Should I worry about Sak scales?

I really like classic Sak knives. My favorites are perhaps the Waiter and the Tourist. I seldomly use my Spartan but am thinking of getting a alox scaled Pioneer since I'm worrying about ruining the scales on my Spartan, or even that they will break. Is that common? Are they easy to replace? Never happened so far, though.

Regards
Erik

The cellidor scales are very resilient. I don't think I've ever had one break, or even pop off of a SAK that fell on the floor. They scratch very easily in daily use, but as others have already said, they are also easy to polish. I actually prefer the cellidor scales over the alox scales because they're replaceable. When the anodization gets rubbed off of the alox scales, you can't really fix that.

Like everyone said, it is easy to starch the cellidor scales but I never did break one of all these years using SAKs. Whenever I did manage to scratch up the scales, I use the Novus solutions(from container store) to remove the light scratches and bring back the 'shine'.

But if you'd like, you could also switch to a new set of replacement scales(to try new colors).

There are many youtube tutorials on how best to do it, but simply put, remove all the accessories(toothpick, tweezer, pen, etc) from the scales, submerge the whole tool in 160F water for 2-3 min, then quickly remove it and use a very small flathead to pop the scales off by insert it into the toothpick/tweezer slot.

If you'd like to keep those old scales, I do suggest to immediately put them under a big heavy book so it would cool down to its original shape.

For new scales, just align them directly onto the rivets, wrap the whole thing in heavy cloth/leather, then use a vise to slowly compress it back on.

VTLNg66.jpg

Scratches, yo.

I had the scales on a small tinker break out by the toothpick and tweezer holes... I just used some super glue to put the pieces back in. For what it costs to replace them it isn't anything to worry about, like everyone else has already said.

The Powernoodle Principal posits that we should use our guns, knives, SAKs, MTs and Man Sacks while the sun still shines. Because when I croak and am emancipated from this glorious, awe-inspiring body, Mrs. Powernoodle may find a new and lesser husband. And when this new and lesser husband inherits my toys, I want him to fully understand that I was here first, and enjoyed the best years of both Mrs. Powernoodle and my Man Toys. When he looks at my Swiss Army Knives, he will see squirrel blood, biscuit gravy, drywall dust and fingerprints. Perish the thought of him finding a safe queen to call his own. And for the remainder of his days, he will be living in my shadow. He will know it, and so will Mrs. Powernoodle. So boys, use those toys while the sun still shines. Plant your flag. Leave your fingerprints on the world while you still can.

AZTTNP7.jpg

The Powernoodle Principal posits that we should use our guns, knives, SAKs, MTs and Man Sacks while the sun still shines. Because when I croak and am emancipated from this glorious, awe-inspiring body, Mrs. Powernoodle may find a new and lesser husband. And when this new and lesser husband inherits my toys, I want him to fully understand that I was here first, and enjoyed the best years of both Mrs. Powernoodle and my Man Toys. When he looks at my Swiss Army Knives, he will see squirrel blood, biscuit gravy, drywall dust and fingerprints. Perish the thought of him finding a safe queen to call his own. And for the remainder of his days, he will be living in my shadow. He will know it, and so will Mrs. Powernoodle. So boys, use those toys while the sun still shines. Plant your flag. Leave your fingerprints on the world while you still can.

AZTTNP7.jpg
Brilliantly written, I do agree, dear sir.

I've managed to chip the scales on a couple SAK's over the years, but it was almost always because I dropped them on a hard surface. Like others have said though, they're easily replaceable, and not all that expensive.

I'm sure jacknife will come along and whine about his Tinker that the scale broke when he dropped it. It can happen. They are cheap and easy to replace. For that matter, the whole knife is cheap and easy to replace. Why worry about it?

Just yesterday I dropped my Classic on the tile floor in my house. Nothing happened. SAK's are made to be used and the cellidor scales are perfect for it. They don't break easily and will last decades easily as well. Look at all those vintage SAK's many people have and still use happily. Should you be unfortunate and break one, new scales can easily be sourced for little money as well. Handles made from Horn, stag, bone, fancy woods etc. are very nice to look at, but for a knife that is made to be used, I prefer a lasting synthetic material like cellidor.

I really like classic Sak knives. My favorites are perhaps the Waiter and the Tourist. I seldomly use my Spartan but am thinking of getting a alox scaled Pioneer since I'm worrying about ruining the scales on my Spartan, or even that they will break. Is that common? Are they easy to replace? Never happened so far, though.

Regards
Erik

Search on Etsy for "Victorinox scales." You'll find some sellers there who sell stock replacement scales, and some who make scales out of micarta, G10, wood and even titanium. I got some micarta scales from a seller named Taschenmesser for my Rambler. They were easy to install, look great, and seem to be quite durable.

AZTTNP7.jpg
I'm making this into a T-Shirt my friend with you listed as the author of such a fine and profound philosophy :cool: :thumbsup:

Back