SAK Mods! Post your pics, questions and ideas

84mm Waiter
-G10 scales with scale tools
-6AL-4V Titanium liners
-Polished tools and screws with sheepsfoot blade mod
-Phosphor Bronze washers
ki52ey1.jpg

kn7GzNB.jpg

Hey there. I have been looking for a better made SAK do you still sell these? Custom options? I really like the top one, I think you call it the super soldier. Thanks.
Thanks, yes I do build them still. I left my contact info on your profile

because the Walker is missing a cork screw and an awl, I had to rig up my own. Used a donor Handyman, removed every layer except for the saw layer and blade layer. Swapped out the small blade for a combo-tool, and also swapped in an awl on the back of the saw, in place of the small screwdriver. The awl needed some thinning to match the saw and back spring.

It turned out okay but far from perfect. The spring tension on the main blade isn’t as strong as I hoped, and it doesn’t have a lanyard ring; if I had sacrificed a Compact I suppose I could have had a lanyard ring.

I’ll be swapping out the red scales for some blue plus scales to increase visibility in the woods, along with a ferro rod in the scales and tinder in the corkscrew.
8sLl9ED.jpg

fevK0mf.jpg

because the Walker is missing a cork screw and an awl, I had to rig up my own.

Nice job. You basically made a smaller 91mm version of the old 108mm West German Army Knife (GAK). It was also 2 layers and it had the same basic tools, but with a slightly different configuration which put the combo tool on the end of the saw.

What you built can also be thought of as a Compact 2 layer version of the 3 layer Victorinox Camper model.

👍

because the Walker is missing a cork screw and an awl, I had to rig up my own. Used a donor Handyman, removed every layer except for the saw layer and blade layer. Swapped out the small blade for a combo-tool, and also swapped in an awl on the back of the saw, in place of the small screwdriver. The awl needed some thinning to match the saw and back spring.

It turned out okay but far from perfect. The spring tension on the main blade isn’t as strong as I hoped, and it doesn’t have a lanyard ring; if I had sacrificed a Compact I suppose I could have had a lanyard ring.

I’ll be swapping out the red scales for some blue plus scales to increase visibility in the woods, along with a ferro rod in the scales and tinder in the corkscrew.
8sLl9ED.jpg

fevK0mf.jpg
thats the knife Victorinox should build!!!

Another two layer build. Knifeless scientist. Just something I was intending to get around to but I never did until this morning.

inspector-gadget-1.jpg

There is no place for a key ring on a build like this. Some people would see that as a positive. It depends on what your preferences are.

2.jpg

Everything fits together nicely. The phillips driver doesn't hit the outer liner when it closes. This can be a common problem with two layer builds which include the inline phillips.

BTW, the scales are so worn out that they barely stay on. I only threw them on for the purpose of taking pictures. I will put nicer scales on later. ;)
edit2: I replaced the previous image with a new picture after I put a proper set of red PLUS scales on. The PLUS scales have an ink pen slot. I was going to go with something fancier but I realized that I had these and so I decided to use them instead. These scales are actually on properly because they aren't worn out like the previous set of scales. :)

inspector-gadget-3.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos. I'm just not good at taking pictures.

One thing that I found out is that it can be helpful to file just a tiny bit off of the bottom corner of the cap lifter near the pivot hole. This makes the opening of the tool a bit smoother. You don't need to remove a lot of material. Just a little bit is enough, and since it is around the pivot area, it doesn't affect the function of the tool nor would you even know that it had been done unless someone told you about it.

edit1: oops, almost forgot to include a shot of what the can opener and bottle opener look like when they are closed.

inspector-gadget-4.jpg

The nail nicks face out like they should. This can only be accomplished by swapping their positions, since they normally sit on the opposite side of the SAK. You also have to file off a portion of the knife layer's backspring to make the cap lifter sit lower down so that it is even with the can opener. I took a picture of the spring modification once... I'll try and dig it up...

Yeah, here it is:
spring.jpg

The one on top is and unmodified knife layer backspring. The one on bottom is the modified spring. Spot the difference. A small section of the bottom spring has been filed off.

Last edited:
Love the skeletonized scales.

Also love the IDEA of that socket tool. I only take issue with one part. Do you use it for a specific application, or is it an emergency socket wrench? Seems like a lot of space for an emergency socket wrench. As an electrician, I sometimes have issue with the outsode diameter of a socket, NM that extra metal. Is it for a bicycle?

Love the skeletonized scales.

Also love the IDEA of that socket tool. I only take issue with one part. Do you use it for a specific application, or is it an emergency socket wrench? Seems like a lot of space for an emergency socket wrench. As an electrician, I sometimes have issue with the outsode diameter of a socket, NM that extra metal. Is it for a bicycle?
If you’re referring to the Wenger tool, it is made for mountaineering and is used to adjust ski bindings and snow board hardware. The serrated locking blade can be opened with one hand to cut rope. The 1/4” hex hole in the scale holds screw driver bits. The file can sharpen the metal edges of skis and boards. The can opener and cap lifter are handy opening containers at high altitudes. The hex piercings in the blade are 7mm, 10mm, and 13mm.

IMG_4895.jpeg

If you’re referring to the Wenger tool, it is made for mountaineering and is used to adjust ski bindings and snow board hardware. The serrated locking blade can be opened with one hand to cut rope. The 1/4” hex hole in the scale holds screw driver bits. The file can sharpen the metal edges of skis and boards. The can opener and cap lifter are handy opening containers at high altitudes. The hex piercings in the blade are 7mm, 10mm, and 13mm.

View attachment 2493400
very cool... i thought that was a homemade tool.

Back