New Umnumzaan Without Lockbar Stop - Where To Get?

To me (I own Regulars and a new Umnu, and previously had an early Umnu), the lockbar tension (if that's right right word) is greater/heavier on the Umnu than on a Sebenza (Regular, Classic or 21), and that is a factor, too - assuming I'm right that it is actually heavier rather than just appears to be heavier due to the differences in access to the lockbar...

I use the meat of my thumb pad and place the lockbar tab in the center of the thumb pad then press down and out and it works very well one handed that way but the tension is tight on the Umnumzaan for sure. Some more than others and I have had three

And for those who can't seem to open the Zaan easily by pushing the stud forward toward the front of the knife, you can use a little trick by placing your thumb on the stud and wrapping your index finger around to the front and leverage the glass breaker with your index finger to start the opening while pushing forward with your thumb at the same time you press down on the ice breaker. The detent breaks quite eaily that way but it feels like your hand is choking up n the handle a little when you do it this way. But it works well.

Finally scored one!!! Thanks to RedMex73, I have a Zaan on the way to me BNIB in S30V with a birth date of September 2011 - and NO LBS! :thumbup::D:thumbup:

Thanks Spencer! :)

To me, that's the best Umnumzaan made - good score ;)

Finally scored one!!! Thanks to RedMex73, I have a Zaan on the way to me BNIB in S30V with a birth date of September 2011 - and NO LBS! :thumbup::D:thumbup:

Congrats! Man, Guess I'm keeping two then.....That's cool.

Dunno if this was already mentioned but I'd imagine that the ceramic ball feature on the Um is affected more by over extending the Um lockbar than if you over extend a Seb bar. I had both a tanto and reg Um awhile back and dumbly sold them off. They both were the smoothest opening and unlocking knives I've owned. I have never understood the problems some owners have. Anyway I will probably pick up a new Um after I get my mitts on a 561 and the new wears off of it.

Dunno if this was already mentioned but I'd imagine that the ceramic ball feature on the Um is affected more by over extending the Um lockbar than if you over extend a Seb bar. I had both a tanto and reg Um awhile back and dumbly sold them off. They both were the smoothest opening and unlocking knives I've owned. I have never understood the problems some owners have. Anyway I will probably pick up a new Um after I get my mitts on a 561 and the new wears off of it.
That may very well be true. My guess is though, that Chris Reeve needed to put something in place due to the number of zaans this was happening to because of the difficulty of disengaging the lock as compared to the Sebenza which is easy and works like most other framelocks.

BTW - I'm very jealous of you getting the 561...I'm wanting one of those in a bad way....

Back