New Puget Sound patterns

This is one of my only pics of my one and only Puget Sound, a Sager Chemical.

P1070104.JPG

Cool thread. Seeing those old pictures of lumberjacks cutting some of the world's oldest and most glorious trees is both fascinating and saddening. I'm sure glad that there are a few left, but I wish there were more.

if you can find these titles you might enjoy reading about the old logging days.
lots of photos of the old days and good stories.

"This Was Logging"..."Timber"..."Glory Days of Logging" , all by Ralph W. Andrews
SCHIFFER books.

also "Woodsmen of the West" by Martin Allerdale Grainger, an authentic account of logging on the north coast of British Columbia in 1907.

buzz

Ok so I have a few more than a couple as Steve pointed out.

Here is another pic from today of them - all Sager Chemicals from 1915 to 1950 - not quite a full set but Im working on it.

SAM_1054.jpg

Then here is a couple other ones I have - not sure if I have posted these before - the Sager will look familiar for sure -

SAM_1055.jpg

In this pic from top L is a Sager Chemical 1941, middle low is a Zenith Marshall Wells, top R is the Sager, and bottom R is a Mann Knot Klipper.

Closer upper -

SAM_1058.jpg

Next photo of the handle of the Zenith - you guys know why the handle is that way, right?

SAM_1057.jpg

Pugets are interesting for sure, first heavily provided by the Douglas Ax Manufacturing Co, East Douglas Mass, 1868. Anywhere from 3.5 to 6 lbs, and eventually made in countless stampings.

Used as an underbuck brace????

Ive never had to underbuck in the woods using an axe handle, but ive come close and I would have had to without another sawyer present. Cutting wood with crosscut really makes you think about bind and stuff working with trees. A lot of times we are just working with axe and saw so I either have to carve wedges or cut poles to lever logs up and shim underneath. its really a lot of fun, albeit tiring.

Ive never had to underbuck in the woods using an axe handle, but ive come close and I would have had to without another sawyer present. Cutting wood with crosscut really makes you think about bind and stuff working with trees. A lot of times we are just working with axe and saw so I either have to carve wedges or cut poles to lever logs up and shim underneath. its really a lot of fun, albeit tiring.

Sounds like fun to me as well. The USFS video "The Crosscut Sawyer" is a great watch for anyone who hasn't checked it out already. I think it does a great job of explaining the forces that cause bind and other issues.

SO.....who's going to be the first to post a bunch of photos and/or video of a felling with a Puget Sound axe????? There's a 3.5lb Kelly Perfect double bit or a yet to be named vintage boy's axe for the first person to post it up!! (Must be your own work and must be done after this post.) Just for fun!!!!!:thumbup:

Right on, Matt!
waytogo.gif

That's a great challenge. I need to go get one of these sharpened and hung.

Steve is the axe historian guru, there is no doubt! Nicely done!

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm no historian (used to hate the subject in school). When I'm interested in something, though, I'll do some online searching and share the results. Never looked into the history of Puget Sound axes before this thread.

Sounds like fun to me as well. The USFS video "The Crosscut Sawyer" is a great watch for anyone who hasn't checked it out already. I think it does a great job of explaining the forces that cause bind and other issues.

SO.....who's going to be the first to post a bunch of photos and/or video of a felling with a Puget Sound axe????? There's a 3.5lb Kelly Perfect double bit or a yet to be named vintage boy's axe for the first person to post it up!! (Must be your own work and must be done after this post.) Just for fun!!!!!:thumbup:

How big of a tree? Wish I had a handle for this thing

love those picture Steve Tall.
thanks for posting

i have a stump house postcard. you can probably find an image of it somewhere on the web. i'll see if i can locate it,and send an image to someone who can post it on the forum.

buzz

Hope you don't mind that I threw that in your thread, Mike!!!??

Uuuuhhhh....looking back I realized that this is Peg's thread. Sorry about that Pegs. I hope YOU don't mind the challenge I threw into your thread!!

Pegs, are you going to post pics of the other two Puget Sound's after clean up?

Anyone close to felling a tree with a PS???

Uuuuhhhh....looking back I realized that this is Peg's thread. Sorry about that Pegs. I hope YOU don't mind the challenge I threw into your thread!!

Anyone close to felling a tree with a PS???

Neither of mine have hafts yet.
I have them, but haven't 'hung' them yet.
Yes, I am and should be ashamed :)

They're not fully cleaned up yet but here's a few pics. The axe on the left has no maker's mark. The one on the right is the Sager.

PS_Axes_1.jpg

The handles are badly warped and need to be replaced.

PS_Axes_2.jpg

Here's an image of the stamp on the Sager.

Sager_stamp.jpg

It also has a CCC stamp and some other illegible characters above the CCC stamp. I like the CCC stamp. It gives this axe some history.

CCC_stamp.jpg

The flip side of the axes shows some pretty bad pitting on the Sager. I don't think it will effect the use of the axe but it detracts from the appearance.

PS_Axes_3.jpg

The profiles of these look pretty good. They don't appear to have been ground down excessively. The pitting on the Sager is evident in this picture.

PS_Axes_4.jpg

The no name axe has no markings except for a number '4', undoubtedly it's weight.

PS_Axes_5.jpg

Back