Practical Advantages: 3" Fixed vs 3" Folder

It all comes down in the end to personal preference. I know as I've gotten 'older' that my preference is to the most simple thing I can find. I now shoot a revolver almost exclusively because I don't have to deal with magazines and slides. I like it when I just open gun, insert rounds, close gun and shoot. Arthritis makes life a little harder when you get old. I tell the pharmacist not to use child proof caps because I have a hard time dealing with them. I'm getting to a point where I just want to pull a knife out of a sheath, use it, and just stick it back in when I'm done. I don't like dealing with mechanisms. If I follow this principle to the end, then a small sheath knife is simpler to deal with.

It all comes down to perspective and preference. That's why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors on hand.

Carl.

I was referring to the outdoorsmans you were referring to in your posts. Why would they care about office carry when their uses are for bushcraft, fishing, hunting, etc. Why exactly are you throwing a tantrum over this? No matter how functionally comparable a folder is to a fb that doesnt mean its stronger or easier to maintain. It comes down to preferences and what aspects people value over others. At this point you are just crying about how awesome folders are.

Who's throwing a tantrum? If I list my points, I'm throwing a tantrum and when you do, you are being logical? LOL. If you read my post carefully what I'm saying is that what your outdoorsmen might find as a valuable characteristic might not matter to someone who's not an outdoorsman. So let me lay it out before you jump to another conclusion, what is best for an outdoorsman might not be best for someone who's not an outdoorsman.

My bottom line is "best" and "functionally better" are subjective depending on what factor you give the most importance. That should be clear enough.

Practical terms meaning practical edc uses of a knife for my personal uses. I only speak for myself. Unless you failed physics, 1 solid piece of material stronger than two pieces stuck together with a screw...

Stronger doesn't mean better for everybody. It's you guys who take one characteristic and make it the most important characteristic for everybody when strength is not an issue for some.

If you look at the EDC thread here, about 90 percent of the people show that they are carrying folders. If 90 percent of people here or even just in that thread carry a folder/folders then it must have some characteristic that makes it "functionally better" for them at that moment than a fixed blade of whatever configuration.

As I mentioned earlier too, I find it funny that the knife use police immediately jump on anyone when they question lock strength(use a knife like a knife). It's probably also those same knife use police who now find that a folder is not strong enough.

Last edited:
Get both, carry both, use both and decide yourself which one you want to have on you.
Your choice of should be situational and the most fitting to your line of use/work. Adapt your equipment to your conditions and/or enviroment accordingly!

Last edited:
Get both, carry both, use both and decide yourself which one you want to have on you.
Your choice of should be situational and the most fitting to your line of use/work. Adapt your equipment to your conditions and/or enviroment accordingly!

Yes!!! This!!!!

For me the biggest reason I prefer a fixed blade over a folder is the handle is designed to be a handle ONLY. The ergonomics are not compromised in any manner to accommodate the inset of a blade. A folder handle by contrast may have relatively good ergos, but it must also serve as a reservoir for the blade. I have never handled a folder that had preferable ergonomics to one of my fixed blades.

If you are pulling out a knife a few dozen times a day for tasks that take a few seconds before putting the blade away, this notion of ergonomics is perhaps a non-issue. If on the other hand, you use a knife constantly for a significant duration of time you start to understand the importance of ergos.

For me the biggest reason I prefer a fixed blade over a folder is the handle is designed to be a handle ONLY. The ergonomics are not compromised in any manner to accommodate the inset of a blade. A folder handle by contrast may have relatively good ergos, but it must also serve as a reservoir for the blade. I have never handled a folder that had preferable ergonomics to one of my fixed blades.

If you are pulling out a knife a few dozen times a day for tasks that take a few seconds before putting the blade away, this notion of ergonomics is perhaps a non-issue. If on the other hand, you use a knife constantly for a significant duration of time you start to understand the importance of ergos.

I know I'm beaten once you start with your excellently written and thought out posts Ken. :D

I didn't even start getting into that part of it. LOL :D

That is however a very important part of the discussion and what you said is very true.

Who's throwing a tantrum? If I list my points, I'm throwing a tantrum and when you do, you are being logical? LOL. If you read my post carefully what I'm saying is that what your outdoorsmen might find as a valuable characteristic might not matter to someone who's not an outdoorsman. So let me lay it out before you jump to another conclusion, what is best for an outdoorsman might not be best for someone who's not an outdoorsman.

My bottom line is "best" and "functionally better" are subjective depending on what factor you give the most importance. That should be clear enough.

Stronger doesn't mean better for everybody. It's you guys who take one characteristic and make it the most important characteristic for everybody when strength is not an issue for some.

If you look at the EDC thread here, about 90 percent of the people show that they are carrying folders. If 90 percent of people here or even just in that thread carry a folder/folders then it must have some characteristic that makes it "functionally better" for them at that moment than a fixed blade of whatever configuration.

As I mentioned earlier too, I find it funny that the knife use police immediately jump on anyone when they question lock strength(use a knife like a knife). It's probably also those same knife use police who now find that a folder is not strong enough.

Umm if you go back and read your previous posts you would see that you jump on people who claim fb stronger than folders. Nobody cares what your philosophy on strength is. Fact is fact, debate something that is debatable. I dont even own a fb and I only carry spydercos and a crk. Not sure why im being lumped together with the hardcore users but im not going to argue fact with opinion like you are. Just because for normal driving we dont go past 80 mph doesnt mean a civic is just as fast as a ferrari. Thats broke logic.

I know I'm beaten once you start with your excellently written and thought out posts Ken. :D
Ha ha. I was going to bring this quote up you posted earlier and ask my wife to list the last few people she watched use a knife for their jobs. Might as well go ahead and do it anyway now;)

I dunno I'm probably wrong but it seems to me that most people who use fixed blades are doing so in mostly recreational activities like camping, bushcrafting, fishing, and other outdoor activities. IMHO, 90 percent of people who need knives in their work like craftsmen and other workers use folders.

I dunno just a thought.
Butcher (big fixed blade and cleaver),
Dock worker (large fixed fillet knife),
Carpet layer (hook knife (basically a fixed blade version of a retractable utility knife with disposable hooked blades))
Sushi chef (fixed chisel ground sushi knife)
Wood carver (a fixed blade knife with a 4 inch handle and a 1 inch blade)

Not one of these is an EDC use, but all of them are fairly hard core (in my eyes) knife users. None of them are particularly concerned with strength of the blade (we all know that proper design and responsible use leads to long life;)), but all of them are concerned with getting the job done day after day, and ergonomics and comfort are critical....that and the fact that no one makes a decent folding cleaver:D

Ha ha. I was going to bring this quote up you posted earlier and ask my wife to list the last few people she watched use a knife for their jobs. Might as well go ahead and do it anyway now;)

Butcher (big fixed blade and cleaver),
Dock worker (large fixed fillet knife),
Carpet layer (hook knife (basically a fixed blade version of a retractable utility knife with disposable hooked blades))
Sushi chef (fixed chisel ground sushi knife)
Wood carver (a fixed blade knife with a 4 inch handle and a 1 inch blade)

Not one of these is an EDC use, but all of them are fairly hard core (in my eyes) knife users. None of them are particularly concerned with strength of the blade (we all know that proper design and responsible use leads to long life;)), but all of them are concerned with getting the job done day after day, and ergonomics and comfort are critical....that and the fact that no one makes a decent folding cleaver:D

Now that you mention it....but that's probably because they don't walk around a lot they just work in one area. So they can carry the knife in hand or in a tool belt.

Now that you mention it....but that's probably because they don't walk around a lot they just work in one area. So they can carry the knife in hand or in a tool belt.

That is kind of true. Some of the Japanese restaurant chefs have Kydex sheaths that they carry their knives in on their hips (they also put on some amazing performances with their knives). The butcher/meat cutters in the cold houses also carry theirs in a sheath (but the one's at the counter rarely need to). The carpet layers had a tiny tool belt/sheath, and the wood carver has a plastic sheath on his hip.

But to compare these people and their knives to you or me would probably be a weak connection at best.

In the end, a person should probalby be open minded to try a few options, and then select their preferred choice and not have to defend it to anyone (but its rarely that simple).

That is kind of true. Some of the Japanese restaurant chefs have Kydex sheaths that they carry their knives in on their hips (they also put on some amazing performances with their knives). The butcher/meat cutters in the cold houses also carry theirs in a sheath (but the one's at the counter rarely need to). The carpet layers had a tiny tool belt/sheath, and the wood carver has a plastic sheath on his hip.

But to compare these people and their knives to you or me would probably be a weak connection at best.

In the end, a person should probalby be open minded to try a few options, and then select their preferred choice and not have to defend it to anyone (but its rarely that simple).

I do agree. I have a project right now(house building) and right at the start we had to sharpen 2X2's as stakes. I used a fixed blade for that. I kinda tried one or two of my folders and while they could do it, I could feel the stress on the parts. The FB shrugs off the force. But I wouldn't want to be carrying this knife around when I go to offices and such like.

edcfb2.jpg

Nope you absolutely can. I use my Izula 2 when camping to split kindling and in an emergency I wouldn't think twice about batoning it cross grain to cut a sappling for a splint or to make poles for my shelter. For every day tasks I admit there really is no reason to go with a fixed blade over a folder though. The reason why I do about 50% of the time is the fact that it would be nice to have if I was ever caught in a disaster like an earthquake and had to fend for myself for a short time and caught away from home. The other reason is having it with me at work reminds me of the adventures I can have with it while backpacking and makes my day go by faster.

And as far as the broken comment. I've never heard someone say the blade is broken. They usually say the knife is broken, which it is.;)

Yeah, I guess you could get by with a smaller fixed blade, especially if you use wooden wedges to compensate for the smaller blade.

I'm starting to prefer fixed blades as EDC, mainly for the ease of(or lack of) maintenance. There is no worrying about adjusting pivot screws, cleaning stuff out of the handle, pocket clips bending, blade play, bad lock up etc.

Very first post on Bladeforums(woot!) so please be patient with me.

So I think it's pretty obvious that both types of blade have thier advantages.
I also think it's obvious no one knife is perfect for everybody, or there wouldn't be a need for thousands of different ones...

What I'm seeing here, sounds more to me like you WANT this knife and just want a logical excuse before you spend the $$$.
Well, I'm not a Beckerhead yet(give me time), but I'll try to justify it for you.

Being that I consider myself a survivalist, I try to be prepared for everything that I can. Therefore I carry an assortment of blades on me,
and make sure they're all with-in legal limits. If a knife on my belt scares of someone from talking my ear off, I probably didn't like them anyway.
My point is simply this, every time you leave home, there is no guarantee that you'll go back, but you can hedge the bet. In order to do that
you simply try to be aware and well prepared. In an emergency situation, you will only have the knife in your pocket(or on your belt?).
If you only have the one knife, or even if you have 5, you want at least one that can handle hard abuse, batoning or prying included.
If you only have a folder, even a good one may break or loosen if you use it to baton a small tree for splints, and you could have to.
No folder will be able to handle anywhere near what the BK14 will. You leave the house every day hoping not to need car/home/life insurance,
but if/when the day ever comes, you'll be glad you had it...

This is a very good point.

For those of us in California, one practical consideration is concealability. It's a big, big no-no to conceal a fixed blade. This is the reason I have no practically concealable "field" fixed blades (kitchen knives excepted) - my fixed-blades are 6.5"+.

I own only quality folders. Not one of them is going to fail with responsible, proper use. If I engage in abuse of the knife, beyond what it was designed for, yeah, it might - maybe even probably - fail, and do a number on my digits. But unless my life is in danger, I'm not going to use a folder in a way that puts so much stress on the pivot or lock that it could fail. And even then, how often is one going to "need" to put so much spine-side stress on the lock that it could tax the lock?

Knives are fun, so if you like "little" fixed blades, go for it! But there simply is no universal argument that "fixed blade is always better than folder."

I have just recently went from carrying my Benchmade Griptilian to carrying my Izula II as my EDC knife. I am a pharmacist and wear dress pants most days. The Griptilian tended to slide down in my pocket and get horizontal creating a large bulge, especially when i sat down. If I clipped it to my pocket, the thin material of the dress pants got pulled down and looked funny as well as exposed the knife more. The Izula II is longer so it stays upright against my pocket and I feel is actually easier to carry while wearing dress pants. I would have never thought this before I tried it. On the weekends and evenings, it goes on a neck lanyard.

For me, the strength of a fixed blade is only needed for larger, outdoorsy knives.
I have never encountered a task which was suited to a shorter blade where I needed more strength.
The ease of cleaning out gunk is the only practical advantage I see to a short fixed blade...unless you're comparing to cheap, unsafe folders.

I also hate how carrying a smallish fixed blade feels. It just ain't comfortable. If it's small enough to be comfortable, it's too small. For me that is, so don't come back with a litany of how amazingly comfortable your "XYZ" method of fixed blade carry is.:D

Good point

Last edited:
For me, the strength of a fixed blade is only needed for larger, outdoorsy knives.
I have never encountered a task which was suited to a shorter blade where I needed more strength.
The ease of cleaning out gunk is the only practical advantage I see to a short fixed blade...unless you're comparing to cheap, unsafe folders.

I also hate how carrying a smallish fixed blade feels. It just ain't comfortable. If it's small enough to be comfortable, it's too small. For me that is, so don't come back with a litany of how amazingly comfortable your "XYZ" method of fixed blade carry is.:D

I mostly agree.

It's silly to argue that folding blades are "as strong as" a fixed blade. Nope. Never have been. Never will be.

But today's quality folders are tough enough for a lot of usage. I prefer using a fixed blade when I'm actually using a knife much. But even though they are legal here, I dislike wearing a sheath. And small pocket fixies just aren't my thing either.

Actually, this thread is giving me a slight impulse to buy a small fixed blade. But the feeling will probably pass.

Back