Next Project... a take down.

Still very rough but you can begin to see what it is becoming.

DSCN7080.JPG

:DMan...acouple of eye socket holes and a little work on the nose and viola a bird skull:D

Looking good Greg,neat project.
Stan

I like where it's going Greg. What are using for the carving work?

You and Patrice's threads always make me want to try doing a take down or at least something with a guard.

I like where it's going Greg. What are using for the carving work?

You and Patrice's threads always make me want to try doing a take down or at least something with a guard.

I'm using needle files, most of which come from Harbor freight. More specifically, I'm using the needle files with sharp edges (triangluar, knife and half-round). The trick is to cut a groove by using the files sharp edge, and over the course of time, roll the file so that the flat part creates an angled surface from the deepest part of the groove you just cut up to the edge of the next layer. You end up with something that looks like a sawtooth edge from the side, but from the top it looks like several layers of a layer cake stacked on top of one another. If I actually tried to make a layered thing, the base layer would be too thin.

JG, you should have known, Greg uses files for EVERYTHING! I heard he built his house with them. ;)

Carving's coming along great there.

The last few days have been about refining the D-guard. Most of the time was spent hand sanding the inside curve of the guard to remove the nicks, dings, wrinkles and kinks. There's still a lot of sanding to do, but I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I still have a little work to do on the front side carving too, as you can see. The top picture wast taken last night before the inside curve sanding, the bottom picture taken today showing that progress. So far using 120 grit cloth rolls for the inside curve sanding.

DSCN7100.JPG

DSCN7102.JPG

A fair amount of time today was spent hand sanding the D-guard. The only thing you'd notice is that all the black surface is gone, so I won't bother posting pictures today. I also sanded the top of the handle to remove two divots.

Yesterday and today I spent several hours doing nothing much besides hand sanding the blade and the D-guard and attempting to make a G10 pommel. The pommel effort ended in complete failure as the piece split in two as I tried to press fit a carriage bolt into a countersunk hole. I'm rethinking the pommel now, and am not sure how that will end. In the meantime, hand sanding is the order of the day. I got the blade and the D-guard sanded down to 280 grit (thanks, Nick Wheeler, for the recommendation of Indasa Rhynowet paper). The toughest and most time consuming part is the inside curves. I'll definitely remember this before attempting another piece with so much of the surface being inside curves.

Anyway, with progress occurring at this pace I may actually be able to finish this up in May... OF THIS YEAR!!! Fingers crossed.

I know it seems like this is taking forever... I feel the same. There's just been a TON of hand sanding to do. The last couple of days I spent time sanding the blade up to 800 grit. Today I've been working on the guard, especially around the edges, to get a smooth consistent surface. As you can see from the attached images there is still some work to do in that regard.

With the loss of the G10 pommel, I'm considering now creating a mild steel version instead. That, obviously, adds some time to the project, and frankly, I'm starting to feel the internal pressure to get this one wrapped up. That's never a good thing when there's a fair amount of work to be done, so I'm considering doing the pommel later... after I finish the mini-Musso... when I can focus more time and attention on it.

DSCN6148.JPG

DSCN6149.JPG

I finished sanding the blade and the guard today, then etched my mark and sharpened the blade. I think this is where I'll stop until I decide what to do about the pommel. If I can't decide anything, I'll. just go with a carriage bolt and call it good.

DSCN7118.JPG

DSCN7119.JPG

DSCN7122.JPG

DSCN7123.JPG

DSCN7124.JPG

Back