them lacking much compared to scales of wood, but ill use my drop forged when they get here and give feedback.

:) I don't own any of these , but I think they have possibilities to be very strong - i.e. no parts to break . I'd probably wrap the handle with at least silicone self fusing tape - to improve grip and provide some shock and thermal insulation . I do this with my all steel , one piece throwing knives to good effect . :cool:

I was asking people who actually have the knives, not somebody who's simply guessing about them. And by the way, if you're competing for the douche bag of the year award, you have my vote!!!!
:eek: This attitude will not garner respect or useful responses :confused:. You don't get to monitor what members post just because you start a thread . But you go right ahead if you like and see where it gets you !o_O

I like it because you have the option to add anything to it or nothing. I usually wear gloves if I am going to be using a tool a lot, so no covering might be best. Awaiting review(s) before making the leap. Sure does look interesting though and would be my first without a handle(on purpose anyway).

I just saw these and am interested in checking them out. They are reasonably enough priced that adding scales still keeps them economical given the material and construction, depending on how well their 52100 performs. Not putting a couple holes through the handle to facilitate a paracord wrap or home scale installation is a mistake though.

Just received my Survivalist a few days ago.

Flat ground blade, hair shaving sharp out of the box, grind lines all even. Knife is coated with some kind of hard protective material to protect the 52100 from rust.

Handle is fine, but I will be wrapping it with tape or cord for grip. The handle itself lends itself to some grip in that the outer handle is wider than the inner handle.
I replaced the sheath with a Spec Ops brand sheath I had- neither are ideal, so I plan on either making or buying a leather sheath for this knife.

This is a very nice knife and one you won't be afraid to use.

These knives have a baked on laquer finish. How does the handle feel, is it slippery? Does it fill the hand? The trough in the center is supposed to allow your fingers to help secure your grip on the handle, is it comfortable?
Weighs 18 ounces. How is the balance, blade heavy or neutral?

Last edited:
Back