Post your examples of "Reputation Point Abuse"

If I can understand the Le tort of all of this posting it is:

1. anonymous rep points are a bad thing as one has no idea were they come
from and becuase they are unknown that makes them "bad" for no or
sometimes apparant reasons.
2. When a red point is given then that is or isn't a bad thing unless it is
indeed signed.(that way you know who is dinging your rep)
3. Now if the red chiclet is signed and a rather bad message is left you
don't like that either.
4. to actually pay for a membership such as platinum is unthinkable as the
red chiclets that you have received would keep you from subscribing
because you would discover the very people who were
"dinging" you in the first place.
5. The mere fact that a rep point system exists at all and you aren't
receiving "your" share of green chiclets means that the whole system
is biased.
6. Now for a interesting question, do you think that you haven't received
the green chiclets because of your opinions or more because your
opinions aren't popular? Or is it because the systen is "unfair" to you
even though that was the system that you signed in for?

Just a few questions/observations, I don't care either way.

Either one of the above or you are the largest "rep point whore" that I have
ever seen. Hopefully you have a legit beef or you will pander to anyone to
get just one more green chiclet. Or suspendatur per collum sus.per.col.

gajinoz said:
I think this whole thread makes highly entertaining reading!

So do I! Amazing how much time and bandwidth can be wasted on something...I can just see Homer Simpson staring at his monitor in a dark room while he sits in his underwear..."why you stoopid little red chicklets....DOH!!!" :mad:

Ok, geothorn;

If you honestly think you are being abused, or threatened here at BFC via the rep system, contact one of the moderators or Supers, and report it. The supers then can look into who may be abusing you.

The rep system, as has been stated, only allows one (1) person to either ding you or give you positive rep once every so often. (I'm not sure of the frequency) If you are getting a bunch of negative rep, it is from several people, not just one person.

As I stated to averageguy, your only remedy to this is to get on the phone, and call Spark at 1SKS during business hours, and complain directly to him. He owns the place, and sets the policy. The mods merely enforce his polices. We do not have the ability to shut the rep system off, or modify it in any way, shape or form. Averageguy refused to talk to Spark; perhaps you have a little more intestinal fortitude than he does.

Your next remedy is to pony up for a Platinum membership, which allows you to see who gives you rep points, bad or good. Besides supporting the operation of this place, you gain some added benefits and respect.

Last, but not least, if you don't want to upgrade, or talk to Spark, then I guess you'll be leaving Bladeforums, and posting someplace where their policies are more in line with your way of thinking.

Good luck.

By the way; I sign all of the rep points that I give out, good or bad. You will not be receiving any points from me whatsoever.

Look at the latest trollish off-the-wall threads and posts by Sebenza4ever. Then check his rep. Lots of different people had to ding him to get him to that level. The system works, and works well.

geothorn said:
I thought that I was on your Ignore list, silenthunterstudios. :)

I know that everyone against my position in this thread is just trying to shut me up, by insults, by staged "umbrage," blah, blah, blah. The bottom line is that you are defending cowardice by allowing people to negatively ding people and to post negative comments without their being required to sign it.

No, silenthunterstudios, I'm not comparing a coward who leaves a ding or a negative comment to a criminal. I'm only saying that criminals shouldn't be allowed to prey on their victims because they can blend into the crowd, behind anonymity. The other side of the anonymity argument that I'm making is that if someone only has the balls to anonymously ding someone, instead of coming out and facing them, without hiding, why are those cheap shots allowed?

I've made and will continue making my argument, silenthunterstudios, no matter how you try muddying/obfuscating it. Nice try. Nice lie about adding me to your Ignore list. (Good for your post count, though. ;))

GeoThorn

You're not on my ignore list, your posts are funnier than what I read in W and C. I still think your comparison is pretty shallow.

I actually try to get HUGE neg rep numbers...

However the problem is that right when Im able to get my numbers to around -90 some fool logs-on and posts that he agrees with me, and Im back to where I started...

PLEASE, if you are going to agree with something I post, just tell me in the open room where it will do some good....I want to try to raise my neg count to over -100.

Oh, and sometimes when I decide to use the rep number system to really rank on a guy, I will make sure that after I insult him and his mother, that I click on the "AGREE" box so that I really confuse the guy....LOL

DaQo'tah Forge said:
Oh, and sometimes when I decide to use the rep number system to really rank on a guy, I will make sure that after I insult him and his mother, that I click on the "AGREE" box so that I really confuse the guy....LOL

Doesn't matter either way, rep points handed out by newbies people with negative reputation don't add to (or detract from) the score. They don't even show up as red or green chiclets, they're all gray, both positive and negative points.

geothorn said:
The bottom line is that you are defending cowardice by allowing people to negatively ding people and to post negative comments without their being required to sign it.

The bottom line is that you posted this thread with an internet pseudonym and not revealing any personal information - effectively making you as anonymous as anyone else. You don't really have a leg to stand on when attacking anonymity.

I get bad rep all the time too. Nobody signs it either. I wish some of these internet tough guys would quit hiding behind their computer screens. Thats it! I'm calling all of you out! All you chicklet whores only amount to a small portion of this forum. If enough people get together, we can bring down the chicklet tyrants! Who's with me!? I plan on bringing this fight to the Chicklet Kingdom (W&C). I await, Riders of the Red Chicklets! Unite!

"Reputation Point Abuse"

Here's an example that I just received from a post on this thread:

"What a real man you are-the system wont let me ding you back-you phucking a-hole coward-i havent dissed you you flea ridden kunt faced maggot rep point whore"

:confused:

Ding me right back? The individual has to be mistaken, because I haven't dinged them. Oh well.

Edited to add: This rating didn't count - it was a gray.

DaQo'tah Forge said:
I actually try to get HUGE neg rep numbers...

However the problem is that right when Im able to get my numbers to around -90 some fool logs-on and posts that he agrees with me, and Im back to where I started...

PLEASE, if you are going to agree with something I post, just tell me in the open room where it will do some good....I want to try to raise my neg count to over -100.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :yawn: :p

DaQo'tah Forge said:
Damn guys,,,,I was at - 58 when I first posted here, now Im up to -52.....

thats dirty pool....LOL

That's good, trying reverse psychology, green rep points will piss you off. I'm wise to ya, just rep whorin like the rest of us ;) .

Ren the devils trailboss said:
and if you keep up this tirade..you will be our newest member of the pirates cove PT list...
Ooh, ahh, the terrible Pirate's Cove PT List! I've heard of the Pirate's Cove PT List, but, since I'm only a lowly "Registered User," it doesn't really matter to me. What's PT stand for?

Hm, maybe that's what averageguy was talking about when he mentioned "intimidation?" Yes, I think so. Sorry, Ren, but being on the Pirate's Cove PT List only matters to those who frequent the Pirate's Cove and know about the PT List. Since I don't know what the PT List is, nor the awesome destructive power it wields, it doesn't bother me much. Like if I were verbally threatened to be attacked with a machete, but I hadn't heard about or had the word "machete" explained to me, how worried should I be?

Geothorn..dude..its a ding on a reputation point. you acting like go were given a brain tumor by someone here..get over it. I got dinged the other day just so someone could say " You Suck" on a post that was talking about my Dad.
In my opinion, cowards suck. I guess that I shouldn't be so upset that cowards can ding me and send a negative comment without taking responsibility for it, at least that's what you're telling me. You're also telling me that you protect and defend cowards and their "right" to attack with anonymity. Why's that?

And the reputation point abusers have been banned by the mods in the past if they just ding people.
I would hope so. However, how many posts are required to be able to ding? Not too tough to ding someone then go to a couple/few other forums and post a several throw-off replies like, "Yes, I totally agree with the above person's review of this knife!"

Move on dont take it personaly...mean people suck.
Cowards suck, and if they haven't the balls to discuss, debate or argue an issue, any issue, in a regular thread, then why should they be able to hide and attack through anonymity? Explain that to me.

This is a huge bulletin board system where people leave messages and trade opinions and points of view, probably thousands of time a day. If someone has something they want to say to me, why not stand on even ground? "Hit and run" is a traffic crime; allowing cowards to give people anonymous dings and negative comments is virtually 'hit and run.' I'm thinking that this thread could be over, quickly, if someone just had the gumption to say "I'm not defending cowards, I'm just defending my ability to attack and run away, without any backtalk."

To date you have been a valuable member of this board.
Thanks. I hope to continue to be.

Dont get all butthurt and ruin it now.
"Butthurt?" Maybe I live a sheltered life, but that sounds like some homosexual reference. I'm sorry if you're confused, but I'm heterosexual and I haven't heard/don't comprehend some homosexual references. Where did you hear that term?

have a nice day..

Ren
You to. Nice chatting with you.

GeoThorn

Planterz said:
One more thing...

Has it occured to you that perhaps his comment was ancillary to the overall general impression he had of your post? What I mean is, what if he had left the comment section blank? You'd probably then get the impression that you said something he disagreed with.
Yes, if the comment section was blank, next to the anonymous negative ding, I would've thought that he just disagreed with what I'd said. I wish that I were able to see a longer list of my most recent Reputation Points, so that I could follow that anonymous ding and matching comment directly back to the exact post that received the ding. Unfortunately, what with the rapidity that I'm receiving negative dings, only seeing my five most recent Reputation Point marks means that I should check my points more often. ;)

Of course, should the coward come forward, he can direct me to the correct, specific post, and why he thinks that I somehow don't "support" BladeForums. But, that's my whole argument. He's in his hidey-hole, quivering in fear about having a discussion with me on level ground.

Planterz said:
I certainly don't agree with what you said in that thread.
I really don't care if you agree with what I said in that thread. If everyone at BladeForums was so concerned with what Planterz thought about their every post, "Would Planterz agree or disagree with what I'm saying?" then no one would post at all, and would never ever knowingly disagree with anyone. I understand that not every person is going to agree or disagree with me and I'm fine with it.

Planterz said:
1.) IMO, it's not a big deal to make a sig like you do, but saying that you're cheap and this is how you can get around it is kind of a dick move,
The key point in your statement is "IMO." In my opinion it isn't a "dick move." It's allowed and allowable in both the rules of BladeForums and in posting, whether one is a "Registered User" or a 'Platinum Member.' Our opinions are different. Please don't lose any sleep over it.

Planterz said:
and 2) Nordic Viking is not a prick.
Planterz, I'm really sorry that you misunderstood that thread. I was only joking with Nordic Viking over his ribbing me about how much data my copy~pasted "sgnature file" would add to the BladeForums database in a year. I stopped using that signature file, after Nordic Viking's gentle rebuke, and I initiated some word play. No biggie. Well, no biggie to me, anyway. You and the coward apparently disagree.

Planterz said:
If someone gave you a negative rep point for either of those posts, I wouldn't disagree with it. Perhaps the comment he made was in addition to this sentiment. I don't know if this is the case of course, but it's a possibility I think.
I think that you've made your position (well) known. You think that there's nothing at all wrong about cowards being allowed to anonymously ding people and give them negative comments.

I think that men should stand up for what they believe in, and the words that they choose to use to express them, and not be able to hide in anonymity like hiding behind their mommy's skirts. I cannot understand how so many BladeForums members, and it appears to be several moderators and paying members, but, certainly not all of them, are defending a coward.

GeoThorn

roughedges said:
geothorn:

I won't ding you, just ask a question.

I see you regularly in the political forum where you, in my opinion, do defend yourself and whatever point you are making with a certain style and eloquence and an obviously high intelligence.

Apply your interest in politics to this: what system, shared among seperate people, have you ever known to function perfectly?
Thanks for your kind compliments, but I'm not certain that I deserve them. I am certain that most of those arguing against me would vehemently disagree. I hope that you don't receive any negative dings for showing signs of any support of me.

I'm not seeking perfection in the Reputation Point System. All I'm suggesting/requesting is that one thing be changed. All I'm asking is that if someone wants to leave a negative ding along with a negative comment, then they should be required to sign it. If someone just wants to leave an anonymous negative ding because they disagree with my post, or think I'm picking on someone in a thread, or that I'm lying, they can do so, as the system currently works. If they want to leave an anonymous negative ding along with a negative comment, then they should be required to put their name to it.

I'd prefer to discuss/debate/argue a topic in an open forum rather than to allow someone who refuses to openly take part in the discussion/debate/argument to take pot-shots at people without taking responsibility for what they say. In an open forum, like this one, if I say something that someone (or a lot of people) doesn't like, then I get to hear it, don't I? Bulletin boards and message boards are about the give and take of knowledge and opinions, not about insulting someone then being able to run away, into the crowd, and getting away with making cheap shots.

roughedges said:
Dude, get over it. One of the first neg. reps I got here was from a post I made that was only slightly sarcastic in a my maker vs. your maker thread. I imagine if I'd complained about how obviously ridiculous that was I would have soon found my way to Ren's PT list myself.
Again, I'm hearing about Ren's apparently famous PT List. Sorry, I don't know what that is, and, because I don't, it makes little difference to me.

Apparently the PT List is some private Pirate's Cove function, and, as such, Registered Users have no idea what it is. If some want to use Ren's PT List as some sort of a threat or intimidation, well, that's great, if you like that sort of thing, but, if you're threatening someone with something that they've never heard of, chances are that it doesn't have quite as much of an intimidation factor as is intended.

In 1945, if the U.S. government had threatened Japan with dropping a bomb named "Fat Boy" on Hiroshima, would the Japanese have been too worried about it? Sure, they should have been worried, but, never having ever heard of an atomic bomb before, would they have been really worried?

roughedges said:
You are passionate and opinionated on issues. Given that, I believe you already know that you can't agree with everyone. I also don't think you care if someone disagrees with your POV. And that is fine, an admirable trait actually- regardless of whether I agree with anything you say. But given all this, I can't for the life of me understand why you give even a rabbit's crap about a red chiclet.
I only give a crap about getting an anonymous negative ding combined with a negative comment from a coward who is dodging accepting any responsibility for what he says privately, hiding behind anonymity.

Obviously, as much as I'm swimming upsteam in this thread, and virtually bleeding red chicklets, getting red chicklets doesn't matter that much to me. I cannot understand why this coward is being supported and defended. I also cannot understand why he cannot discuss/debate/argue his disagreement with me, in the open, rather than taking cheap shots.

roughedges said:
It's not about deserving the neg. rep. It's about how many members think you deserve it. It isn't a perfect system but things tend to work out in the longer run.
I'm going to disagree with you there. If "It's not about deserving the neg. rep." then what the heck is there a Reputation Point System for, in the first place? If Reputatuion Points haven't any use at BladeForums, then why is it an enabled part of the software?

I'm just saying that cowards shouldn't have the ability to hide themselves within anonymity so that they can rip someone with impugnity and then scurry away, without taking any responsibilty. But, there are a lot of defenders of cowardice here, I'm discovering.

GeoThorn

m1marty said:
Ok, OK...I admit it! It was me! I am the chickenshit coward who dinged you Geothorn. I am the rep sniper who dings from the shadows. I'm sorry, now please, PLEASE
STFU!!
Sorry, m1marty, but I don't follow orders too well. If I did, I'd have taken the coward's suggestion and immediately signed up for a paid BladeForums subscription, rather than be here and openly confronting the chickenshit, right?

I'm sure that the coward is appreciative to you for standing up to defend him, since he apparently hasn't yet stepped-up to defend himself. :)

GeoThorn

KeithAM said:
First:

I am not a moderator (duh!).

I don't have a long row of green ones chiklets (duh again).

I have no personal stake in defending the rep point system (I'm not sure anyone has).

BUT,

I've been dinged with red ones a couple of times, and, guess what? -- it kind of steamed me. In fact, it seemed downright unfair. However, I definitely didn't feel that it rose to the level of ABUSE. Nor did I believe my reputation had been "damned." It was just someone saying he didn't like my post. To even use the word "abuse" or "damning" to describe getting a single negative rep point is, to me, a gross overreaction. It's being way too . . . sensitive.

Abuse would be one person who has a grudge against you giving you 100s of neg rep points. The system does not allow this. And, you can only give rep once per post. These are sufficient safeguards against actual abuse.
I think that it's abusive when someone is allowed to give out anonymous negative dings and negative comments without taking responsibility for them. I agree, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, repeating, but an echo is often what one hears when shouting against a brick wall.

GeoThorn

Back