pros and cons for steel toe work boots.

When I was still working in staging, I got a pair of Steel-toes from Sears (having endured multiple instances of 500+ lbs. being 'set down'--i.e., dropped--on my toes). Problem is, they only went up to a size 12, while I normally wear a size 13. By the end of that gig, some months later, I had damaged the nerves in my big toes to the point that they were continually numb and slightly indented. It took, literally, two years for this to correct itself.

I would suggest going a size larger than you normally wear, if you can stand it and it won't give you hideous blisters. Remember, steel-toes WILL NOT STRETCH!! :eek: If they are at all uncomfortable when you try them on, DON'T BUY THEM!! They will remain at least as uncomfortable.

Also, be aware that 'Steel-Toed' does not imply 'invulnerable.' One of my coworkers caught a 600 lb. road crate that fell off the back of one of our semis, on his foot. It was EXCEPTIONALLY educational to watch at the hospital as they frantically looked for a tool that could cut through the steel toe-cup that had gotten crimped down around his toes like a bottle cap. In the end, they just deadened him from the knee down, and went at it with the saw they used for removing casts and a pair of tinsnips that they borrowed from a workman on the site. Tore him up nicely, in addition to the various bones he broke originally. So consider that a steel-toe is, figuratively speaking (and sometimes almost literally) a double-edged sword.

My $.02, adjusted for inflation.

:D

Kalindras said:
When I was still working in staging, I got a pair of Steel-toes from Sears (having endured multiple instances of 500+ lbs. being 'set down'--i.e., dropped--on my toes). Problem is, they only went up to a size 12, while I normally wear a size 13. By the end of that gig, some months later, I had damaged the nerves in my big toes to the point that they were continually numb and slightly indented. It took, literally, two years for this to correct itself.

I would suggest going a size larger than you normally wear, if you can stand it and it won't give you hideous blisters. Remember, steel-toes WILL NOT STRETCH!! :eek: If they are at all uncomfortable when you try them on, DON'T BUY THEM!! They will remain at least as uncomfortable.

Also, be aware that 'Steel-Toed' does not imply 'invulnerable.' One of my coworkers caught a 600 lb. road crate that fell off the back of one of our semis, on his foot. It was EXCEPTIONALLY educational to watch at the hospital as they frantically looked for a tool that could cut through the steel toe-cup that had gotten crimped down around his toes like a bottle cap. In the end, they just deadened him from the knee down, and went at it with the saw they used for removing casts and a pair of tinsnips that they borrowed from a workman on the site. Tore him up nicely, in addition to the various bones he broke originally. So consider that a steel-toe is, figuratively speaking (and sometimes almost literally) a double-edged sword.

My $.02, adjusted for inflation.

:D

Sure, that was bad, but what would have happened to his toes if he wasn't wearing the steel toe boots? If it bent the steel, it probably would have crushed toes beyond repair?

Also, were they ANSI-certified steel-toes? That may have made a difference.

It depends on your line of work and what might fall on your toes.
A hammer,yes steel toes are fine,but for something really heavy,something heavy enough to crush a steel toed boot,you are better off without them.

Walking this thread to Gadgets & Gear.

mad cow said:
It depends on your line of work and what might fall on your toes.
A hammer,yes steel toes are fine,but for something really heavy,something heavy enough to crush a steel toed boot,you are better off without them.
A friend that worked on pipelines told me the same thing. If it crushes the steel toe it may shear off the front of your foot.

I worked in the steel industry for a few years and they were provided free. Most of us got the training shoe type one. They will protect you to some extent, its not as if they are billed as 'totally safe'. They will make your feet sweat a bit more but is better to have smelly toes than none at all. If something is heavy enough to cripm the steel toe, imagine what it would do if you didnt have them.

Get them, its worth it for some piece of mind.

I work in a machine shop, and steel toes are required. I currently wear a hiker style made by Georgia Boot.

I also wore them in my duty boots before I retired from the fire service. The fire department required them in our wildland firefighting boots (mine are Red Wing 10" zip ups), and they also had steel toes in our structural firefighting boots. (the rubber ones)

I've never had a problem with the steel toes in any of my boots, and they have saved my toes a few times. If you are in an environment that could be hazardous to your feet, then you should wear them.

I have worn them for over 20 yrs not the same pair though.I am required to wear them for work and they do work.The only real draw back for me is in the winter time they conduct the cold and can make the toes a little frosty.IMO there is no substitute for quality boots.I have worn Red Wings for a long time and they work great for me and are well worth the cost.I should have also added I had a piece of 16" pipe come off a pipe stand and land on my foot a few yrs. back and ended up with three broken bones in my left foot but credit the steel toe with preventing my foot from being crushed.

From experience, two things to consider when you buy steel caps.

1. Get one size larger than your street shoes, the steel caps conduct heat, and swell your feet up in summer, and you should wear thick socks in winter to insulate your toes a little.

2. Buy top quality, as much as you can afford. Cheap boots can and will just about cripple you, they are usually wrong sized, rough stitched, and wrong shape to fit your feet.

Remember that you will be wearing these more than any other pair of shoes/boots that you own, and buying the best will pay off in the long term.

I would never consider working in a manual job without steel caps. I broke a small toe once and was off work for 6 weeks!

I hike in Wolverine steeltoes. They're comfortable for my wide feet, and my toes don't get dinged up. A little warm, but I was in 87 degree humid weather and wasn't uncomfortable in them.

I'm with Stumpy, the only bad thing I've noticed about steel toes is the cold gets to you quicker. .

What about "hard toe" vs "steel toe?"

see: http://www.wolverinebootsandshoes.com/catalog/gallery.aspx?GID=M&PID=W

Wolverine® SEMC® technology. Pushing the performance envelope and taking safety-toe protection one step further.

Wolverine® design engineers found inspiration in an unlikely place – the space shuttle. Using the same composite technology as NASA, Wolverine® SEMC® (Structurally Engineered Moldable Composite) provides superior composite safety-toe performance that has distinct advantages over traditional steel-toe footwear.

Wolverine® SEMC® composite keeps you warmer in cold-weather conditions because it retains heat.

The SEMC® technology protects you better than steel because it is non-conductive to electricity.

The composite is 30% lighter than steel so you can stay on your feet more comfortably until the work is done.

When it factors into the work environment, Wolverine® SEMC® provides the added benefit of heat-resistance.

The safety-toe protection of Wolverine® SEMC® exceeds both ANSI Z41 PT99 I/75 C/75 and CAN/CSA Z195 – M92 grade 1 standards.

Because Wolverine® SEMC® safety-toes are non-metallic, they are ideal for electronic security work environments.

MWelch beat me to it. I wore a pair of Matterhorn tanker boots for about 5 years while working at a chemical plant, and they had a plastic "safety toe" that was ANSI certified to the same standard as the requirement for steel-toed boots. Didn't conduct heat or electricity (if that's an issue for you) and weighed a little less than a steel toe. These were Goretex lined boots, and I never had a problem with sweaty or wet feet, and this was living in Florida and riding a motorcycle as primary transportation year-round. HIGHLY recommended.

Mine have the ceramic safety toe; still ANSI spec. Steel toes are more common so you have more choices in shoe styles.

I know some guys that have had forklifts back over feet... one in particular... pushed his foot into the dirt a few inches instead of crushing his foot!

If I was in an environment that required em... (prolly should anyway wrenching on cars!) I'd be wearing em!

:)

My auto teacher said last year (could be B.S.) that one of his friends got his foot backed over with a container truck, but he was pinned up against a wall, he curled up his toes in his boots, the steel part pinched down, and could have cut off his toes.

Would it be better to have no toes or crushed toes?

My guess... if they arent saveable... you wont have no toes after the docs get through with ya... :cool:

Back