Off center?

no it's certainly not going to rub anything in the open position,
I'm referring to how well it will cut in the open position with a bent blade or non-aligned blade.
The point of reference to use is the spine of the handle and sighting down the handle or with the lade pointed at you
You're confusing my point. Practically speaking you're right, but this isn't a practical concern; it's an aesthetic one.

Most modern knives are far more capable than necessary anyway. They get fondled, flipped and admired more often than they actually cut things. So people are more concerned about whether it looks like a quality piece than any slight hindrance on performance.

A bent blade would be moot in this instance as it's likely going to be off center in both positions.

Don't get me wrong, we certainly want it centered in the open position too, but you're a lot less likely to notice a slight alignment issue when open then you are when closed.

You're confusing my point. Practically speaking you're right, but this isn't a practical concern; it's an aesthetic one.

Most modern knives are far more capable than necessary anyway. They get fondled, flipped and admired more often than they actually cut things. So people are more concerned about whether it looks like a quality piece than any slight hindrance on performance.

A bent blade would be moot in this instance as it's likely going to be off center in both positions.

Don't get me wrong, we certainly want it centered in the open position too, but you're a lot less likely to notice a slight alignment issue when open then you are when closed.

i'm with you :)

:)

i see alot of this blade centering concern.
I'm curious, isn't the blade being centered more important in the open position?
I never see that looked at. As a maker, I look for both.
But I would choose/favor the importance of the blade being inline with the handle vs what it looks like in the closed position.

regards

Im more concerned when its closed. If its properly centered closed it should still be centered when open. But even if its dead on when open most cutting tasks are going to have the blade lean to one side or the other. Even with bearings their is going to be flex in various directions.

I can find knives that are $20 bucks that are centered. If a manufacturer can't make a centered blade then why pay the extra bucks?

It is especially bad with knives above $150.....and even $400.-$600. range. I just stay away from manufacturers (and custom makers) that have so little care they can't even center a blade. All they have to do is LOOK at it and open and close it a few times to make sure it stays centered.

I wouldn't think so actually. The blade isn't going to rub anything in the open position and since there's no real point of reference, centering issues in the open position aren't as immediately obvious. Whereas a centering issue in the closed position is pretty easily seen.

As for the question about the damascus sheen: I'm not really a damascus guy, but I know they're all acid etched to bring out the pattern. Seems plausible that some variances in finish would exist. It is metal of course, so the finish can always be altered.

Here is a better comparison of two same styles but one looks significantly " whiter " and brighter.

Make any sense to you or anyone? Maybe in person the " brightness " or dull look wouldn't be as drastic? CRK only allows one ( I think they call it " re-etching " ) for the life of the blade. I guess they are afraid anymore would damage the integrity of the steel and these are both brand new un-used blades.

I just like to understand things, appreciate the communities patience.

8A01C3CB-4FFE-4E35-961D-2FF982627651_zpsom8kwvhz.png

Vs

C462A53F-C70A-4AA2-A8B7-DFAE1873938A_zpsnxvr66g7.png

Yes.

If your questioning it being off center it probably is. When I picked up my recent 116610lv it was slightly off and it drives me nuts. Send it back. Ask them to make it right.

The entire knife is off-center in the photo. It's shot from a slight angle to the right looking down left. The right scale is more visible sitting perched to the left. I see more scale right, less scale, less clip top on left.

The picture is off base making observation off base

The entire knife is off-center in the photo. It's shot from a slight angle to the right looking down left. The right scale is more visible sitting perched to the left. I see more scale right, less scale, less clip top on left.

The picture is off base making observation off base

I agree in regard to appearing as it is running on the locking mechanism and it most likely isn't, but the majority here do think at the very least it is a tad bit off center ( not enough to impact the function just a cosmetic issue. )

I chose not to buy it, do you mind taking a stab at my etching question posted above? I just didn't want to start a whole new thread over it. I've bugged the good people of bladeforums enough for one day. :)

If that is a CRK knife that would be considered Wayyyy off center.

Send it in to them to fix.

If that is a CRK knife that would be considered Wayyyy off center.

Send it in to them to fix.

Never bought it just was comparing a few mnandis before I purchased anything. I'm trying to compare a few different damascus styled Mnandi blades currently.

Have any opinion on the Damascus post up above? Thanks for your time.

There definitely can be variances to the damascus aesthetically when it comes to the finished product. The darkness of the lines depends depends on the number of times it washed and I guess some other factors.

Some will turn out with rich dark lines, others not so much and occasionally there'll be some damascus with no lines.

Compare a few of them and pick the one that's pleases your eyes.

I have a feeling you're seeing drastic differences due to different backgrounds and different lighting conditions in the pics.
You can't compare the 2 pics unless both are photographed with the same background and lighting.
Not 100% sure, just using common sense.

I have a feeling you're seeing drastic differences due to different backgrounds and different lighting conditions in the pics.
You can't compare the 2 pics unless both are photographed with the same background and lighting.
Agreed. Just like the centering pictures. OP picture is clearly not straight on. Not much can be gained from such a things.

No, I don't think it is off centered. The pic was taken from the side that the blade appears to be leaning towards. If you tilted it toward the camera to look directly over the knife, I bet the tip would appear closer to the center.

I'm getting the feeling pictures just don't do damascus justice? Agreed? I'm so ready to pull the trigger on the " duller " option because of the inlay but I'm sure it will shine just like any other damascus once I have it in hand.

Otherwise I'm just going to go for a plain inkosi I'm a picky sob

No, I don't think it is off centered. The pic was taken from the side that the blade appears to be leaning towards. If you tilted it toward the camera to look directly over the knife, I bet the tip would appear closer to the center.

The only reason I disagree with this is because I found an exact photo of a Mnandi on the same exact table and it looks centered even from an angle.

12B24253-7AC3-48FE-A176-3CC010C3E86D_zps1ls0tq8j.jpg

I won't bother over it again but I did want to add this. I'm sure they are all perfectly functional knives, I just want to save the dealer and myself any headaches in advance. I've moved along.

Back