Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

17956C30-2075-4FA1-98ED-57521B58278D.jpeg

A new one on me. 😊
55DA4F9D-7A5E-4605-A4FD-AE2276E66E9F.jpeg

It’s really funny how things turn up.....
A few weeks ago (post #502) I’d never heard of Danish Steel Industry until I picked up the hatchet & today a hammer turns up! And what I first thought was a Hacksaw but is either a wood Bowsaw or a garden saw, never seen one like it. And a small strapped claw hammer with it’s original handle intact!.

5D34C7B8-18E3-4BF5-A205-3D689425EB84.jpeg

& today a hammer turns up!

That's a nice cross-pein there. It appears to've never been dressed,that or it maybe was used only for some very light/delicate work. With that chip in the face ground some it'd make a very decent hammer...(and i'd soften/radius/chamfer the facets of that pein as well too).

It's like when I get a new car and from that point on begin noticing how many of those cars there are being driven that I'd never noticed before. It can be a bit deflating depending on how deeply you identify with things.

You'd want to confirm it on your own but it could be that the saw is for butchering.

That's a nice cross-pein there. It appears to've never been dressed,that or it maybe was used only for some very light/delicate work. With that chip in the face ground some it'd make a very decent hammer...(and i'd soften/radius/chamfer the facets of that pein as well too).

The cross pein is in fact fairly smooth, it just looks sharp in the image. I'd usually just pass on a hammer with a chipped face (unless it's a good hunk of metal for re-forging), it was the makers mark that made it come home with me, but yes I'll end up dressing up that face as I won't be able to stand looking at it like that!

It's like when I get a new car and from that point on begin noticing how many of those cars there are being driven that I'd never noticed before. It can be a bit deflating depending on how deeply you identify with things.
You'd want to confirm it on your own but it could be that the saw is for butchering.

I know what you mean regarding spotting things once you really start taking notice.... but I don't see a huge amount of old hatchets & hammers..... we will see if another comes along!

It crossed my mind the saw might have been for bone, I don't know I'll try & find out.. wood, garden or bone, it must be one!

This is a strange one, not an axe but related to arguably some of the best axes & saws ever made.
A really nice old hammer marked Sandvik, thing is after searching I can't find anything out about it, the script not only is upsidedown compared to most hammers but is written in a style I haven't yet found for Sandvik, also missing the fish hook logo or Sweden.
The closest script I've seen is on old Sandvik 225 hacksaw frames (I have one somewhere, one of the best hacksaws), with the capital K written in a similar way.
I can only imagine that this is very old?
2,20 = 1kg
"Prima"?

CD2A44CA-C243-4AF7-9F53-06DBFF79BFA7.jpeg

7BD6FDF3-0182-4663-9885-C31786FBE63D.jpeg

A4996A80-C529-4F53-A609-EC5571DC47E5.jpeg

Anyone know anything?
Nice hammer though, weight is very much hammer face heavy where as other cross peins I have are a bit more balanced. The handle is split on the other side so I'll rehandle it.

Last edited:
I recall that Sandvik, at least for a time, had a manufacturing plant in Portugal. That might be where it's from.

I wouldn't want to use the pein end of that hammer because of the balance issue you pointed out. It's the first thing I saw as well.

After ten months without posting anything in this thread...

A small “Olivo” head (I’ve posted in the “Mini Hatchet” thread) picked up last weekend that I’ve just thinned a handle down for.
8.4oz (240g) 4.5 x 3” head, 13.5” handle (90mm SAK).

82269201-B049-4C36-9BFA-A13F4229253A.jpeg

4243FC5D-518A-489A-AAF2-3CBB15E53BA4.jpeg

Ramon Onraita from Guipuzcoa in the Basque region of Spain might have made this because Olivo brand was originally made by “Arrue Brothers" in the same town before being bought by Ramon Onraita at some point, Ramon Onraita closing sometime in the 90’s.

From post #173 in this thread, two other Olivo heads, the small one the same as this one but worse condition.

Qdf0NXW.jpg

bdnnA1C.jpg

Arrue catalogue images.

1D59CCF4262E595465EA38595442CC~2.jpg

2159CCF3FD30595465BF33595442A3~2.jpg

And a Ramon Onraita marked 2.6lb (1.2kg) head found yesterday. 7 x 5”.
In need of a clean...

54CF0016-BD7D-4B39-A4B7-D9E7214FD6B5.jpeg

Last edited:
So after a rust removal it looks like this.

73A4B6F3-287D-47AE-A3B8-327761E1DB46.jpeg

AA1F0C32-3656-41FD-BD8A-17743AA388B1.jpeg

Here is the Ramon Onraita catalogue which shows it in it's 31 different weights!!!
This one being the 1200g.
The tiny Olivo hatchet from the post about at 250g is the lightest of the same Ramon Onraita branded ones shown with again 31 weight choices, the only difference being the square & round poll.

2157AE564C245735BB24215735A4F2~2.jpg

2557AE56C5215735BB9F255735A56B~2.jpg

Because of a property move most of my axes & hatchets are packed away but when I get a chance I'll have to see what weights I have, all will be in this thread but I'm not wading through it.
One thing's for sure, I've only got a tiny fraction of what was available, imagine having the full collection!
I find it hard to believe there were so many in just 100g (3.5oz) increments & even 50g, & wonder why? Did folks really prefer a 1.7kg rather than a 1.75kg!?

Last edited:
Well I was in a large builders supplier yesterday & saw a new hammer that I recognised from post #190 which just happens to be five years ago tomorrow!

1yMnPB8.jpg

At the time there was no definite answer to what it was, most likely either a stone or climbers hammer... 4.5lb.

HAZn8ZX.jpg

So I had an opportunity to ask, the guy in the shop looked at me like I was stupid for asking & confirmed it to be a stone masons hammer.
The look was probably deserved seeing as I was in a building supplies, a climber's piton hammer would probably have been out of place....... I did clean & handle it but don't have access to it since a house move.....

Lie Nielson.......
😳
Not very Axe like but I know there are a fair few woodworkers here.

0SmJ7PQ.jpg

MtI0TGS.jpg

Not sure if I can save it but it'll be quite a paperweight if not! 😄
Some folks don't deserve nice tools.. thought I don't know the history & I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

Last edited:
Lie Nielson.......
😳
Not very Axe like but I know there are a fair few woodworkers here.

0SmJ7PQ.jpg

MtI0TGS.jpg

Not sure if I can save it but it'll be quite a paperweight if not! 😄
Some folks don't deserve nice tools.. thought I don't know the history & I'm sure it wasn't intentional.
It may take some time and effort , but this Plane can be saved , although it may show a few battle scars , but it will most probably still work fine.
This is a good tool , if it was mine , I would make the effort.
Best of luck with this project.

You’ll bring it back, probably better than new.

Parker

Thanks, but these are super well finished new, so I doubt it! 😄. They were (are) probably the most expensive planes....

It may take some time and effort , but this Plane can be saved , although it may show a few battle scars , but it will most probably still work fine.
This is a good tool , if it was mine , I would make the effort.
Best of luck with this project.

It was found in amongst lots of stuff in a tool box that might have been in a flood then left....

The pitting is really deep in places, there is only so much iron that can be removed from the sole before it adversely affects the throat opening though it is adjustable so that helps a tiny bit, as you say it'll have some battle scars as it'll be impossible to remove all the pits.

Anyway I'll give it a go, there's nothing to lose!

Thanks, but these are super well finished new, so I doubt it! 😄. They were (are) probably the most expensive planes....

It was found in amongst lots of stuff in a tool box that might have been in a flood then left....

The pitting is really deep in places, there is only so much iron that can be removed from the sole before it adversely affects the throat opening though it is adjustable so that helps a tiny bit, as you say it'll have some battle scars as it'll be impossible to remove all the pits.

Anyway I'll give it a go, there's nothing to lose!
If the pitting on the sole is not too bad around the throat opening , and you can flatten the sole and sides uniformly , (don't try to remove all the pitting) , the plane should still work well , some pitting does not really matter elsewhere on the sole.
I have found that putting some hard wax on the sole and sides after trueing it up helps when the time comes to use it.
Please keep us informed how this project works out.
Thanks.

Again apologies for non axey content......

So I went to town on the Plane by rubbing on a long strip of 24 grit on plate glass, I was quite surprised how soft the iron was & how quickly it reduced, L.N refers to it as "Ductile iron" & seems a bit softer than the old Stanley (cast?) iron, one benefit being maybe its not as brittle, but that's just guessing on my part.
I didn't go too mad on the finish as it'd be a bit wasted with the pitting that was very deep & now quite reduced but still there, some more effort with 80,180 to 240 got it to a usable state.

H4nJ5P0.jpg

0SmJ7PQ.jpg

O1GPfpk.jpg

qF9OxaI.jpg

I didn't even go as far as getting all the scratches out, here & there there's a few scratches from the 24 grit but nothing too deep & it's certainly not going to affect it's use.
It was just a bit of luck that the parts that really matter like the lower of the cutting iron & the frog area where it sits were rust free. Looking forward to using it now. 🙂

Nicely done , I am sure that you will get great pleasure when using this Block Plane , it is very rewarding when one is able to rescue such a fine tool as this.

Also not Axe related - sorry , but I think it will be of interest to some.
I found this old Stanley Number 53 adjustable throat Spokeshave recently.
I have not done any work on it yet , the pictures show what I actually found.
I think that this tool dates from the 1930's , but I could be wrong.
This spokeshave has obviously had a long and hard life , but it appears to have been well loved , judging by the condition in which I found it and the repairs that have been made.
I plan on bringing this tool back to life and using it , I will NOT be repainting it.
The cutting iron has been worn out and will have to be replaced , I will either have to make a new cutting iron from scratch , or else adapt a new spokeshave cutting iron to the body.
Just surmising here , but I think that this tool probably originally belonged to a Cooper.

The cutting iron has been worn out and will have to be replaced , I will either have to make a new cutting iron from scratch, or else adapt a new spokeshave cutting iron to the body.

Sadly wrong side of the pond for you (assumption on my part)......you could drop them an email for shipping?
Edit- I've just seen they state UK addresses only.....

Good luck, that's a nice find. 👍

Last edited:
Back