Reputation points.

I have to agree, upgrade your membership and then complain. I upgraded
mine and it is more than worth the money. 10 dollars? You'd spend that on
potato chips in a week. (Or beer in a day :D ). The fact the Blade Forums
are open to anyone who signs up is very nice of Spark, charity really and
a business isn't run on charity.

Just make sure you don't become one of those snotty gold member types or you run the risk of being exposed to rude pictures ....

Oh..... wait .......

gajinoz said:
Just make sure you don't become one of those snotty gold member types or you run the risk of being exposed to rude pictures ....

Oh..... wait .......

Why Gajinoz, whatever do you mean? :eek: :D

The Cove is a blast and well worth the dough for the access. Besides how
would they know if they made the PT list or not? :confused:

I can understand where averageguy is coming from.

Basically, most everyone defending the reputation system, or ignoring it, are saying that no, it isn't necessary, it isn't a big deal, and just to "pay no attention to it." However, I've seen moderators say that a low chicklet count means that they generally won't pay any attention to those with the small numbers of chicklets. Maybe that mod will compare the number of chicklets to the length of time the person has been a member, and "do the math" in their heads, that this person is a newbie, and that, too, could account for being in the 'on a distinguished road (+10)' category, rather than their ever having been dinged. That person's post, like your first day at BladeForums, won't have a huge number of chicklets attached to it, but the answer and the information may be just as good as someone who's got a "beacon of light like a hundred-mile high lighthouse" reputation.

That, to me, is two different answers. Some mods say that the number of chicklets means nothing to them, some say that it determines who they'll spend their time reading.

If the reputation point system is basically unnecessary, something to be ignored, then why use it as a part of the software? If the reputation point system were disabled, then it would allow the software to work faster, web page download times would be faster, and the software would be less unnecessarily complex. Seem like a couple of good reasons not to have a reputation system, if it is indeed superfluous.

The chicklets do generally serve to indicate the members with the best answers and/or those that have the most experience here, on a wide range of topics, however, even Einstein was a newbie, at one time.

It's best, I think, to just disregard the reputation point system. Want to see the lamest reason/'explanation' that I've ever seen for being dinged:

DaQo'tah Forge said:
I agree with your comments,,,However I decided to Disapprove anyway just because I should have posted your post first
I don't know how many words one can place in a reputation point comment form, so maybe DaQo'tah Forge ran out of room. However, I couldn't be any more confused had he used more words. I got a blue reputation chicklet for that one.

What I'm saying is, if some people haven't any clue as to why they're giving a negative reputation point to someone, it's best not to pay any attention to it. ;)

GeoThorn

Razorback - Knives said:
BTW Geo, I'm now a glorious beacon of light. :D
That's terrific!! I shall shield my eyes as I would whilst viewing an eclipse! ;)

WeaponWoman looks like she got hit with the negative reputation stick too many times. I would look up her posts but something tells me that they aren't much worth reading. ;)

geothorn said:
I've seen moderators say that a low chicklet count means that they generally won't pay any attention to those with the small numbers of chicklets.

Huh? Show me where a moderator said that.

Cougar Allen said:

Show me as well.

I pay attention to all posts equally. I don't discriminate because someone is either new, or doesn't have a high rep count.

However, in cases such as WeaponWomans, I read the posts, shake my head in sheer amazement of her ignorance, and either comment, or move on. Why waste any more time than necessary on someone such as her?

I judge each poster by the quality of their posts, not how many red or green chiclets they have.

Averageguy, sounds like you don't have the intestinal fortitude to speak with Spark personally. I figured as much. :rolleyes:

By the way, folks, none of you here will be receiving any negative rep points from me whatsoever. Just so we are clear.

Cougar Allen said:
From Rep points - are we in junior high, or what?
K.V. Collucci said:
It amazes me that some people get so worked up over a silly little red or green chiclet. This is how I regard the rep point system:

Red = Someone I will not deal with on BFC.

Green = Someone I will deal with on BFC.

This pertains to trades, sales, etc. As far as any other BS I couldn't care less. I have a lot of rep points. Most are due to helping people get through a problem on BFC or helping resolve a computer related issue. (I still think we should have that computer forum.) I have gotten negative points a few times but do I care? No. Should you? No. I know my reputation around here was intact long before the rep system was implemented so I am not worried in the least about them. I would be totally fine with having the system disappear.
I apologize, I think that I either paraphrased Mr. K.V. Collucci, or I extrapolated from his statement, that fewer green chiclets/more red chiclets would be someone that he would dismiss.

Sorry for throwing in a halibut. I remembered it differently than I'd read it.

GeoThorn

After doing some research, I wont be calling Spark - a search of his posts does suggest he's fairly well aware of what is taking place here on these forums.

Further, many of the idiots who have taken a considerable amount of time to express contrary views in this thread actually expressed similar views to my own in related threads previously.

It is quite obvious to me and to everyone else this system is bull sh*t.
It doesn't work. It is of no benefit to the forums. And, it definitely does not reflect on one's knowledge of knives.

Only the lowest weasel would support a system that permits them to negatively rep someone in an unsubstantiated and anonymous way. Those half dozen or so are easily identifiable in this thread.

Spark, this is a real shortcoming of this forum and I'm surprised you don't see this. It's your forum and I don't intend to pursue this further. If you like this system then I don't have to. But there is no question in my mind that the integrity of this venue has been compromised.

averageguy said:
After doing some research, I wont be calling Spark - a search of his posts does suggest he's fairly well aware of what is taking place here on these forums.

Further, many of the idiots who have taken a considerable amount of time to express contrary views in this thread actually expressed similar views to my own in related threads previously.

It is quite obvious to me and to everyone else this system is bull sh*t.
It doesn't work. It is of no benefit to the forums. And, it definitely does not reflect on one's knowledge of knives.

Only the lowest weasel would support a system that permits them to negatively rep someone in an unsubstantiated and anonymous way. Those half dozen or so are easily identifiable in this thread.

Spark, this is a real shortcoming of this forum and I'm surprised you don't see this. It's your forum and I don't intend to pursue this further. If you like this system then I don't have to. But there is no question in my mind that the integrity of this venue has been compromised.
Do you have OCD by chance? Somehow I picture you as a frumpy old guy in tacky clothes, not married and using a toothbrush to clean all the oilspots in your driveway all the while muttering "stupid rep points, I'll show them, I'll burn this place to the ground" LMAO! Like that guy from "Office Space"! Melvin I think?

thanks AG.

Now I understand your intellectual point. The system is BS and BS bothers you a lot.

averageguy - You think the rep system is bullsh*t and that it doesn't work.

Fine then. IGNORE IT! Ignore the red ones, delight in the (few) green ones (but don't let them go to your head), and judge posts based on content rather than the amount of chicklets the poster has. Simple.

What's the BFD?!?!

If it's all bullsh*t to you, then surely you can find something more worthwhile to devote your time and energy to. Heck, it could even be something positive you could devote your time and energy to. Ya don't gotta bitch all the time, right?

But there is no question in my mind that the integrity of this venue has been compromised.
How can integrity be comprimised by something that is bullsh*t?

I too believe the rep system promotes childish "click" type behavior in many members here.
You're either in the click or you're not in the click.

I doubt that this childishly self-serving way of "chiclet" living here at BF is appropriate for any grown up.

With that said, I've been a "splendid one to behold" for way too long and it's time for me to move up to that "something to be proud of".

Hopefully, as a result of my talking out of both sides of my mouth over this issue in this post, I will reap many many more green chiclets from those here who are on either side of this sensitive issue to help give me something to be proud of.

EDITED TO ADD:
Plus, as pointed out by a fine moderator, I can't spell "click" correctly! :D

I had no idea what the rep point system was for the longest time. I have a habit of not reading directions before operating something so the features here at BF were unknown to me until I took the time to look into them. Basically I was ignorant of the rep system for quite awhile. I ventured into W&C and PC and that's when I was violated by the rep whores that frequent BF. :p :D On a serious side, I think the system can be used for good or evil. Everything in life can be abused to the point where some a**hat thinks it should be eliminated because they either don't like it or understand it. It just like gun control and now becoming more prominate, knife control. Just lighten up and enjoy BF. All it is is a form of entertainment and a place to learn and talk about a shared interest. There's no sense of getting your panties in a bunch. It comes down to being very simple, use or just lose it.
Scott

Watchful said:
A**hat?

That's a new one on me. And worth a couple of points.
I can't take credit for that one. When I first saw it used, I laughed so hard I just about fell out of my chair. :D
Scott

Geothorn...

I didnt run out of room (all that much.)

I had to check "disagree" about your post due to the way you summed up everything I was thinking.

I felt at the time, (and I still do) that your views were right in line with what I was about to write on.

Therefore it seemed only correct to ding you for being in total agreement with the things I wanted to write on.

When I get a chance, I will ding you again if you should again post what I believe was the wise position on a topic for me to take.

Back