Pens....what is your favorite?

Two new ones as of today...

20150420_203300_RichtoneHDR_zpsucnlcr0r.jpg

2015-04-20%2020.56.25_zpsv9xgqciw.jpg

The Rotring is soon to be inked and a favorite for sure!

-X

I just bought a bottle of Diamine black ink for my Lamy Safari and Kaweco Lilliput pens but am still using the regular ink cartridges so haven't tried it out yet.

I just bought a bottle of Diamine black ink for my Lamy Safari and Kaweco Lilliput pens but am still using the regular ink cartridges so haven't tried it out yet.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It flows well and the color is dark and rich. The only downside I've found is that it is quite a traditional ink that smudges quite easily if you rest your hand on old writing, it doesn't seem to soak into the paper as well as Quink or similar ink.

Not sure if it is my favorite yet, but after seeing so many people doing the Zebra 701/402/Fisher Space Pen mod, I literally just finished doing the mod. Never even wrote w/the stock ink, just set them aside.

I'll be taking it to work tomorrow and I'll be able to get my first real impression of how i like it. Not that I think I'll ever NEED a "tactical" pen, I do think it is pretty cool to have a solid stainless pen, which I could write with in any situation, even if I found myself floating in space.

All pens are tactical
"The pen is mightier than the sword"

Asking for a favorite pen is like asking a knife knut what is their favorite knife

In primary school learn to write in cursive with a dip pen with the ink well in the hole on the front of the desk
In secondary school at 11 I was cast under the mercy of the art master
We had to learn to write in italics to break the very slow cursive scrift
For two years we were obliged to write all our school work in italics with a fountain pen with an italic nib
After that we were allowed our own hand and we could buy other nibs
\
The fountain pen was Osmiroid and like the American Esterbrooks has changeable nibs
The Esterbrook nibs were more commercial and even had hard long nibs that could apply enough pressure of filling out manifests in triplicate with old carbon paper
Osmroid were writing nibs, from a soft fine nib to a long broad left handed italic nib, something for everybody and you could change them as you wanted
I still have my school pens and the nibs, retired
Later on I moved on to a Parker 45 fine in stainless steel, which of course I still have

I watercolor paint, and I often go on vacation to England and just recently India to paint
I walk or hike places or up mountains with my easel and paper and paints
I often draw with fountain pens, then on top of the drawing paint with watercolors
This is where my recommendation for Noodlers Bulletproof Black, great black ink to draw with and waterproof for painting
Pilot, and Waterford make student pens, which I purchased on eBay for a few dollars each
The a school pens, they do not leak and they start each time.
The Pilot pen is Japanese for school kids writing very fine form, so the nib is very fine in deed with a lovely flex to it
I use it for detailed ink drawings where I can do very fine shading with the nib
The Waterford is French, so gives a good strong line for writing, but this means for large 11x9" painting you can occupy a lot of space with the line drawing
I also use the Lamy Safari with an extra fine nib, that writes wet, and it is a blend of EF and a lot of ink on the paper

I have my grandfather's Parker 51
He was a powerful man and the broad nib in the pen left you no doubt of that in his writing
My father's pen is smaller and softer to write with
And my mother's deep red Ladies Parker wrote very well

On the highly impressive end are a couple of pens
A Pilot pen in a heavy stainless with an integrated extra fine nib in the body of the pen, the front of the pen is the nib
It folds as a short pen but when the cap is posted it is full size
I got it NIB
A Pelikan 200 with a custom EEF nib, it works if you like to write fine
I like to write in my journal with a small script
A Pilot like above but in plastic with the nib inset in the front

so what was the question?
My favorite?
Well it goes like this

Hey guys i got a question, thinking about buying a TiBolt but I want to know if it takes G2 refills before I buy one. Anyone know if the Tibolt takes G2 0.38 refills?

I've come to really like my cross tec3... So much that I ordered a tec4, cross oens are on sale right now... And I happened to hit a day when they had free engraving, so why not? It shall be mine forever!

For me its as much about the refill/ink as it is the pen. I need something that doesn't smudge as much so gel is less favorable. Also I write a lot so having a screw top doesn't work plus I loose them a lot. Like having something thicker, my hands are a little bigger. At the time my current carry is a Tibolt, Tuff Writer and Boker. Like Schmidt refills but prefer Fisher for the smudge factor and being able to write at any angle.
Cheers and Happy Holidays

I have a collection of fountain pens, both vintage & modern Mont Blancs & Parkers. But for everyday, I use blue Pilot G-2 07. For me, nothing beats the way they write & if I lose one, it's like a buck or two.

I like pens that actually write. If the ink doesn't smear easily, that's a plus.

I've never been able to pay the cash for a dedicated EDC pen. For me, pens are one of those things that are very easy to lose or are frequently taken by someone else. Someone did make me a nice pen out of wood, but I can't carry it and it stays in the safe. So I usually opt for those G2s also.

I've been using the Uni Power Tank for nearly 2 years now. It writes better than the space pen refill and is much cheaper.

I only own one nice pen. This Faber-Castell ebony rollerball. Sorry about the knife content. :D

IMG_3030-1_zps247c59cd.jpg

I recently picked up this Schrade and kind of liked it. So I just ordered a bunch to give to co-workers for Christmas gifts. The pic doesn't show the end that is pointed like a glass-break or kubaton. It comes with both ball point and fountain tip/guts. I chose to try out the fountain nib first, because I haven't used one in decades.

2zps0f7.jpg

Back