pros and cons for steel toe work boots.

Kalindras said:
Also, be aware that 'Steel-Toed' does not imply 'invulnerable.' One of my coworkers caught a 600 lb. road crate that fell off the back of one of our semis, on his foot. It was EXCEPTIONALLY educational to watch at the hospital as they frantically looked for a tool that could cut through the steel toe-cup that had gotten crimped down around his toes like a bottle cap. In the end, they just deadened him from the knee down, and went at it with the saw they used for removing casts and a pair of tinsnips that they borrowed from a workman on the site. Tore him up nicely, in addition to the various bones he broke originally. So consider that a steel-toe is, figuratively speaking (and sometimes almost literally) a double-edged sword.

And this is the reason why the German military stopped issuing steel reinforcements in favor of hardened leather in the front portion of the boots. Great compromise IMO.

I agree it depends on your job. I've worn steel toe boots off and on for 27 years and with my job they can be a toe saver. I work in the retail food industry and handle alot of heavy cases of freight. If you've ever dropped a 25 to 30 pound case of vegetables on your foot, you'd be glad you had steel toes on. Also something as small as a 46oz. can of juice can really bruise the hell out of your toes if it hits them. I've found the Justin original workboots with steel toes are the most comfortable I've ever owned.
Scott

I wear the Matterhorn USAR boots with composite toes for disaster work. Leather bottoms and leather/kevlar/nomex uppers. Crosstech lined. I have really difficult feet, and I can't rave enough about these boots. They are the first ANSI/NFPA boots that I can really spend the whole day in. Plus, the Tigertip toes really take a beating.
botach_1807_278539926

Matterhorn Miner's Boots, best on the market, expensive, but they are the best. And did I mention they are invulnerable?? :cool:

Back