• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Olive wood + O1 hunter/utility

Domed pins are very cool and more work to do properly, short story I had picked up a Burt Foster knife, integral Damascus with domed pins, got it from him while at Ashokan, the next day I sent him a thank you email and that I loved the knife, and I said I guess he didn't have time to sand down those pins flush but I took a file and sand paper and now they are all flat...he about had a heart attack lol it was kinda mean, but I knew Burt could take a kidding, I let him off the hook an hour later with a follow up email. He replied WOW...said I got him on that.

But as for this knife of yours, one of 'my' personal pet peeves is that notch or sharpening choil some folks put on their knife, for me that's a deal breaker and I just wouldn't get one as material can snag on that pretty quickly. Preference would be no notch at all, less would be making it at an angle so material rides up and out onto the edge and doesn't get hung up. AGAIN, it's my personal preference and one that just bugs me to no end. I'm sure there are many a person that would argue the opposite and love them, more power to them I say ;)

There, my 2 cents and as far as a sheath goes, you're right, there are plenty of people to make what ever you'd like, as then the knife has even more going for it, you get to order your own custom sheath made in the manner you want, side to wear it on, material of the leather, embellishments, the list goes on and on. I'd say focusing on what you do best, Knife making, is a far better direction than something that would take your time away from that. Hmm guess that's 3 cents worth, sorry!
G2

Rick, once you get the leather on that beauty send us a picture of the final package. Love the looks of that knife.

Nick, I really enjoy seeing (and occasionally buying) the variety of knives that you make - from the ready to finish blades, to the little side pocket knives, to your larger bowies and everything in between. And I'm confident that if I buy anything you make, it comes with all of the skill, purpose of design, and attention to detail you're capable of. I would encourage you to keep it up (including the domed/polished pins) and would consider it a loss for myself and the folks here on BladeForums if you didn't. I think that just about anything you make will sell here. Some areas of the market may be a bit tougher/slower than others. Wow, this does sound way too gooey, but I think it is true. Mike

Notes from the buyer:
I've never owned a knife with domed pins, but sure see Nick's point. May well start to do that on my own work. This point had nothing to do with the buying decision.

From the first look I just enjoyed the overall picture. 01 is a favorite steel for a daily user and I have complete confidence in Nick's ability to do it right and have 60/61Rc. Can't say that about many others in this price range, just don't know.

Price point was very comfortable for me.

Sheath/no sheath made no difference for me on this knife. I would have paid a little more if a sheath had been offered. Nick does some really good leather work, so I would have still bought the knife and enjoyed the extra sheath. I do totally agree that most knives will sell faster when they include leather. That's why I started doing leather work for my own blades. I once heard that a swimming pool may not increase property value, but sure does open up the market to more potential buyers, same in the knife world. It's tough to buy a knife and then ship it out, wait for the sheath to be made and finally get the whole package in hand. At the moment, I have 6 custom knives on the bench for sheaths. I promise a 3-5 day turn just so those guys will have the shortest wait possible. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get time to make a sheath for this one, but at least I get to use it during that time.

'Nuff said, I'm just happy to have been the one that posted the "I'll take it".

Nick,

My .02 from a guy who buys and uses knives. Please don't stop offering this segment of knife. I would have bought it if I wasn't buying Christmas gifts. I would love to own a nick wheeler knife and I prefer this style and price point. Sheath helps in general, but wouldn't stop me from buying. I like the pins too.

Best,

Thank you guys for all the feedback--- I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

Gary, I have a customer that must have learned that evil trick from you... He did the exact same thing to me! LOL He wrote me and said, "The pins weren't quite flush, but nothing a file, sandpaper, and a few hours couldn't fix."

At first my head almost exploded :eek: I was sure glad to find out he was just pulling my leg! LMAO

Rick- Thanks again buddy... You'll have the knife shortly. :)

Haha, well maybe he did...

And as everyone suggested, please keep making things like that, just without the notch ;)
G2

Last edited:
If this knife had been just a tad longer and wider and didn't have the sharpening notch (I agree with Gary, they catch on skin and things and drive me insane, that's why I won't use knives with choils or sharpening notches), I would have bought it from you. I'm a lefty so no sheath is a bonus for me, even though I think you do some amazing leather work Nick. If you get bored and want to put one together, PM me.

Oh and the olive wood scales are a plus. My wife loves olive wood. We have tons of bowls and utensils and such we picked up on trips and time spent living in North Africa.

Nick I sand down the domed pins too....

Sorry, had to. I love your domed pins.
I was surprised that it didn't sell faster. It is a very good value.

Wondering if you haven't been typecast. That awesome little Damascus edc cause quite a stir, but I am super happy with mine.

Man, please dont do that... a lot of us here would love to own one of your knives, and I believe actually PREFER the plainer versions. I myself want one of those mini combat bowies in micarta and I'm really hoping I can swing it next time you post some. So by all means make some $2K bowies for the high rollers, but please keep making the sub-$500 ones so the rest of us can have a shot at one too.

The irony is a good friend of mine has recently been "pushing" for me to move from $1000+ knives to the $2k-3k market. But part of what makes me drag my feet on that, is I genuinely like the idea of a guy buying a knife that has had an optimal heat treat and thin grinds, and using it. :cool:

Thanks fellas! :)

Back