Practical Advantages: 3" Fixed vs 3" Folder

Thank you to everyone for your great family stories. It reminded me off how much I appreciate my own grandfather, who luckily is still kicking, and this past christmas actually recieved three new Case Knives to add to his collection. These along with a few others make up his collection of hunting, fishing, and war momento knives. While I personally like a fixed blade for my woods carry he and I both also bring along our trusty folders.

I personally like supplementing my fixed blade with a small swiss army knife. It do this because it gives me more options than just carrying a single blade folder around without adding too much weight. I don't care how awesome, ergonomic, tough, or handsome my fixed blade is when my stupid flashlight (other accessory) has broken and I need a screwdriver to fix it I grab my swiss army. It's that beautiful simple addition of ability which in my mind makes the swiss army or multitool the king of all EDC. Honestly I don't even carry a folder anymore because I have found that the blades of my multitool or swiss army knife are plenty sharp and due to their size are able to complete the same task as a single blade folder. To me this is an issue I am seeing in many folding knives which are out today. Why try to make a more rugged, or strong folder? It will never have the stability of a fixed blade and all you are doing is taking away the mobility that makes the knife so desirable.

This is of course just my opinion on my knives and what I like to carry. It might be stupid as all get outs but hey... I'm not dead yet XP

Originally Posted by Glock26 View Post
>> To compare, a Fixed blade is a loaded gun, a folder is a un loaded gun. <<

I'm sorry, but this is the worst, least helpful comparison I have seen all day.

Don't worry, it's just because you aren't in the spirit of the thing. I didn't get it either, but I'll try to keep it going.

"To compare, a bowl of cereal is often eaten with a spoon, a waffle is an unusable bus ticket."

How did I do? About the same value to the discussion?

Robert

fixed or folder......salsa or ketsup?? preference is what it comes down to. I carry both...generally...but my fixed blade choices tend to be much bigger than most. My smallest is 3.5" and my largest(daily carry) is 7"....I'm ready if the zombies come after me!! I also work hard at fitness and I can carry a 7" or larger fixed blade and you won't see it under a suit coat....I'm an investigator so these larger blades can be a life saver!! Couple that with an Alessio Bodyguard shoulder rig and I'm happy as can be.......

And you are ignoring the biggest strength of the folder which is convenience and ease of carry?

no. both of those are personal preferance.

i find a fixed blade much more easily accessable then a folder, (where as there are 5 steps to opneing a folding knife, and only 2 steps to getting out a fixedblade.) and i find them far easier to carry. ide rather have it clipped to my belt, or in my waistband, so i can have my other pockets free.

it's prob already been said (this is a long thread), but i CANNOT legally carry around a fixed blade of any size unless i'm in the sierras or like; any advantages of carrying a fixed is moot...so i carry a folder...period end of story.

no. both of those are personal preferance.

i find a fixed blade much more easily accessable then a folder, (where as there are 5 steps to opneing a folding knife, and only 2 steps to getting out a fixedblade.) and i find them far easier to carry. ide rather have it clipped to my belt, or in my waistband, so i can have my other pockets free.

Nope, it's not personal preferrence. It's fact. You may prefer to ignore it, but that doesn't deny that it's easier to carry and more concealable. Small item vs. big item. Not even debatable.

How do you stretch opening a folder out to 5 steps?

I got it, I got it!!!

1) Blur comes out of the pocket

2) Press thumbstud forward and knife snaps open

3) Ummm.... errrr....

4) *cough*

5) ????

Crap... maybe not.

Wait; this time I mean it!! I got it!! All five moves figured out!!

1) Pull Junkyard Dog II out of pocket

2) Flick open silky smooth blade

3) ... ??? ....

4) Uhh... ah ha!! Wait... no... that wasn't it...

5) gone fishin'

Well, that beats me. I got nothin'.

Robert

I think it goes like this.

1. Think about getting the folder out.

2. Get the folder out.

3.Think about opening the folder.

4. Open the folder.

5.Uhhhh...

Nope, still nothing.

Fixed or folder is all the same to me for EDC, but folder is more convenient to carry.
I've never broken any kind of knife, so for my use there is no difference.
I have a small pry bar so I don't have to abuse my knife with kind of use, and I have a Parang for brush, small trees and log/limb work.
I really think that all this stuff about "what if I'm suddenly caught in the jungle and all I have is my one knife" imaginary scenario is all about making another rationalization for buying a knife. In reality, you can take whatever you need with you. You're never really going to be suddenly caught in the jungle with just your knife. If you are going to the jungle, bring what you need.

For EDC, like this thread is really about, either one is fine.

I think it goes like this.

1. Think about getting the folder out.

2. Get the folder out.

3.Think about opening the folder.

4. Open the folder.

5.Uhhhh...

Nope, still nothing.

Damnit, you had me going there for a minute.

I am going to keep working on this puzzle, though.

Robert

1: reach into your pocket to grab said knife.

2: pull the knife out of your pocket.

3: rotate the blade into a locking position

4: reafirm your grip on the knife into a usable position

5: bring knife to cutting surface

not that hard

although ill admit i am probably overcomplicating things. this is usually what it takes to open your standard manual folding knife. I.E: a knife that does not have a speed assisted function or waved opener.

and for a fixed blade knife it is far more simple because

1: grab knife

2: bring knife to cutting surface

there is no need to reafirm your grip on the knife because you are going to pull it out of the sheath in the handeling position that you will use it in. and the blade does not require any opening or locking into place. pulling it out of whatever sheathing it is housed in is within the same motion required to bring it to the cutting surface.

My spyderco tenacious was clipped point down today, and it opened in my pocket somehow. I managed to escape unscathed, but I wasn't impressed. I'm looking forward to my bark river PSK ariving soon.

Back