Noob in distress

Oh man I wouldn't suggest dropping that kind of dough on a first knife.. I thought I was in love with a zt0909 after getting it and using it it's not my cup of tea.... now I think I'd fancy a bench made. Light and thinner blade. Just overall usability... if you want to try a flipper I'll make you a great deal :)

Thank you for the great information. I will be using the knife mainly as an everyday utility knife. Not so much as a defensive weapon as I carry and I am former Law Enforcemtent of 15 years.

All of you have given me such great information. I purchased Some cheaper Kershaw knives of various sizes that are flippers. I felt this would be a lower quality insight into the zero tolerance knives. I also picked up a sharpening system to practice sharpening as well. I agree with most of you that starting out small and becoming educated is the way to go. You all have been a Great help!!!

All of you have given me such great information. I purchased Some cheaper Kershaw knives of various sizes that are flippers. I felt this would be a lower quality insight into the zero tolerance knives. I also picked up a sharpening system to practice sharpening as well. I agree with most of you that starting out small and becoming educated is the way to go. You all have been a Great help!!!

Nothing wrong with a Kershaw at all. I've EDC'ed various ones for years, and still do on occasion. For as little as $60 or so, you can get a US made knife that will hold up to most people's daily needs. And even their offshore made knives are well made and have good QC - especially for the price point.

If you don't mind assisted opening (which Kershaw pushes hard these days), give a good hard look at the Knockout (will be my next $100-ish knife), as it seems to tick all your boxes.

Even though it's not a big, hard-use knife, I'd also seriously recommend a Leek of some variety. It's almost a must have in the Kershaw line. Slim profile. 3" blade. And a great little flipper to boot. Makes a great EDC when you need something small, light, and inconspicuous. Just something to think about, if you haven't already ordered a bunch of Kershaws.

Excellent choice Josh!! Just excellent!!
Nothing at all wrong with Kershaw!! Just stay away from their autos. Garbage.
Someone above mentioned the Knockout......great flipper with an awesome blade profile!! Got my son the OD green with black blade and it's a winner!!
Enjoy them........but do not forget that ZT 452CF brother!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Joe

Excellent choice Josh!! Just excellent!!
Nothing at all wrong with Kershaw!! [...] Enjoy them........but do not forget that ZT 452CF brother!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Joe

I second this, ESPECIALLY the 0452CF! The action on that knife is super silky smooth for me (besides the fairly strong detent).

Welcome to BF!
I agree with the members pointing you to trying some options before dropping $500 on a single blade.
You need to get a feel for what works for you, from the steel and it's geometry, to it's edge holding and difficulty sharpening.
You'll also want a less expensive blade to learn to sharpen on. You DO NOT want to learn on a super steel $500 folder!

Look at Kershaw, ZT, Spyderco, Boker, Cold Steel, and Benchmade. Try and touch a few handle materials and shapes at a gun show or brick and mortar shop. Most carry some reasonably priced models from these brands. Yes you'll pay more at a store, but your paying to handle the blade first and walk out with it.

Once you have a feel for what you like, then move on to more expensive exotic blades.

Good luck with your first blades!

Those Kershaw Chive/Leek/Scallion/Shallot/Onions are pretty nice. There's folks who make it a mission to collect all the versions. And if you want a bit nicer version of the same idea check out the Blur.

I EDCd a leek for 3 years straight and it performed flawlessly. Stepped up to a blur. It was great too. From there my addiction took off. Went all over the place and has really settled on a Spyderco Military. Its everything I want in an EDC. Gonna have to be epic knife to bump it from my pocket

I carries Gerbers, Leathermans, and Bucks, until I got a Griptillian that was sorta underwhelming.

It wasn't until I got a Blur though that my addiction really took off either...

Makes me really wonder about the Dash???
I EDCd a leek for 3 years straight and it performed flawlessly. Stepped up to a blur. It was great too. From there my addiction took off. Went all over the place and has really settled on a Spyderco Military. Its everything I want in an EDC. Gonna have to be epic knife to bump it from my pocket

Back